Question about Xtreme Bottom Wafers

ReeseADHD

On the back of Xtreme bottom wafers it says to feed an amount that can be consumed within 2-3 minutes but my fish usually take 2-3 hours to consume them. I get that they're designed so they sink quick and dissolve slowly so other community fish don't gobble them up but is it normal for the food to sit around for 2-3 hours? I've noticed my corydoras and platties peck at them but it seems like the pellets are so hard that they don't break off. I've even tried breaking each pellet into 4-6 pieces but it doesn't seem to help much. Also, when I've fed heavy with other foods I noticed that no one will really touch the wafers and I have to take them out with a net. Do my fish just not like them or is that normal? 

If you don't overfeed (as in keep putting sinking wafers in when you see leftovers) that's fine. Just don't use them multiple times a day if you're running into it not being finished. Besides the Cory's and Platties you mentioned, what other fish are in the tank? You might want to consider feeding a flake food or a tiny pellet instead.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 8:44 PM, Tihshho said:

Besides the Cory's and Platties you mentioned, what other fish are in the tank?

Just corys and platties because it's a qt tank lol 

On 5/5/2022 at 8:44 PM, Tihshho said:

You might want to consider feeding a flake food or a tiny pellet instead.

I also feed Xtream nano which is a huge hit but I want to make sure the Cories are getting a proper diet while in qt so they aren't lacking in any nutrient. 

With the feedings being spread out 3-4 days apart (because of them being in qt) It seems like they should be eager to gobble up any food that gets thrown in the tank. I wonder if they would even touch it once they get moved into the display tank and are being fed on a daily basis 

Why are you spreading feedings out 3-4 days in quarantine? 

I’ve never heard anyone suggest that before. Seems to me that if you’re worried about potential diseases, you’d want your fish to eat well to help them overcome those illnesses. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:18 PM, Tihshho said:

Why are you only feeding your QT tank so infrequently? 

On 5/5/2022 at 9:19 PM, AndEEss said:

Why are you spreading feedings out 3-4 days in quarantine? 

I’ve never heard anyone suggest that before. Seems to me that if you’re worried about potential diseases, you’d want your fish to eat well to help them overcome those illnesses. 

I'm following Cory's advice for helping fish pass internal parasites.

On 5/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

With the feedings being spread out 3-4 days apart (because of them being in qt) It seems like they should be eager to gobble up any food that gets thrown in the tank. I wonder if they would even touch it once they get moved into the display tank and are being fed on a daily basis 

I basically rotate out food.  So if you're doing it in a normal tank, one day to the next I just change the food I offer. If you're offering multiple, be very minimal and stick to the "if it's not gone in 5 minutes" mindset.  You can feed the upper fish their portion and drop about 1 wafer per 5 corys is about what I'd suggest.  I didn't have luck with the xtreme wafers and have switched to a different food for that type of a food.

Since you're doing the meds for internal parasites as well. be sure to look into repashy

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:40 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I didn't have luck with the xtreme wafers and have switched to a different food for that type of a food.

Was the problem that the fish wouldn't eat it? Also, if you don't mind sharing what food did you switch to? I might do that in the future because it seems like I might not have luck with it either

On 5/5/2022 at 7:44 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

Was the problem that the fish wouldn't eat it? Also, if you don't mind sharing what food did you switch to? I might do that in the future because it seems like I might not have luck with it either

It really stunk up the room on days when I would feed it, then pretty much everything became the same way because I was watching out for it. 

I love the ingredients list on the xtreme stuff, but I would love for them to have a sinking pellet instead of a semi-floating one.

That being said, yeah.... my fish prefer the hikari wafers a bit more. I prefer and they also enjoy the sera o-nip spirulina tabs.  I enjoy those a lot moreso than other wafers.  I'll toss a link to a thread I made on the topic, there's some photos of my corys with that food as well.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:52 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

Just corys and platties because it's a qt tank lol 

I also feed Xtream nano which is a huge hit but I want to make sure the Cories are getting a proper diet while in qt so they aren't lacking in any nutrient. 

How many cories? You can always break a single wafer into a smaller piece, and frequently fish aren't all that hungry with the stress of the meds. Be sure to stay on top of testing your water parameters. If you see ammonia or nitrites, and it's not time for a water change yet with the meds, this is the ideal situation to use Prime to give your fish a buffer. Just be sure to increase aeration.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:54 PM, Cory said:

Testing a feature. This picture should become the thumbnail.

XtremeSinkingWaferSmall-min.jpg

Not seeing the thumbnail @Cory

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:02 PM, Torrey said:

You can always break a single wafer into a smaller piece

This! In my experience, the wafers are way too big unless you're feeding ~20 fish. I throw in a quarter of one for my 6 corys and they get full off it.

On 5/5/2022 at 9:02 PM, Torrey said:

Not seeing the thumbnail

It became the thumbnail for the thread where it's listed in the forum. 

@Lucid_Reese bottom feeders generally graze throughout the day.  I find these perfect. I place them in and 24 hours later at feeding time again I may have tiny crumbs left in the food dish.  I’ll see my snails, Cory and pleco at it at different times of the day that’s why I like them it’s there when they are hungry.  My other fish will come nip snacks here and there from it as well.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Th Xtreme Wafers don't last 30 minutes in most of my tanks, but that's thanks to pleco's and shrimp. I go through a big container in almost 1.5-2months? Not just one goes in per tank... Not even two or three...

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 9:38 PM, Lucid_Reese said:

On the back of Xtreme bottom wafers it says to feed an amount that can be consumed within 2-3 minutes but my fish usually take 2-3 hours to consume them. I get that they're designed so they sink quick and dissolve slowly so other community fish don't gobble them up but is it normal for the food to sit around for 2-3 hours? I've noticed my corydoras and platties peck at them but it seems like the pellets are so hard that they don't break off. I've even tried breaking each pellet into 4-6 pieces but it doesn't seem to help much. Also, when I've fed heavy with other foods I noticed that no one will really touch the wafers and I have to take them out with a net. Do my fish just not like them or is that normal? 

Personally, my corys and guppies go nuts for them. If it takes them a while to finish it, it's giving them something to do.

I only put one wafer in the tank at a time. Any more is a waste.
Snails also love them, but too much food for snails makes a population explosion.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 9:10 AM, Tihshho said:

Th Xtreme Wafers don't last 30 minutes in most of my tanks, but that's thanks to pleco's and shrimp. I go through a big container in almost 1.5-2months? Not just one goes in per tank... Not even two or three...

That's interesting, my shrimp (Amano and cherry) will not touch the wafers for the life of them in my display. I usually have to wait for the mystery snails to finish them off. Maybe I have a bad batch or something?

I put them in over night, 30 minutes before the light turns off,  because they last and everyone has time to graze leisurely if they want. I never find any evidence of leftovers in the morning unless I dropped 1 too many in. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

• Thanks 1