Two new species of licorice gourami

Colu

Was reading an article on  two newly described species of licorice gourami parosphromenus juelinae and parosphromenus kishii they are just stunning just been discovered and nearly extinct  hopefully they can be saved 107115383_Screenshot_20220208-0232382.png.3c136a972b07d4477c6351d367a2ffee.png

Screenshot_20220208-023140~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 16

On 2/8/2022 at 6:32 AM, Colu said:

So many beautiful special of licorice gourami being discovered  most are under threat from habitat loss  hopefully they can be saved by captive breeding and protecting their habitat like parosphromenus phoenicurus

Screenshot_20220208-122821~2.png

Wow! I love the look of that. Beautiful!

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 3:59 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

Wow! I love the look of that. Beautiful!

I have been reading up on licorice gourami a large number of species are threaten with extinction due to drainage of there peat swamps so many beautiful special would be very popular in the hobby parosphromenus deissneri is more readily available in the hobby if anyone's keeping or breeding licorice gourami i would be interested in what species your keeping and any breeding success you have had

Screenshot_20220208-160636~2.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I just started keeping licorice gourami 3 weeks ago. I have 3 fish and had no idea how to sex them. They live in a blackwater tank with a lot of botanicals on the floor. One night, one of them lost all color and the stripes turned a really pale pinkish brown. It was hiding under the leaf litter and pods on the floor. I panicked, thought it was going to die. Turns out to be female reading to breed! The males' stripes turned black and their fins bright blue. They are extremely camera shy and still adjusting, so I gave them their privacy in hopes to encourage breeding. I have since added a cave. I must say, I am shocked that they have responded so well to their new home. They are not easy. They are super picky eaters and can hide really well. This picture really does not do justice to this beautiful fish. They absolutely shine. 

20220211_200347.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/12/2022 at 3:13 PM, Opal Rae said:

I just started keeping licorice gourami 3 weeks ago. I have 3 fish and had no idea how to sex them. They live in a blackwater tank with a lot of botanicals on the floor. One night, one of them lost all color and the stripes turned a really pale pinkish brown. It was hiding under the leaf litter and pods on the floor. I panicked, thought it was going to die. Turns out to be female reading to breed! The males' stripes turned black and their fins bright blue. They are extremely camera shy and still adjusting, so I gave them their privacy in hopes to encourage breeding. I have since added a cave. I must say, I am shocked that they have responded so well to their new home. They are not easy. They are super picky eaters and can hide really well. This picture really does not do justice to this beautiful fish. They absolutely shine. 

20220211_200347.jpg

what species of licorice gourami do you have 

Edited by Colu

On 2/12/2022 at 11:19 AM, Colu said:

It's what species of licorice gourami do you have 

They were sold to me as simply 'licorice gourami" by my LFS. I have really soft acidic water so when they came in the LFS called me - lucky me! Since they are new to me and not fish I was planning for, I have really just been focused on setting up their tank and providing them with the right foods. I will now dig deeper to figure just what species they are. I love them. They are very interesting fish and very different from my trichopsis pumila (sparkling gourami). Do you keep licorice gourami? 

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 5:51 PM, Opal Rae said:

They were sold to me as simply 'licorice gourami" by my LFS. I have really soft acidic water so when they came in the LFS called me - lucky me! Since they are new to me and not fish I was planning for, I have really just been focused on setting up their tank and providing them with the right foods. I will now dig deeper to figure just what species they are. I love them. They are very interesting fish and very different from my trichopsis pumila (sparkling gourami). Do you keep licorice gourami? 

It could be parosphromenus deissneri not at the moment but after going down the rabbit hole I will be getting some in the future am just reading up about the different species and water parameters they require at the moment

Edited by Colu

• 4 months later...
On 6/17/2022 at 5:06 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Ooooh pretty! They have the same red rocket stripe on their tail as clown killis Epiplatys annulatus. I wonder if this is some form of cryptic camouflage or just a rebellious streak.

”It’s not a phase mom *ugh*”

Looking at the pattern I think they would be very well  camouflaged in the leaf litter 

• Like 1