On 6/30/2022 at 12:30 PM, Wrencher_Scott said:

I got rid of a bunch of Red eye tetras for the exact same reason. 

That's my suggestion.

In reading this, I am planning a Discus tank...would you not recommend Tetras of any kind in there for these reasons? I know Discus can be timid and I don't want a bunch of swarming on them when I am attempting to hand feed or spot feed them

On 7/29/2023 at 10:36 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I respect and appreciate that.

For sure.

It's unfortunate and hopefully you're able to (eventually) find what you're looking for.  I am not sure how the behavior or color will change, but let's say you get another female, win.  Lets say you get a male, win.   The only real "risk" so to speak would be if you had a male and added a male and they just decided to be crazy at one another. 

As we recently saw with another forum member doing the same thing, I am excited to see it (if/when).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2023 at 7:53 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The LFS put me on a list to get a call when Bolivian rams come in. I think it would be interesting so see how Snoopy reacts with a few friends. Bolivians are not popular and it could be a bit of a wait, but we will see what happens.

Careful, if you get more, snoopers personality may change drastically. After I got puff (my small female ram) spooky has done nothing but chase her around

IMG_2326.jpeg.6ba9acda34eccd158775da87a3bd41d7.jpeg

also puff chases around the peppered cories

Edited by The endler guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2023 at 4:34 PM, GoofyGarra said:

i meant like personality and interaction and intelligence wise. sorry for the confusion.

She does have a personality and tries to get my attention even when I’m across the room. But she also acts like a dum dum at times too. For example, when I’m feeding a tank, there will be 18 fish going after food and she doesn’t realize there is food. She is just milling about.

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2023 at 6:19 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

For example, when I’m feeding a tank, there will be 18 fish going after food and she doesn’t realize there is food. She is just milling about.

Mine was the same way.... 😂.  He would wait for the active fish to go away then would go in or he'd do what the amano's do and strike first, try to run back to his little territory with the spoils.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2023 at 11:14 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Mine was the same way.... 😂.  He would wait for the active fish to go away then would go in or he'd do what the amano's do and strike first, try to run back to his little territory with the spoils.

Snoop has taken a liking to Snellos. But I also make sure I get some vibra bites or frozen foods down to her too. Plus her sand sifting hobby gets her some noms.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was in big box today to buy a small piece of mopani to get some extra tannins going on Geppetto’s tank vs doing the rooibos tea every water change. I looked up at a tank (I rarely look at tanks in big box store) and I stopped dead in my tracks. I saw like 5 Snoopys in a tank. Now mind you, I haven’t seen Bolivian rams in about a year, not even at Aquashella. They were labeled as Ruby Clown Cichlids. Hence they were priced at $7.99 instead of $14.99…. Just as a reminder, when I bought Snoopy she was labeled as a “red ram”, whatever that is.

So my friend who always swoons over Snoopy has been wanting one very much, so I did get one for her, and I spent, no lie, like 45 minutes in the store trying to decide what to do for myself and trying to sex the fish. Because I want Snoopy to stop glass surfing. I hate when fish do that, and I believe it’s out of boredom (although some of it is to get my attention too). The truth is, she’s been doing this a long time, and I always feel like she deserves better, socially.

I believe, (and I explained to the associate what I was looking for, and she helped look for those features) that I got a male. We made sure NO breeding tube, the bump on head, looked at pointy fins. This could be an epic failure but because I have seen one success story by @xXInkedPhoenixX who definitely has a male and a female, I would like to try this out, under careful observation. I am taking everyone’s experiences very seriously, however. If things go south, I have an extra tank as well as hobbyist friends who live closeby and could potentially adopt.

Now this is a terrible pic because the fish is confused/just was transported. Also I had to take it with the light out to ease stress of reflections.

IMG_6108.jpeg.ca7027f39c9a761453ef50d28951f04d.jpeg

Maybe I can get better pic later. (A little sunken belly, no?) Anyway, this fish is in with the new ember tetra which were recently started on preventative paracleanse. Also there are live brine shrimps hatched out and are ready for the morning feeding tomorrow for all the tanks. The paracleanse is a 7 day soak (ACO instructions) and then water change with 2 week rest, then we repeat 7 day soak.

Again, this could crash and burn.. or it couldn’t. For now 1 month (minimum) quarantine .

Oh also, friend’s ram has separate setup in a bucket and will be picked up in the next day or so.

IMG_6104.jpeg

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Love 2