Otocinclus

dmurray407

I just wanted to verify some info I got at a LFS. I'm looking for some otocinclus and was told "Well, that's going to be really hard because they are all live caught in the wild". Is this true?  I can understand that there might be breeding issues for some fish at different times of the year. I've only really looked at that one LFS so far,  but wonder if they are "seasonal" and I should wait before looking at the other fish stores? If I wait long enough I can just do mail order in the spring 🙂

• Thanks 1

Hello, I see Ottos in the stores around me all year long.  That being said this is one little fish I have had no luck with.   Maybe it is the water in my area but I successfully keep many different fish, cherry shrimp and crabs.   I can not keep those guys alive.  Maybe it is because they are wild caught.  I didn’t know that.  

On 1/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, Ambush0908 said:

this is one little fish I have had no luck with

I've heard this from other folks as well. They just seem like they would be perfect for my tank. I'll keep looking but I may end up with something else in the meantime. I'm thinking maybe Panda Corys. I had clown loaches and I really liked them, but they can get so big. They were really fun fish, but my tank is only 60g so my granddaughter took them for her larger tank.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love my Otos. My first batch of 7 lost 6 despite algae availability. Some say it is because they are already starved by the time you get them via shipments and impossible/near impossible for them to come back from that. My second batch ALL made it through QT and are part of my breeding colony of Otos. Yes most LFS are going to get them wild caught- I originally got them BECAUSE they wouldn't breed- but it is possible and they can. I'd only recommend Otos for well established diatom algae, biofilm developed aquariums- once you get them past the 1st month they're pretty much with you. This is not uncommon with wild caught fish. They are adorable and an irreplaceable part of my aquarium life. 

Clown Loaches and Panda Cory are great fish- but not algae eaters- just bottom feeders. So if you were looking for that- you'll not get that from them. You will get fun though. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2022 at 8:32 AM, Guppysnail said:

PANDAS. They are so fun use the entire tank adorable mine are alway up to shenanigans really super fun easy hardy fish. I just moved mine to their own tank they are so awesome. Probably more visible than oto. I’ve not kept oto but heard they can be shy. 

I'm thinking about setting up my new tank -- preferably 20g long or 29g. I want to go much bigger than I have now but not too big. I think I want it to be a panda Cory tank. I don't want to hijack the thread so when you have time, would you mind DM'ing me some tips? 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:04 PM, Jennifer V said:

I'm thinking about setting up my new tank -- preferably 20g long or 29g. I want to go much bigger than I have now but not too big. I think I want it to be a panda Cory tank. I don't want to hijack the thread so when you have time, would you mind DM'ing me some tips? 

Sent you a message. 

On 1/21/2022 at 12:54 PM, mpm42 said:

Tends to come in waves, but its definitely feast or famine around here.  If the LFS you were at couldn't bring them in for you I wouldn't see any reason to wait before looking elsewhere. 

I won't wait too long-it's just that all the other fish stores are about an hour away and it's been really cold out so I worry about transporting them-I do have a cooler with hot packs that works really well but I just worry about getting stuck somewhere with a cooler full of fish 🙂

On 1/21/2022 at 7:59 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@PineSong Their bio load is so small. I have that 40+ in my Accidental Oto tank (10 gallons). I never have an Ammonia or Nitrite issue there. I do run 2 filters. 

I also have 14 or so in my 20 gallon with 10 Harlequins and a whole buncha snails. 

Good to know! Mine are in my 20 high which is not technically overstocked according to water parameters, but is getting pretty visually cluttered as I have to keep adding female mutt guppies as I divide new batches of fry by sex. If I do a good job dividing them and they don't all produce 1000 more, there may be room for more otos one day. I do love watching them perch on the long stalks of the lily pads and on the driftwood.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:19 PM, Ambush0908 said:

Hello, I see Ottos in the stores around me all year long.  That being said this is one little fish I have had no luck with.   Maybe it is the water in my area but I successfully keep many different fish, cherry shrimp and crabs.   I can not keep those guys alive.  Maybe it is because they are wild caught.  I didn’t know that.  

i have the same issue.