On 12/14/2023 at 2:33 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The tetras were LOVING life at this point. LOL! Spike didn’t swim but an inch, and I could see the wobble was present.

Are you able to move out the tetras any time soon?

On 12/13/2023 at 8:15 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:
On 12/13/2023 at 8:09 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I wonder if there's anything going on with his swim bladder. Would that cause dragging like that?

@3:45 in the video.

2:43 also

& not sure. I’ve never had a fish with a swim bladder ailment.

@Colu and @Odd Duck If you have any thoughts based on the video it would greatly help to try to make the right next step. OD mentioned being extremely busy this week, but just wanted to tag for the sake of helping at all. Thank you both. We appreciate you!

• Like 1

parasitic infection can affect the swim bladder coupled  with ammonia  he's been exposed due to defective test strips that could have  affected the swim bladder I can't see the video I would keep going with the salt that will help with any potential ammonia poisoning and monitor if you can repost the video just in case something else is going on @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:51 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It may just be me and being paranoid but I would not move them being in a tank with a sick fish. I would wait 3 weeks after Spikes issues resolve before risking introducing something to a community that carried over with the tetras. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/13/2023 at 7:58 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

This is a 13 min video of Spike at feeding time. It probably won’t hold your attention, but anyway. This is what’s going on. It is kind of encouraging that he is hanging near the food, and I believe I saw one or two nips at it. But you can tell the little guy is not feeling well. 

There is just a sponge filter and an airstone in there, and a heater. The

@Colu Here's the vid.  I noticed some listing to the side at the 3:45 mark or so and @Chick-In-Of-TheSea mentioned also seeing it at the 2:43 mark.

On 12/14/2023 at 6:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

It may just be me and being paranoid but I would not move them being in a tank with a sick fish. I would wait 3 weeks after Spikes issues resolve before risking introducing something to a community that carried over with the tetras. 

I understand, I agree.  I just really don't know what else to do as far as reducing the stress on Spike.  Watching the feeding, the tetras are immensely active and he's just sort of staring at them with the, "you done yet"?

I don't think rams are timid at all, and being able to cut way back on the food would help the bacteria in the tank as well.  I'm not sure when the tetras are safe to move... but I think removing them may help in some way, that's all.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 8:51 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

My principle is, if one fish in a tank is sick, they all could be sick, even if not showing symptoms. All these fish are new.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I don't think rams are timid at all, and being able to cut way back on the food would help the bacteria in the tank as well

I remove uneaten food within 30 min unless it is live worms or Repashy. 30 min because Spike is slow to act. I set a timer.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:34 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I don't think rams are timid at all, and being able to cut way back on the food would help the bacteria in the tank as well.  I'm not sure when the tetras are safe to move... but I think removing them may help in some way, that's all.

Yes, Spike would have less competition for sure. I target feed Spike. I will drop the food in front of his face with tongs so he has first pick. I’m not opposed to a bucket qt for the tetras but I’m out of heaters and established media that I can move without affecting its current tank cycle. Pleco kid started qt in 2nd tank on 12/2 so maybe 1/2 he can go to the community and Spike can live in his tank. The pleco seems very healthy!  (I would continue the @Odd Duck deworming treatment on both tanks in that situation.)

Also the ammonia in Spike’s tank has been holding at zero!

the video 

@Colu

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 2

On 12/15/2023 at 11:34 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

A post, and a decision, I never want to make. It was necessary to euthanize Spike this morning. He was at about 5% life when I checked on him; he was suffering. Thanks to all for sticking with me through this. 

Sorry for your loss 

• Thanks 1

Snoopy is ticked off! Despite sending them down the tube to target Snoop, the tetras pushed in and stole 95% of the white worms! After they already ate a ton of grindals!

I did reattempt, to make sure she got a few with the baster then. But this happened afterward. She’s holding a grudge and wants her space!

She is particularly annoyed with the pristellas. The black neons she doesn’t seem to mind.

Part of the prob is she instantly wants to rub her belly in the worms (shown in a previous vid), the worms float about, and it’s fair game to whoever is around…

IMG_6587.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 4

On 12/15/2023 at 3:34 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

A post, and a decision, I never want to make. It was necessary to euthanize Spike this morning. He was at about 5% life when I checked on him; he was suffering. Thanks to all for sticking with me through this. 

I was reading through your journal cause I missed out on a lot and got excited that you got Snoopy a partner. Then got sad as I reached the last page. I'm really sorry for your loss. 😞

I just want to add another way for sexing bolivian rams and this has been true with all the rams I kept.

If the breeding tube isn't out, the pelvic fins and anal fin are a good way to determine sex. This applies to adults or young adults only, when their fins are more grown or bigger. 

With males, the pelvic fins will touch the anal fin when folded. It will never touch for females no matter how grown they are. I currently have 4 females and they're around 3" or maybe a bit bigger and their pelvic fins never touches the anal fin.

Hopefully it helps if you decide to buy another male for Snoopy.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, Snoopy was actually eating those. They are calcium. She’d carry it around and then take a bite out of it like a potato chip. Then I saw her go back and finish the rest. This was after she ate worms, and vibra bites.. I guess she wanted to sample the whole buffet tonight!  Also I was wondering how those snail foods ended up out of the food dish and scattered around. Now I know. 🤣

There are not many foods she doesn’t like. Loves squash, zucchini, pumpkin, Snello. But doesn’t touch broccoli or green bean. Typical kid.

• Love 2

• 4 weeks later...