This Tank is taking FOREVER to Cycle!

laritheloud

So I have a 20 gallon long that I've been cycling for 5 to 6 weeks now with no end in sight, and I'm getting frustrated. I think I've dumped 4 bottles of bacteria in this thing, changed the water a couple of times when KH bottomed out and PH dropped, raised the temp, kept adding ammonia up to 4 ppm, added plants, seeded the filter with sponges from another tank... and this 20 long is stalling like crazy with the nitrite. 😞 Ammonia is gone in under half a day, but nitrite is taking up to 48 hours to completely clear, usually hanging at around 0.5 ppm for more than half that time.

My first tank cycled in 2 weeks. My second and third tanks took about three weeks. I have no idea why this tank is being so stubborn. GH and KH are still at a good level, lots of organics, feeding the bacteria with ammonia whenever it crawls back down to zero on both ammonia and nitrite... and still. It's been stuck at this level for about two weeks.

Has anyone been stuck at this stage for this long? What else can I do to foster bacteria growth, or do I just have to be patient? I feel like there's been no movement in the cycle at all, and it's stuck at 0.5 ppm nitrites for two days straight after dosing ammonia.

Edited by laritheloud

Hmm i  would try to do daily water changes for about a week and rhen test your water.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:11 PM, laritheloud said:

I put in plants 4 weeks ago.

Also if you have any cycled sponges squeeze the dirty water into the cycling tank.

Just keep doing 50 percent water changes 

Until it is good

On 1/13/2022 at 4:14 PM, Mydonkeyfish said:

Hmm i  would try to do daily water changes for about a week and rhen test your water.

Also if you have any cycled sponges squeeze the dirty water into the cycling tank.

Just keep doing 50 percent water changes 

I'll try the 50 percent changes... It's just insane how much seeded material I put into this tank and it's still not cycled.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:22 PM, HH Morant said:

I would try putting ammonia in every day, not just when ammonia reading is zero.

Nitrite-eating bacteria always lags ammonia-eating bacteria because nitrite is not present until ammonia-eating bacteria is already working.

I've tried both and it just seems to compound, but I'll keep at it.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:15 PM, Chad said:

Why the water change? I don't have any knowledge on this and am only curious why a water change would help.

The only reason I have ever changed water during cycling is to replenish minerals. My buffer got completely eaten up and my PH plummeted to below 6 during this cycle; ordinarily my KH is 11 and my PH is 8.0, to give you an idea. This does slow down the cycle significantly.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, laritheloud said:

The only reason I have ever changed water during cycling is to replenish minerals. My buffer got completely eaten up and my PH plummeted to below 6 during this cycle; ordinarily my KH is 11 and my PH is 8.0, to give you an idea. This does slow down the cycle significantly.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the reply!

I was going to suggest do nothing let nature have a go and after my a week see where you are. 

If it's not a fish in cycle no need to kill yourself with water changes.  

I've got a tank in slow cycle in my kitchen at they moment with a view to trying shrimp it's so frustrating but fingers crossed it will be ready by the spring.

• Like 1

I have had this happen to me before with a fishless cycle using ammonia. My advice would be to stop adding the ammonia and give it a day or two do a 50% water change and then add a small number of fish (no more than 6 depending on what you are stocking with). Test the water daily and do water changes if you get above .5ppm, in my experience most fish can tolerate this level for the short period of time. 

On 1/13/2022 at 6:17 PM, Intuos said:

I have had this happen to me before with a fishless cycle using ammonia. My advice would be to stop adding the ammonia and give it a day or two do a 50% water change and then add a small number of fish (no more than 6 depending on what you are stocking with). Test the water daily and do water changes if you get above .5ppm, in my experience most fish can tolerate this level for the short period of time. 

I'm honestly just about to go ahead and do this. It's almost less hassle to do daily 50% water changes to manage Nitrite (at 0.5ppm or less) than it is to sit through this. 😭 I keep trying to resist because I've done successful fishless cycles before. It's supposed to be a quarantine tank (yes, I plant my quarantines) and I want to get a pleco to quarantine for about 5 weeks before placing it in my 55 gallon.

It sounds like you’re using every trick in the book. Maybe you just don’t have enough media or surface area to handle the 4ppm ammonia? Would it make sense to try adding less but adding it everyday like @HH Morant suggested? It’s clearly a common problem based on how many folk ask for advice on similar issues. 

Edited by Patrick_G

On 1/13/2022 at 6:36 PM, Patrick_G said:

It sounds like you’re using every trick in the book. Maybe you just don’t have enough media or surface area to handle the 4ppm ammonia? Would it make sense to try adding less but adding it everyday like @HH Morant suggested? It’s clearly a common problem based on how many folk ask for advice on similar issues. 

I have a 10 gallon ACO sponge filter and a 50 gallon HOB AquaClear on the tank, so I don't think that's the issue. I dosed to 2ppm after a big water change and I'll see what happens. It's definitely testing my patience, because I have green algae growth, lots of plant growth, and general scuzz everywhere, AND YET.... not cycled yet.

EDITED: it's a 50 gallon HOB lol

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 1

I didn't see this question get asked, but it might be insightful:  Are you seeing nitrates increasing?  If you are seeing nitrates going up, it means the cycle is working.  You mentioned that you are seeing a log of algae, that might be a good sign that you making progress.

StanF

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:33 PM, StanF said:

I didn't see this question get asked, but it might be insightful:  Are you seeing nitrates increasing?  If you are seeing nitrates going up, it means the cycle is working.  You mentioned that you are seeing a log of algae, that might be a good sign that you making progress.

StanF

Oh, my nitrates are sky-high. I know the cycle is working because nitrites make it down to 0.5 to 0.25 ppm before it slows to a near stop for a day (after spiking up to 5+ppm off the chart).

Definitely strange!  I would go with what @HH Morant said and keep adding 2ppm of ammonia every day and monitor.  Maybe keep a log or journal with daily water test results.  The bacteria should be able to keep up with a small amount of ammonia being added every day and it is "food" for them to grow.  Try daily feedings for a week or two.

Other than that, I'm not sure what I would do in your situation.  Best of luck!

StanF

Hi @laritheloud, have you heard of Dr. Tim Hovanec? I would suggest reading some of his stuff or listening to him talk about a fishless cycle. He created Dr. Tims aquatics which is known for their bacteria in a bottle and ammonium chloride solution. I used his method and products to successfully fishless cycle my reef tank quickly. 

From what I learned from him and my own fishless cycle, you typically do not want to go to high with the initial ammonia concentration. I used 2ppm. The purpose for this is that you want to keep the concentration of ammonia and nitrite below 5ppm or else you will stall your cycle which may be happening to you. 

The bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate typically takes the longest to establish so if you constantly add more ammonia or start off with a lot of ammonia, you will end up with a nitrite concentration over 5ppm causing the cycle to stall. It is not necessary to have a constant source of ammonia either.

I imagine your kh dropped because the high concentrations of ammonia and nitrite and ultimately nitrates are causing your water to acidify due to the nitrogen cycle. The issue with that as well is that once the ph drops below 7 as it will with your kh dropping, your bacteria will have a harder time establishing. 

There is a lot to unpack here but ultimately I would recommend doing a 50% water change daily until you get your ammonia and nitrite concentrations somewhere in the 1-3ppm range, or even just to get your nitrate in a fish safe zone. Then you can begin again adding minimal ammonia (1-2ppm) and letting that convert to nitrite, then waiting for that nitrite to convert to nitrate. After that you can add another 1ppm of ammonia just to check if the cycle is working properly, if it is, you are cycled!  

Anyways, this can get somewhat complex so I just stick to using seeded media and plants in my own tanks 😂

Good luck and let us know if you need any additional help! You can do this! 

• Like 2