Inaugural St. Nermy’s Day ‘Scapes from Scraps

Welcome one and all to the inaugural St Nermy’s Day ‘Scapes from Scraps. 

We announced back in February I believe that we’d be doing this. The idea was what if you took stuff from home and did something that brought nature and fun to your home or wherever but didn’t spend a ton of money. Sorry if you didn’t see this sooner. Enter if you wish if one of your tanks meets one of the categories.

There will be nine different topics in the photos/journal section.

1. Home alone - you had everything at home and didn’t spend a dime

2. The micro tank- less than 5 g

3. The nano 5-10

4. Normalcy - 10-20

5. Biggie - 20+

6. Pass the Dutchie - Dutch style 

7. it’s a jungle out there

8. hey mister fantasy

9. Tous’ - tanks of unusual size, dimensions or make for all the oddball containers And setups

Rules that are hopefully not broken:

1. At all costs try to reuse what you’ve got at home, this includes upcycling tanks, filters, lights, hardscape, substrate etc

2. Try to spend as little as you can

3. plants should be clippings if at all possible

4. Document your build - pics pics pics as best you can, Try for five or more

5. have fun!!!!

VOTING: from 4/1-4/8/22 go and explore the 9 topics/categories of the event, if you like a scape give it a heart ❤️ Post support and positive energy, if you don’t care for it move on, no mean posts or criticism, this is for fun and we want this to stay light like St Nermy the great Nerm in the tank!!

Myself, @Atitagain, and @Odd Duckwill curate 3 of these topics. If you have questions let us know. 

We’ll use this topic to make announcements and eventually the top vote getters. The three of us also will do some special awards for tanks we think exemplified St Nermy! 

Have fun!!!

96D4B642-05BF-4D09-A2C3-E80C7AE97BBC.jpeg.7c69dabcd0c8a9edafb29a62c3cda96c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

On 4/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

Can't wait to see what everyone did!

My humble effort would be good in three different categories - 1, 2 and 9 (especially 9). Any preference for which one I share it in?

Go for all of them!  There’s no cost to enter and the only prize is the praise of your fellow nerms.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 4/1/2022 at 11:45 AM, Odd Duck said:

Go for all of them!  There’s no cost to enter and the only prize is the praise of your fellow nerms.

oh we are allowed to put our scapes in multiple categories? I thought it was one only for some reason. 

• Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 1:59 PM, castiel said:

oh we are allowed to put our scapes in multiple categories? I thought it was one only for some reason. 

You can pick one or go for all that pertain.  Minimal rules, really.  Street cred for more scavenging, up cycling, recycling, and less spending.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2022 at 1:48 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Welcome one and all to the inaugural St Nermy’s Day ‘Scapes from Scraps. 

We announced back in February I believe that we’d be doing this. The idea was what if you took stuff from home and did something that brought nature and fun to your home or wherever but didn’t spend a ton of money. Sorry if you didn’t see this sooner. Enter if you wish if one of your tanks meets one of the categories.

There will be nine different topics in the photos/journal section.

1. Home alone - you had everything at home and didn’t spend a dime

2. The micro tank- less than 5 g

3. The nano 5-10

4. Normalcy - 10-20

5. Biggie - 20+

6. Pass the Dutchie - Dutch style 

7. it’s a jungle out there

8. hey mister fantasy

9. Tous’ - tanks of unusual size, dimensions or make for all the oddball containers And setups

Rules that are hopefully not broken:

1. At all costs try to reuse what you’ve got at home, this includes upcycling tanks, filters, lights, hardscape, substrate etc

2. Try to spend as little as you can

3. plants should be clippings if at all possible

4. Document your build - pics pics pics as best you can, Try for five or more

5. have fun!!!!

VOTING: from 4/1-4/8/22 go and explore the 9 topics/categories of the event, if you like a scape give it a heart ❤️ Post support and positive energy, if you don’t care for it move on, no mean posts or criticism, this is for fun and we want this to stay light like St Nermy the great Nerm in the tank!!

Myself, @Atitagain, and @Odd Duckwill curate 3 of these topics. If you have questions let us know. 

We’ll use this topic to make announcements and eventually the top vote getters. The three of us also will do some special awards for tanks we think exemplified St Nermy! 

Have fun!!!

96D4B642-05BF-4D09-A2C3-E80C7AE97BBC.jpeg.7c69dabcd0c8a9edafb29a62c3cda96c.jpeg

I forgot to do all the documenting photos ::facepalm::

My spouse's 4' qualifies for "It's a Jungle Out There" I believe..... 😂

Let me clean up tanks to get pictures tomorrow, everyone has massive water stains today and I be tired... like Madeleine Kahn "tiiired" lol

Just need to be sure before I start voting. Are we limited to one vote per category? Or the way I think it is , more of voting on each entry if you love it or not. So in other words you could have 5 votes of love in same category where there is 8 entries?

Been fun seeing everyone’s entries, some super interesting scapes. Also learning different ways of foraging is a great benefit of everyone documenting how they did these tanks at minimal cost.
Great to see so many participants @Beardedbillygoat1975 thank you for setting all this up, such a fun and educational-ish way for people to participate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Heylo everyone, 

Want to remind everyone that this Friday 4/8/22 at midnight PST will be the last time to accept entries to the Inaugural 'Scapes from Scraps.  

We will announce the winners in each category and the special awards on 4/9/22. 

Thank you to everyone who has participated and taken part. 

It looks like the next opportunity for a community event will be Aquarium Co-Op day on 7/14/22 the day of the forums founding!

• Like 2