Recommendations for a super quiet over the back filter

Teri

I have two Aqueons. (gifts)  They are quiet but the have a few design flaws (my opinion)  My previous Tetra Whisper filter was quiet, and the bio-bags were removeable and allowed for a thorough rinsing (cost saving).  I use the HOBs with my UGF for the additional water movement and aeration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My Seachem Tidal is super quiet.  So are my Tetra Whisper IQs on my smaller tanks (but NOT the regular Tetra filters.  Those things are obnoxious!)  The big thing that seems to make them quiet in my experience is when there is a submerged motor.  It also means that they self prime which is handy after water changes or if the power goes out.

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have a Tetra Whisper IQ in my living room and it’s whisper quiet, probably a touch more quiet than the Aquaclear in the family room. The most quiet is an internal filter/powerhead I also have in the family room. 

I just checked and my quiet Tetra is just a regular Tetra Whisper 20. I do also have a Whisper IQ but it’s to loud to use regularly. It’s relegated to use as a polishing filter. 

• Thanks 1

Marineland Pro, not the regular Marineland - their impellers start rattling at about 6-9 months.  The “Pro” filters have the pump inside the tank and they are much quieter for much longer.  They also restart much more reliably, you don’t have to pour water in the filter box to restart them after larger water changes.  As soon as the water is back up to the minimum water level, you can restart them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the huge Seachem Tidal 110 and they are 1/2 the noise of my son's Top Fin 30 filter on his Top Fin kit tank.   The Tidal does have a skimmer and if debris gets caught in the skimmer it will get obnoxiously loud.   The issue is a quick solve but if you have a planted tank, you can't always control when something is going to break off and get sucked into the skimmer.   So if this is a bedroom tank and the skimmer sucks in debris in the middle of the night it is definitely going to wake you up with how loud the blocked skimmer can get.

• Thanks 1