My first “breed for profit” project - Snow White Bristlenose

missriss126

I was at my favorite LFS last night and fell in love with the Snow White Bristlenose they had for sale. I had just mentioned to the store owner that all of my current fish are super happy at the moment, I have angelfish, plecos, and corydoras that have been spawning. She mentioned if I bred the snow whites they would buy from me. 

Last night I bought a lot of 8 juveniles that will be here next week! I’m so lucky my wife is just as into the hobby as I am, and it would be awesome to have the hobby help maintain itself financially, too. 

Those of you who have breeding setups, could you share the tips and tricks you have picked up along the way?

pic for tax if the one I saw at my LFS

69EFE159-0EEF-404E-92B1-9CCDC00911FA.jpeg

• Like 4

Have varying size caves, I do find they like the watering spikes you can get on Amazon. 

With the amount they need to eat 50% water changes a couple times a week will get them bigger faster. Keeping them warmer 76-80 will speed up their metabolism. 

Lots of flow, if you can get the flow pointed at the caves it will help the male to aerate the eggs. 

• Like 1

Happy to help anywhere i can. You can slso read about some of it in my journal. Feed them generously repashy algae wafers and veggies nightly. Once you get them settled ill walk you through my setup and regimen if you like. Mine spawn every month like clockwork. I have not tallied final numbers for all the spawns i raised yet but it’s between 80-90 percent survival. I will also share why i lost each fry and how i could have prevented it. As well as any mistakes i made so you can avoid them and have better success Beautiful snow white 🥰 

ps i do believe @Colu and @HH Morantare very successful bristlenose breeders also. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 4

Just thought to tell you If you want dynamite info on pleco breeding in December coop youtube members only presentation on breeding pleco by Barbie Fiorentino (spelling?)and raising fry is fabulous and packed with info. You can watch the video as well as the others that are great. Its 5$ but you also get a 5percent discount on coop orders. I save at least 5$ usually more each month so it pays for itself. 

• Like 3

I have been two successful I have just dropped another batch of 60 off at my lfs still over 150 left I feed my adults and fry a mix of repsashy solient green cucumber blanched spinach and lettuce EBO youngster grow paste and EBO spirulina tabs blood worms hikari algae wafers Sera wood chips bug bites pleco formula feed a  good variety of foods and plenty of caves and wood for them to feel secure is all they need and you will be over run with them mine breed every couple of weeks average spawn is about 60 I usually get 95% survival  I leave the fry in with the parent till they get to a certain size then I move them to another tank before they go to the lfs 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

On 1/15/2022 at 7:20 PM, Guppysnail said:

Happy to help anywhere i can. You can slso read about some of it in my journal. Feed them generously repashy algae wafers and veggies nightly. Once you get them settled ill walk you through my setup and regimen if you like. Mine spawn every month like clockwork. I have not tallied final numbers for all the spawns i raised yet but it’s between 80-90 percent survival. I will also share why i lost each fry and how i could have prevented it. As well as any mistakes i made so you can avoid them and have better success Beautiful snow white 🥰 

ps i do believe @Colu and @HH Morantare very successful bristlenose breeders also. 

This is wonderful, thank you! I will be going to check out your journal for sure. 

• Like 1

My male BN ignored the pleco cave, preferring a smaller opening.  Recommend adding 3 or four options so they can choose.  Once my BN started they were very  prolific, and soon I have 100s of baby’s all over the 20 long. 

plan ahead, cause you just might another/bigger tank!😜

08B1CF4F-E94D-4816-8BC4-47D6192414FF.jpeg

On 1/15/2022 at 8:41 PM, Levi_Aquatics said:

I had no issues breeding my bristlenose however I did struggle keeping water parameters in check in the grow-out aquarium.

Huge appetites and hundreds of the beggars = lots of water changes

On 1/15/2022 at 7:43 PM, Colu said:

I have been two successful I have just dropped another batch of 60 off at my lfs still over 150 left I feed my adults and fry a mix of repsashy solient green cucumber blanched spinach and lettuce EBO youngster grow paste and EBO spirulina tabs blood worms hikari algae wafers Sera wood chips bug bites pleco formula feed a  good variety of foods and plenty of caves and wood for them to feel secure is all they need and you will be over run with them mine breed every couple of weeks average spawn is about 60 I usually get 95% survival  I leave the fry in with the parent till they get to a certain size then I move them to another tank before they go to the lfs 

Me too.  And tetra shrimp wafers.  I dropped the repashy in just before bed. Wafers in the am

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 7:31 PM, Ken Burke said:

My male BN ignored the pleco cave, preferring a smaller opening.  Recommend adding 3 or four options so they can choose.  Once my BN started they were very  prolific, and soon I have 100s of baby’s all over the 20 long. 

Me too.  And tetra shrimp wafers.  I dropped the repashy in just before bed. Wafers in the am

And don’t forget the occasional green been 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 7:31 PM, Ken Burke said:

Good call on having different types/sizes of caves available!

Mine generally prefer caves they can barely squeeze into. More protein rich food can help also. I drop in a frozen shrimp (the human consumption cooked, deveined kind in the 71-90 size) each day. they spend hours grazing on that. They're such an absurdly easy fish to spawn and raise that you'll wonder why they cost so much to buy.

Very cool missriss!

I have two setups with groups of bristlenose; 2M/3F albino and 1M/3F super red. They have yet to spawn, but I am not sure if it is age or if I am not feeding enough. My males have distinct bristles, but they aren't as big as @Ken Burke's above.

Hopefully, if anyone has tips for me, they'll also help missriss.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, Vanish said:

Very cool missriss!

I have two setups with groups of bristlenose; 2M/3F albino and 1M/3F super red. They have yet to spawn, but I am not sure if it is age or if I am not feeding enough. My males have distinct bristles, but they aren't as big as @Ken Burke's above.

Hopefully, if anyone has tips for me, they'll also help missriss.

First three ingredients for fish breeding: patience, plenty of high quality food, and clean water…..  took me several attempts to get my male, once he started his beard to did not take too long (looking back)

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 5:26 PM, Vanish said:

Omg... 😂 I hope it goes this well for you missriss! There are more than these.

20220117_162549.jpg.2a53b55aff3929f62c54160aa821b1dc.jpg

Plecos are the best! I hope it goes well for me too. Quarantine tub is set up and ready to go for their arrival. The group I’m getting are 1.25-1.5 in.

My current pleco fry from my bigger community tank are from a chocolate male to albino female and the babies are about the size of my thumbnail!