My first attempt at aquascaping a planted tank

Hi! What are your thoughts? I added a little height in the back with some crumbled lava rock and some ceramic things. Do you think I should get another small bag of soil? Any advice before I glue it down and plant! My plants have arrived 😃! Almost $100 bucks worth! Thanks Aquariumcoop they look good IMG_20220702_163208198_HDR.jpg.15e644abedabdc584900cdf6edc2f864.jpg

IMG_20220702_163229538.jpg

• Like 2

I’d get a background for sure. Black, frosted and blue gradient are my favorites. 
Check out MD fish tanks YouTube for hundreds of videos on beginner and intermediate aquascaping. 
The Aquarium Co-op channel has some aquascaping tutorials but also tons of amazing info on growing the different types of plants and caring for the fish. 

• Like 2

You're so inventive! I wouldn't have thought to use slate pieces to hold the substrate in place. I'm going to try that in one of my tanks! I can't wait to see how you decide to arrange everything, cool job!!!

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’d get a background for sure. Black, frosted and blue gradient are my favorites. 
Check out MD fish tanks YouTube for hundreds of videos on beginner and intermediate aquascaping. 
The Aquarium Co-op channel has some aquascaping tutorials but also tons of amazing info on growing the different types of plants and caring for the fish. 

Where did you get your backgrounds? For my tanks I just used some window film but when the plants are still short I still see some bubbles, after they grow in I don't though. 

I actually really like the scape.  I sense some moss in your future!

I am excited to see it whenever it's planted.  Nice work.

On 7/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, dan12boy said:

Where did you get your backgrounds? For my tanks I just used some window film but when the plants are still short I still see some bubbles, after they grow in I don't though. 

I got mine from amazon, nothing fancy, but just 100% black tint window film.  If you have bubbles, just re-apply it and then use a scraper to remove them.

On 7/2/2022 at 4:56 PM, Reneenay said:

IMG_20220702_163208198_HDR.jpg.15e644abedabdc584900cdf6edc2f864.jpg

This one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 7:12 PM, lefty o said:

the most important thing about a scape is... it has to look good to you. if it looks pleasing to your eye, its good.

This 100%!  I can’t wait too see every step!  It’s gonna look great!  I used that privacy film because it peels off so easy and I’m fickle.  But but then I could see a lot of bubbles and it was a mess so thats gone☺️ I was going to paint but I’d have to lower all the water to move it out to paint so now I’m not going anything and you really can’t see much because my plants are so tall.

Your off to a great start and I cannot wait to see the end results♥️

• Like 2

Hi Reenay 

I am anxious to see how you are progressing as I get close to taking my attempt into a project like this. I am already going to borrow your thin pieces of slate idea. I think that is awesome.

if you don’t mind, I am curious as to what type of substrate are you using?
Is it a red or brown fluorite of some sort, or is it just small river stone/gravel.

I am kind of assuming it is some kind of pre fertilized substance.

Thanks and I hope all is going well and when you get a chance it would be nice to see an update.

IMG_20220703_162703435.jpg.b0dd68dab25a83383b4adba4d0f3ae4e.jpgOk here it is! In the front I have Cryptocoryne L  something on the left, a small carpeting plant ☘️ (..it's the only one I didn't order here!)In the center Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, and on the left a.clump.of dwarf Sagittaria, there's 2 java ferns that I'll glue to.the wood to after the tall leaves melt back. In the back there's an Amazon sword on the left, Aponogeton Crispus in the center back and Bacoba Carolina next to it. I have java moss I'll be tying down next water change. Nice huh! Oh and there's an Anubis nana petite on the wood. I'm getting another one..

IMG_20220706_131540288_HDR.jpg

Edited by Reneenay
Forgot to include something
  • Like 2

On 7/7/2022 at 1:41 PM, Reneenay said:

IMG_20220703_162703435.jpg.b0dd68dab25a83383b4adba4d0f3ae4e.jpg

That moss ball in the middle, is it attached?  You might want to cut it up into little pieces (say 1/4" long) and then glue them to the branch along the length of it.  Here's a cool video I found today featuring Amano doing this technique.

It's "java moss" that I ordered here! I mean to do that next time the wood is sticking out during a water change. Or just tie it on with thread. The java ferns too once they melt back. 

On 7/6/2022 at 3:23 AM, Charleston Cory said:

Hi Reenay 

I am anxious to see how you are progressing as I get close to taking my attempt into a project like this. I am already going to borrow your thin pieces of slate idea. I think that is awesome.

if you don’t mind, I am curious as to what type of substrate are you using?
Is it a red or brown fluorite of some sort, or is it just small river stone/gravel.

I am kind of assuming it is some kind of pre fertilized substance.

Thanks and I hope all is going well and when you get a chance it would be nice to see an update.

It's contro soil which was expensive but it's supposed to be great so..

On 7/7/2022 at 4:41 PM, Reneenay said:

IMG_20220703_162703435.jpg.b0dd68dab25a83383b4adba4d0f3ae4e.jpgOk here it is! In the front I have Cryptocoryne L  something on the left, a small carpeting plant ☘️ (..it's the only one I didn't order here!)In the center Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, and on the left a.clump.of dwarf Sagittaria, there's 2 java ferns that I'll glue to.the wood to after the tall leaves melt back. In the back there's an Amazon sword on the left, Aponogeton Crispus in the center back and Bacoba Carolina next to it. I have java moss I'll be tying down next water change. Nice huh! Oh and there's an Anubis nana petite on the wood. I'm getting another one..

IMG_20220706_131540288_HDR.jpg

Beautiful!!  This looks amazing!!  Way better than my first aquascape  🙂  I only have two groupings of Java Ferns.  You did amazing!!  🙂

Hi everyone. It's been 2 weeks and the tank is done cycling, almost.  But the plants are doing great. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves 😉

1. Dwarf grass is sending out shoots. 2. The big picture

3. The Apondo? Crispus is really taking off!

4. The Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red is re growing after completely disappearing for week.

5. The tiny plants that came in a cup the guy at the pet store sold me. Hard to plant!  I couldn't get all of the roots under the soil but they're growing up anyway. 

6. I really like how to this Cryptocoryne is twisting around the driftwood. The driftwood has biofilm. Unsightly but a good sign. So far so good!

IMG_20220715_122151321.jpg

IMG_20220715_122107411.jpg

IMG_20220715_122047559.jpg

IMG_20220715_122038111.jpg

IMG_20220715_122017526.jpg

Here's the dwarf grass 

IMG_20220715_122125032.jpg

On 7/3/2022 at 4:51 AM, Marcelo said:

I personally liked but if you want to get some advanced advice, look for “golden ratio”. Google it 

https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping-wiki_aquascaping_aquascaping-with-the-golden-ratio

I know about the golden ratio and the different styles but being of limited choices, what they had available at the pet store and then trying different angles until you find one that fits so that everything will be easy to glue together. Someday I'll have lots of wood and rocks to choose from and a tank just for growing my own plants from what I have and I'll have more choices. 😉

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 4:09 PM, Reneenay said:

I know about the golden ratio and the different styles but being of limited choices, what they had available at the pet store and then trying different angles until you find one that fits so that everything will be easy to glue together. Someday I'll have lots of wood and rocks to choose from and a tank just for growing my own plants from what I have and I'll have more choices. 😉

I know !!!! It’s easier to say than to do 🤣 anyway …. The good news is you put your hands into the tank and move things later 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1