Lots of algae growth

I have two questions - I cleaned the tank about 2 weeks ago and this is what it looked like today. I checked water parameters 2 weeks ago and again today… and the tank has been cycled for about a month now and everything is good, just high pH which I read could be related to the algae overgrowth. I cleaned the tank today, removed about 30% water trying to get as much algae as possible, and then noticed a detritus worm. So I assume that also means the tank ecosystem is thriving now. 😂

I looked at the articles on Aquarium Co-Op about algae and I had turned the light down from 8 hours to 6 hours about a month ago, the plants are all medium to low light plants. I am going to leave it off for a few days until I can add algae eaters. I have plans to get 2 zebra nerilite snails for a tank companion for my black orchid betta, but now I’m wondering if I would need more than 2 snails. Or 2 snails and one of those bottom dwellers. How do you decide how many algae eaters to get for your tank?

It’s a 5.5gal tank, I don’t add fertilizer. When I started the tank about 2 months ago - I used fluval substrate under River stones in the areas I put plants, root tabs and some liquid fertilizer. But I haven’t added anything since then. How long would it take for all that fertilization to be used up and no longer a contributor to algae overgrowth?

1CF48717-20D3-4408-B4E5-34653F18BF5F.jpeg

On 3/27/2022 at 12:58 PM, Bethany92 said:

I have two questions - I cleaned the tank about 2 weeks ago and this is what it looked like today. I checked water parameters 2 weeks ago and again today… and the tank has been cycled for about a month now and everything is good, just high pH which I read could be related to the algae overgrowth. I cleaned the tank today, removed about 30% water trying to get as much algae as possible, and then noticed a detritus worm. So I assume that also means the tank ecosystem is thriving now. 😂

I looked at the articles on Aquarium Co-Op about algae and I had turned the light down from 8 hours to 6 hours about a month ago, the plants are all medium to low light plants. I am going to leave it off for a few days until I can add algae eaters. I have plans to get 2 zebra nerilite snails for a tank companion for my black orchid betta, but now I’m wondering if I would need more than 2 snails. Or 2 snails and one of those bottom dwellers. How do you decide how many algae eaters to get for your tank?

It’s a 5.5gal tank, I don’t add fertilizer. When I started the tank about 2 months ago - I used fluval substrate under River stones in the areas I put plants, root tabs and some liquid fertilizer. But I haven’t added anything since then. How long would it take for all that fertilization to be used up and no longer a contributor to algae overgrowth?

1CF48717-20D3-4408-B4E5-34653F18BF5F.jpeg

In my experience Fluval Stratum lasts about 6 to 7 months before it becomes inert. I would clean the glass, siphon the detritus from in between the gravel, and do 30% weekly water changes, maybe add some more plants and make sure the plants get all the micro nutrients they need besides Easy Green All In One. If your light is already down to 6 hours I would not reduce it any further. Algae eaters generally do not solve algae problems, usually there are either too many nutrients, or not enough nutrients so that whatever is missing becomes the limiting factor to the plants being able to outcompete the algae, you've already tried limiting your light cycle, another factor could be the spectrum of your light source depending on what kind of light you use. You could also try adding some faster growing stem plants to your set up and see if they will outcompete the algae. You might also want to take a look at your current filtration. I clean my pre-filter and power filter sponges, and the sintered glass trays at least twice a month in drained tank water from my 50%  water changes. Other forum members have different maintenance regimen but I believe firmly in weekly water changes, and substrate and glass maintenance, with the bi-weekly filter maintenance it's a routine I have gotten used to over the 54 years I've been keeping fish now.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 11:42 PM, Brandon p said:

With the plants you have I would not even use the easy green. Stick fertilizer tabs. Two snails should be be than enough. Snails and and a small pleco or otos but the tank is  small so I start with the snails. You can get albinio Bristlenose Plecos

That grow to 3-4 inches.

Not in a 5 gallon though, most information I've seen for BN plecos recommends at least 20-30 gallons! I have one nerite in my 5.5 but two would be perfect. I wouldn't add more fish.

Bristlenoses can get up to 7” although 5-6” is more common.  If you have another tank they can graduate to, getting youngsters could work fine very temporarily, but they shouldn’t be life long in a 5.5 G.  They would out grow your 5.5 G in about 1-2 months, tops.

You need to sort out why you’re getting so much algae growth.  It can be hard to balance small tanks (just ask me how my 2 G is going 🙄 ).  I would only do a single nerite in a 5.5G.  They are work horses.  I would do at least weekly water changes, no less than 25%, and feed a bit less overall until there is minimal algae growing. Be very careful with root tabs in such a small tank.  I would only add 1 per month and alternate between the 2 swords you have.  Even tucked deep into substrate, they will leach some nutrients into the water.

Those sword plants look like they might be Amazon swords (Echinodorus bleheri) and are capable of massively and quickly out growing such a small tank.  When you have to remove them, there will likely be a big ammonia spike in such a small tank.  Be prepared to take any livestock (fish and snails) out of the tank for a few days or more, and doing big water changes to get parameters back on track.

Add a lot more plants to out compete the algea, particularly fast growing ones. If it were me I'd add water sprite and float it, its easy to maintain and will add some good shade for your other two plants, it will also add shade to the glass as well. 

Edited by JoeQ

I've circled a few leaves on your sword plant. These leaves are the plant's emersed (out of water) leaves. They are farmed this way because it is way easier. But when you put them in your tank they start to deteriorate. Algae takes advantage of the rotting leaves. Since your plant is showing plenty of new growth you can cut those old leaves off. You can you the co op plant scissors or just pinch them off with your fingers. The Fluval stratum you used also is rich in nutrients so it is likely contributing to the problem. The amount released will decrease over time but generally early on with these types of substrates extra water changes are beneficial. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/curved-aquarium-plant-scissors

As for the nerite snail you can add 1 or 2. I prefer 1 since they can start to lay eggs that never hatch and the little white spots all over drive me nuts. Personally I just get my hands on "pest" snails. I put all the different types in all my tanks. They clean up extra food, munch of dead dying plant materials, and their population is a good indicator of if too much food is being introduced to the tank.

plants.jpeg

I agree with the others -- I would only add one nerite snail to the tank since the tank is so small and would add a few more plants. You can attach anubias or Java fern to your hardscape and floating plants are a great idea. 

I'm a huge fan of "pest snails" like bladder and ramshorn snails. They're perfect for a tank that size, you can probably get some for free, they survive in just about any water, they will keep the tank very clean and they are a great indicator of whether you're overfeeding or not.