Subscalarium Journal

OnlyGenusCaps

On 4/6/2022 at 4:21 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Learning new stuff all the time I had no clue there was iridescent plants! Can’t wait to see how they turn out! I will send luck your way for the Microsorum 💁🏼🍀

Also I have a very large kraussiana in a pot outside with some wood sorrel. So perhaps that gives hope that my local nursery will have uncinata too. I think it was also labeled as irish clubmoss hence my confusion. Damn these common names, make me look a fool!

Perhaps you need to use the same strategy as LBF and call it LGM!

(Little Brown Fish)

(Little Green Moss) iridescent sp.

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

No huge updates.  The goby eggs that I pulled into the "Fry Falls" setup, already had fungus when I pulled them.  I'm not sure why.  But I thought I would leave them there anyhow.  Predictably, the fungus spread, though not as fast as I'd expected.  I figured it got them all, and I'd try next round.  Much to my surprise however, a few days ago I saw fry in the container with the moss!  They seemed to be doing well.  So, I started feeding them.  We'll see how it goes, but it is a nice surprise.  I'll get to see how I can do with the fry this time.  Still don't have a vinegar eel culture going, which I think I should.  I might try putting together an emergency infusoria culture though.  At the very least they seem happier with the larger container; not being blown around so much.  Now it's just trying the new stuff, making observations, and hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

Good news on the goby front!  Here is Fry Falls:

454187318_DGfryfallscaught.jpg.f144bb1a851cb13bf03bd489a121c955.jpg

Can you see anything in there?  No?  Well, it's probably my awful photography!  And my dirty glass, and algae covered tanks.  Also, I should get a macro lens for my iPhone.  But I digress.  Let me get you a closer shot:

754801694_DGfryfallsspot.png.e1411b3bc7aa368d7358b50e8c0cd262.png

See the little fry circled in red?  They are still alive a week later!  I thought I just had a couple hanging on.  But then I saw an amphipod in the fry container, and fearing for the safety of the few remaining fry, I thought I'd see if I could get it.  When I touched the moss a bunch of little things came swimming out.  Check it out:

739026438_DGfryfallszoom.png.a117d1c6da3f23d3f7705dfb95d697a5.png

Admittedly a terrible photo, but I will call your attention to two things.  First and foremost, these are all little goby fry!  I have maybe 15-20 in there.  I really thought the fungus got most of the eggs, so this is really exciting.  Secondly, these things are tiny!  In the previous photo notice the monster plant in there is actually just moss.  The gravel in there that is the side of their little heads is sugar-fine pool filter sand. 

Not sure how this will turn out, but for now it's promising!

• Like 5
  • Love 3

On 4/14/2022 at 7:55 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Good news on the goby front!  Here is Fry Falls:

454187318_DGfryfallscaught.jpg.f144bb1a851cb13bf03bd489a121c955.jpg

Can you see anything in there?  No?  Well, it's probably my awful photography!  And my dirty glass, and algae covered tanks.  Also, I should get a macro lens for my iPhone.  But I digress.  Let me get you a closer shot:

754801694_DGfryfallsspot.png.e1411b3bc7aa368d7358b50e8c0cd262.png

See the little fry circled in red?  They are still alive a week later!  I thought I just had a couple hanging on.  But then I saw an amphipod in the fry container, and fearing for the safety of the few remaining fry, I thought I'd see if I could get it.  When I touched the moss a bunch of little things came swimming out.  Check it out:

739026438_DGfryfallszoom.png.a117d1c6da3f23d3f7705dfb95d697a5.png

Admittedly a terrible photo, but I will call your attention to two things.  First and foremost, these are all little goby fry!  I have maybe 15-20 in there.  I really thought the fungus got most of the eggs, so this is really exciting.  Secondly, these things are tiny!  In the previous photo notice the monster plant in there is actually just moss.  The gravel in there that is the side of their little heads is sugar-fine pool filter sand. 

Not sure how this will turn out, but for now it's promising!

Congratulations!!! I haven't seen amphipods do any damage to my zebra danio fry, and baby amphipods are a great food source around week 3, so I wouldn't stress too much... Unless you bought the giant amphipods Carolina Biologicals had 2 years ago? They are more aggressive.

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 10:12 PM, Torrey said:

I haven't seen amphipods do any damage to my zebra danio fry, and baby amphipods are a great food source around week 3, so I wouldn't stress too much... Unless you bought the giant amphipods Carolina Biologicals had 2 years ago? They are more aggressive.

Mine have wiped out snails in a bucket when I didn't feed them enough to keep up with the population boom.  So, they have a history...

I've decided to keep the Blue Grass tank with just the sand on the bottom.  But in the 75 above, with the black backing, I'm going to try @Patrick_G's suggestion of a layer of sand over Safe-T-Sorb.  It should be interesting to see the difference between the two tanks.  I mean, it's not a controlled experiment as the sand will differ, as well as the rocks, fish, and plants.  But, it'll be interesting to learn from.

One thing I will say is that Safe-T-Sorb is the filthiest stuff I have ever had to clean to use for substrate!  There seems to be an endless supply of fine particles.  After doing 6 washings in a bucket and finding no visible difference in the murkiness of the disgusting rinse-water, I've decided I can't clean it by the batch method for rinsing.  I'm going to have to wait until the weekend when it might be warm enough to turn on the garden hose again to try to run the hose until the stuff can get clean under a continuous water stream. 

This is the 6th rinse, I mean look at this stuff: 

864975248_SafeTSorbwash.JPG.9851cfa32d487396f1cbc8f2e6400feb.JPG

I sure hope it's worth it...

In other news, the goby fry are still alive.  This is my record with them so far - about 2 weeks.  They are not fast growers. 

Also, I have put together my second dart frog viv.  Now I just need the frogs. 

904438349_DF2setupdone.JPG.7c4c6f587d9a85622a0518b6ca899c15.JPG

• Like 6

On 4/19/2022 at 4:45 PM, ndfi78 said:

it seems expensive to get something set up

Nope, that's a fairly correct interpretation.  For what darts cost to get properly set up, you could do a nice starter reef tank.  And do it right!  Nothing about darts is cheap.  I'm lucky because the at least plants are free for me, but otherwise it all starts out as eye popping prices.  Then you acclimate and you are like, sure $45 for a stick, that seems right.  😶

On 4/19/2022 at 6:10 PM, Patrick_G said:

I still haven’t tried it

Technically me either.  We'll see if I can ever get the stuff clean enough to use.  It feel like it must be degrading in the water back to the clay it came from to make this big of a mess.  Part of me thinks that it will just dissolve away entirely leaving me with a bucket of water and a clay patch in the yard.  😏 

• Like 1

Quick updates:

Goby fry - Still alive!

Automatic Water change system redo - Nearly done.  Update coming soon.

The big news is in the Blue Grass tank.  I finally have it put together! 

While I was filling it from behind the matten filter, I noticed that the flow from the hose caused a cool pattern in the sand.

83471615_BGfilling.JPG.6285a7c885dc12c5e0ee8420cb0e0537.JPG

Here it is finally filled with water.  I like the contrast between the very dark rocks and the white pool filter sand.  Also, I wasn't sure about the blue background.  I've never had a tank with one, and that what they use at the big box stores.  I was a little worried it would feel cheap or tacky, but I think I like it more than expected.  What do you think?

1891283542_BGfilled.JPG.74d55f24e9b224244de750b376b08811.JPG

Obviously, I needed to put in my seagrass mimic plants, and the decision was tough.  I was pretty sold on going with val.  I know it does well in my hard water and it's got the right look.  But for various reasons I ended up going with Cryptocoryne spiralis.  Crypts have done well for me in the past, and so I am hopeful.  Plus, this one can spread like val, but a bit slower, which I'm hoping will be an advantage in the long-term.

Anyhow, here is the final version with a few pagoda snails in there.  The plants obviously need to grow in.  A lot.  But I think it's a good start to the look I am going for.  And for anyone concerned about the snails, I have shoved pre-cycled sponge material in behind the matten filters.  Should give me a nice jump on the overall tank cycle.

1221657289_BGassembled.JPG.c4fad1f1603c2b2ac91afa37724207fa.JPG

The heater is in front because I like to test it in a new tank againt an independent thermometer.  The room is heated, but it's a good safeguard.  It will eventually be hidden behind the left matten filter.

And one more look at those pagoda snails.  I just love them, and they are such great tank cleaners.  Now to get them to breed...

743025656_BGpagodafirst.JPG.80503af6ed58604449fafc59ef2b1655.JPG

Edited by OnlyGenusCaps
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Nice choice on the Spiralis! I'm actually adding Retrospiralis to a new display I'm setting up. Also, glad to see another person in here with Pagoda snails! I've had mine for a bit now, and I've yet to have babies. I need to add some more to the colony, but need to find a good source for them as the previous source I had lots of die offs a week or so after they arrived. Best of luck on spawning them! I hope once I get mine going they produce as much as my Rabbit Snails do.

• Thanks 1

On 4/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, Tihshho said:

Also, glad to see another person in here with Pagoda snails! I've had mine for a bit now, and I've yet to have babies.

I've had my first batch over a year and just got a few more to add. 

Best of luck on spawning them! I hope once I get mine going they produce as much as my Rabbit Snails do.

We might have to bounce ideas around.  I've gotten nothing from them so far, no do I have any plans for what to try with them.  Then again, I haven't gotten any rabbit snail babies off of mine in the year+ I've had them.  Anything special you do with those?

On 4/27/2022 at 11:53 AM, Guppysnail said:

It would only look big box store if you use a gaudy neon plastic decoration 🤣

Well, now if I change my mind I know how to achieve the look.  Thanks!  🤪

• Like 1

On 4/27/2022 at 2:50 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

We might have to bounce ideas around.  I've gotten nothing from them so far, no do I have any plans for what to try with them.  Then again, I haven't gotten any rabbit snail babies off of mine in the year+ I've had them.  Anything special you do with those?

Key things for me were keeping them in sandy substrate, temps between 75-78 (on the low end for them actually), decent flow, and quality food.

• Thanks 1

I am liking these Pagoda snails! As a recent convert (past 5 years) to the reasons to appreciate snails, this is a species I had never seen before a few weeks ago, and now I have seen pictures in a dozen different places. I think I need to ask my LFS about sourcing some.

I learned in here, in the Forum, that about half the Malaysian Trumpet snails I got... actually aren't.👀

So I now have 2 types of Lymnaea;  silver, bronze and spotted bladder snails; a breeding assassin snail (guessing she came already impregnated from the store... I haven't seen her in a few weeks, but I found 2 babies last week during the water change);  red, gold, burgundy and "wild phenotype" ramshorns; MTS; and Brotia herculea.

Adding Brotia pagadula to one of the tanks would be gorgeous, I wonder if they would cross-breed with the herculea?

The new set-up is stunning, the artist in me really appreciates the clean lines and crisp colors.

• Thanks 1

Nice choice on the Spiralis! I'm actually adding Retrospiralis to a new display I'm setting up. Also, glad to see another person in here with Pagoda snails! I've had mine for a bit now, and I've yet to have babies. I need to add some more to the colony, but need to find a good source for them as the previous source I had lots of die offs a week or so after they arrived. Best of luck on spawning them! I hope once I get mine going they produce as much as my Rabbit Snails do.

Same thing happened to the pagoda snails I bought.  I’m pretty sure I had 100% die off.  😢 

• Sad 1

On 5/3/2022 at 3:44 PM, Odd Duck said:

Same thing happened to the pagoda snails I bought.  I’m pretty sure I had 100% die off.  😢 

I'm not sure why, but the smaller they are (as in 1" or less) they don't seem to transition easily. I've tried dripping, I've tried plop method, and no matter what I get about 10-20% survival rate.

On 5/3/2022 at 3:05 PM, Tihshho said:

I'm not sure why, but the smaller they are (as in 1" or less) they don't seem to transition easily. I've tried dripping, I've tried plop method, and no matter what I get about 10-20% survival rate.

I haven’t seen a live one in weeks and gave up buying them from the source I had.  They replaced several for me that arrived already poorly or dead, but I’m not going to keep buying them from the same place if they’re just going to die.  It was not Aqua Huna where I got them.

If I spot them from AH, I will try them again.  Haven’t looked in a bit but I’m going to break down and order some Amanos for my angelfish tank.  Amanos look generic shrimp enough and hide well enough they could be about any little freshwater shrimp from anywhere, right?  😆 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 5:36 PM, Torrey said:

Adding Brotia pagadula to one of the tanks would be gorgeous, I wonder if they would cross-breed with the herculea?

Good question!  For now, I'm going to stick with the pagodas in there, but I don't know if interspecific hybrids are possible in that genus.  I guess I need to get the pagoda snails to breed first.  That'll be job one. 

On 5/3/2022 at 3:05 PM, Tihshho said:

Thanks for the tips on the rabbit snails!  I still haven't figured out food they are really excited about.  Maybe canned green beans next?

Oddly, I have never lost a pagoda snail from transition into my tanks.  I don't think.  Might be remembering incorrectly.  But at the very least, I didn't lose any this round.  I will say they are super sensitive though!  Any least little ammonia or nitrite spike and they curl up in their shells and don't move until it has passed.  They are definitely my most sensitive snail. 

I'm just glad the ones I have seem to be doing well for now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been forever.  I've been busy with...  Just stuff.

Despite my reduced activity here, I have been up to stuff.  So here is a snippet.

The desert gobies:

Well, my breeding efforts have been chugging along.  The first two successful batches of fry have grown enough that they would likely eat the next batch, so they needed a new home.  Check out how much they've grown!

826165777_Desertgobyfrytogrowout.JPG.d6107fa190d444d77922b4829451b0ed.JPG

I remember when they could hide among the sand grains and wrestled vinegar eels to eat them.  They grow up so, well, slow in this case.  But it's really rewarding!

Now they are off into a 20 gal grow out tank.  It will give them some more space, and free up the container for the net round of eggs.  I really like breeding this species!  Now that I have figured out how to breed this rare species, I am going to keep at it.

Some of you may recall that I tried my hand at a very rare species of pupfish, and it didn't go well.  But, I love those fish, and I am going to try again if I can.  I've got a new tank, with a new setup.  It still needs substrate, and plants, but it's cycling right now.  Still, what do you think of the hardscape?

431495591_Pupfishwoodtank.JPG.23e03b7270598036258fe0dc464a2b1f.JPG

Turns out, I had one thing right last time - these fish love algae!  I found someone who is quite successful with this entire group and their advice was "grow hair algae; they will thrive and breed".  So, I am once again chasing creating a tank full of algae.  The good news is as it turns out, I can grow hair algae and have a local supply.  Behold my Blue Grass tank:

1013066644_BGhairalgaethick.JPG.02bc2af97d3a224a43a2259c478b2c40.JPG

This was definitely not what I was shooting for when I set this up.  Turns out any tank I put this light on, and toss a few nutrients at, magically grows hair algae.  I think all I need to do is pop this light on the other thank, and presto, I should have the hair algae mess that will make my pupfish happy!  Then I need to clean up this one, but that's all part of the deal. 

And of course, the egregious dart frog photo because they are right next door to these tanks:

1785799514_RFBhangingout.JPG.e66351974d0cd3f914f222d8e1154d6b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I happen to adore petrified wood!  The tanks looks good to me. Check out my angelfish 100 G in my sig link.  I have most of my petrified wood collection in there.  Some is the blocky, “broken” stuff like you’ve got in your tank, some are pieces that are rounded off pretending to be half rotted wood partly buried in the substrate.

This pic is one of my favorites where the light was coming in at just the right angle to really light up the grouping on the right side of the tank.

F6009E6C-550A-48E6-B072-4F862A72105C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Nice looking petrified wood. I used to live on a petrified wood collecting hot spot but folks guard their rock hounding spots like  a prized fishing hole or mushroom patch. I never was able to find any. Plant fossils yes, but not wood. 

• Like 1