Hello. I’ve kept and bred Bolivians before and I think snoopy is a female. I’m not an expert but I’ve been 99.9% accurate over the ones I’ve bought and kept. I’ve also kept females with longer and pointy fins. I learned to go by the face and shape of the body. It’s really difficult to tell when they’re young but once you get the hang of it you’ll be able to see the differences quicker. Once they reach sexual maturity you can really tell the difference. 

Here’s my current pair for reference and also a picture of just the male. You can see that Snoopy’s face shape is much closer to my female. 

F137CA3C-079E-45FD-B5F5-8B6F2D6A66DE.jpeg

ED812D08-08BA-47BF-B400-4E60BFC6BF9A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

On 1/6/2023 at 1:53 PM, knee said:

Hello. I’ve kept and bred Bolivians before and I think snoopy is a female. I’m not an expert but I’ve been 99.9% accurate over the ones I’ve bought and kept. I’ve also kept females with longer and pointy fins. I learned to go by the face and shape of the body. It’s really difficult to tell when they’re young but once you get the hang of it you’ll be able to see the differences quicker. Once they reach sexual maturity you can really tell the difference. 

Here’s my current pair for reference and also a picture of just the male. You can see that Snoopy’s face shape is much closer to my female. 

F137CA3C-079E-45FD-B5F5-8B6F2D6A66DE.jpeg

ED812D08-08BA-47BF-B400-4E60BFC6BF9A.jpeg

I thought it was a girl at first (see beginning of journal) but then I thought not because of the pointy fins and the prominent spike. I don’t know! Lol

How do you get such vibrant colors? What diet do you feed?

On 1/6/2023 at 11:08 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I thought it was a girl at first (see beginning of journal) but then I thought not because of the pointy fins and the prominent spike. I don’t know! Lol

How do you get such vibrant colors? What diet do you feed?

I'd say she's 99.9% female and if I'm correct, you have a really nice looking one. I've kept females that looked like actual males except for the face shape. My female doesn't have trailers and I've been looking everywhere for a nicer looking one 

My staple is Northfin krill, north fin community, north fin bug pellets and hikari vibra bites mixed in together and fed to them and my other fish twice a day. I feed them frozen food twice a week, sometimes three. I switch between spirulina enhanced brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and bloodworms. 

I also give them frozen daphnia every other day but that's mostly for the nano fish in the tank with them.

Edited by knee
  • Thanks 1

Easiest way for me to tell is the dorsal rays on the fin.  Secondly is the pectoral fins (females, like corydoras are rounded) and there is head shape, but it can be difficult to tell. 

Males have the first few rays that are raised, for bolivians that's almost always a given characteristic.  The tail rays are usually indicative as well, but that isn't really a certainty on some batches.   I'd have to see some more shots of snoopy with the fin stretched out, but I think for everything I've seen it's a boy.

Not that it matters either way.... Snoopy is dope. He/She knows it.

• Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 7:12 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Easiest way for me to tell is the dorsal rays on the fin.  Secondly is the pectoral fins (females, like corydoras are rounded) and there is head shape, but it can be difficult to tell. 

Males have the first few rays that are raised, for bolivians that's almost always a given characteristic.  The tail rays are usually indicative as well, but that isn't really a certainty on some batches.   I'd have to see some more shots of snoopy with the fin stretched out, but I think for everything I've seen it's a boy.

Not that it matters either way.... Snoopy is dope. He/She knows it.

Photo dump

3882222E-BE95-48E0-9D50-183AB1274474.jpeg

CDCF66CF-CE02-42B2-AC7C-5AA03E2C8F10.jpeg

184F5BC4-6297-4A1B-89E8-57EFA33C0393.jpeg

8C6904D4-0F33-4A79-8F73-EB7D6D2D9910.jpeg

F7C5B965-9498-4E88-8A3F-A722883E0827.jpeg

32433AB7-B6FB-4EB1-9D0A-D9495E1A20B0.jpeg

06866F27-62B5-4251-AB6E-17F786CD0D98.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2