AA (Aquarists Anonymous)

Cinnebuns

This is a safe space. Confess what in the hobby you can't resist. What gets your impulse control triggered the most?  What makes you feel the need for more more more?  The first step is admitting you have a problem. 

My name is Cinnebuns and I can't stop myself from buying snails.

Seriously. I said "enough" at 2 mystery, 2 JTS and 3 nerite. I said "too many" at 5 mystery, 2 JTS and 5 nerite. After today I have 7 mystery, 3 JTS adults (plus babies but I didn't buy them so they don't count!) and 6 nerites. OH AND 5 more nerites are coming in the mail tomorrow. I gave someone 2 nerites for free today cause I think it was for the best lol

How do you stop the snail addiction?  Is enough ever enough?  Should I stop fighting and embrace it? Given of course available space and bioload things. 

I need help!

• Like 3

On 5/25/2022 at 11:46 PM, Cinnebuns said:

My name is Cinnebuns and I can't stop myself from buying snails.

OH. MY. GOODNESS.......

Literally giggled, but I also totally am afraid of seeing one.  I loved the nerite I had, but got really annoyed when my tank had egg casings all over.

My biggest issue, hands down, is just being so frustrated that I feel like there's no point to certain things.  Algae in my QT tank is INSANE right now and it got to the point where my anubias was just a host for it to woft in the wind.  After a month I stopped trying to save the plant and just pulled all the leaves that were struggling. Some success, but when I see the algae taking over as fast as the leaves would grow, the amano shrimp ignoring it, and seeing so much imbalance in the water quality..... I get annoyed and just let it stew. 

You wake up one day, turn into a MLB in the NFL and I kicked the algae off of the filter and I've been fighting it back ever since, again.  By no means is the fight even close, but at least I'm back to trying.  Algae kills me, and makes me want to just toss it all away and start over.  "it's all contaminated now" mentality.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:46 PM, Cinnebuns said:

How do you stop the snail addiction?

You discover the wonder of amano shrimp. Bamboo shrimp.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 1:51 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

You discover the wonder of amano shrimp. Bamboo shrimp.

Not Amano, but literally today I got some blue dreams. Went for neos to add to a fry tank so I can breed while I breed. Maybe that's my secondary addiction. Breeding multiple things lol. 

• Love 1

On 5/25/2022 at 11:56 PM, Cinnebuns said:

Not Amano, but literally today I got some blue dreams.

Noooooo Amanos!!!!!!!  Haha.... I feel like everyone needs to have a tank with 20 amanos and then you have the wonderful appreciation for how well they destroy algae. Then get into the cooler shrimp with the fancy colors. 😉

For a  while mine was a fish I hadn’t spawned.  I was actively competing in my clubs BAP/SAP.  I don’t remember now if it was 2 years or 3 years in a row I won breeder of the year with the most spawns. The problem is my clubs rules state in case the club wants to inspect or verify the spawn, The parents must be kept.  Some clubs don’t require this.  Also for more difficult fish you must submit a report along with the spawning log.   

Hmmm, where to start?  I, too, got very snail obsessed for a while and I have at least 10 species of snails in my nanofish tank.  I have that obsession partly under control, now, but still culture rams and bladders.  I’m very plant obsessed, especially swords, crypts, mosses, and epiphytes of all sorts.  I was pea puffer obsessed for about a year or so, but they’re too mean for me for a truly long term obsession.  Semi-fixated on a variety of nanofish and angelfish.

Currently I’ve been obsessing over how I can arrange my fish room and get the tanks on an auto water change system (AWCS).  I’ve been planning to put all my small tanks in the same room but couldn’t figure out how to get the tanks on an AWCS, so I’ve been dragging my heels at the thought of all that work with somewhat limited payoff.  I had the rack arrangement stuck in my head one way, but finally churned it around in my head long enough that I came up with a better idea that will let me use an AWCS and without drilling tanks, thanks to the cool auto-siphon/overflow video somebody posted about a week ago.  I just had to let go of the first arrangement idea of having my 2 racks side by side and move them to the other side of the room.  Now I just need to collect the energy to make it happen.  😃 

• Like 1

Nano fish and plants. I have to remind myself every time I go to buy a new tank that I can't have every species I want. I'm naturally impulsive when it comes to hobbies, but try not to be when they involve animals. 

Edited by Ogpulchra

On 5/26/2022 at 3:45 AM, Odd Duck said:

I have at least 10 species of snails in my nanofish tank.

Idk if I can name 10 snail species...let's see...1. Mystery 2. Nerite 3. JTS 4. Ramshorn 5. Pond 6. Bladder 7. Malaysian trumpet 8. Rabbit 9. Columbian ramshorn 10. Devils spike 

Ok somehow I got to 10. I'm interested in what specifically you keep tho!

On 5/26/2022 at 8:09 AM, Ogpulchra said:

I'm naturally impulsive when it comes to hobbies, but try not to be when they involve animals. 

Exactly this!  That's why I try to keep my impulse in check with the snails. So far I haven't gone so far as to being irresponsible with their keeping but that's always the line to watch. 

• Like 1

Apparently I’m obsessed with rimless tanks. Somehow I’ve acquired 8 and only 4 have water in them. I have two 20g, a 10g and a 3g that need to be set up. 
Also plants, lots of plants! If I set up those tanks I can buy more plants. 😁

• Like 4

This is the honest truth: I'm always perusing Co-Op's site....and thinking about "how can I incorporate that into my tank, or use that for my tank?"

Im always looking on fish YouTube videos as well....and checking Co-Op's site to see if they have it too. 

I just got a canister, then went to Co-Op's YT page, and searched for canister hacks....lol. 

There's no turning back for me....lol

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 10:52 AM, Cinnebuns said:

Idk if I can name 10 snail species...let's see...1. Mystery 2. Nerite 3. JTS 4. Ramshorn 5. Pond 6. Bladder 7. Malaysian trumpet 8. Rabbit 9. Columbian ramshorn 10. Devils spike 

Ok somehow I got to 10. I'm interested in what specifically you keep tho!

Exactly this!  That's why I try to keep my impulse in check with the snails. So far I haven't gone so far as to being irresponsible with their keeping but that's always the line to watch. 

I have multiple species of nerites - red racers, yellow racers, zebra, spotted, and marble limpets.  Mysteries, ramshorns, Japanese trapdoors, and 2 species of chopsticks - yellow and tiger.  I may still have a pagoda snail in there but I never see one, so I didn’t count them.  Oh, wait, 12 since I have at least 2 species of horned/throned nerites, too.  Like I said, went a little snail crazy for a while.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 12:15 PM, Odd Duck said:

I have multiple species of nerites - red racers, yellow racers, zebra, spotted, and marble limpets.  Mysteries, ramshorns, Japanese trapdoors, and 2 species of chopsticks - yellow and tiger.  I may still have a pagoda snail in there but I never see one, so I didn’t count them.  Oh, wait, 12 since I have at least 2 species of horned/throned nerites, too.  Like I said, went a little snail crazy for a while.

Oh I'm counting all my different nerites as 1. I do have like 5 different types of nerites tho

• Like 2

I'm on the fence as to whether it's truly an addiction, as an addiction implies....

oh heck, I'm addicted to breeding and genetics. I won't ever be able to have enough tanks to do it responsibly, because I can't limit myself to a single phenotype. In pursuit of supporting wild phenotypes genetically being standardized without sacrificing the hardiness and disease resistance of the species, I invariably end up with a curveball that unexpectedly shows up that I think is amazingly gorgeous, andthen I need 6 more tanks to prevent inbreeding while responsibly linebreeding.

I'm definitely addicted to genetics and breeding, lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1