Single Rainbow Gasping?

EVoyager31

I have a 75g heavily planted tank injecting c02 and easy green. Tank is stocked with 12 juvenile boesemani rainbows, mystery snails, and a few kuhli loaches and some amano shrimp. (I also have a small circulation pump running as well).

I have one boesemani that is hanging out at the top gasping but I am unsure what is wrong. I checked the water parameters and I am within range on everything (with the exception of ph that has been manipulated by my c02). Ammonia and nitrites at 0 and nitrates at around 5.0ppm. 
I have been injecting c02 for a couple weeks and had NO issues.. no gasping fish, no odd behavior etc. I just switched my inline diffuser for a GLA reactor and had it running for a whole 2 minutes when I noticed a single rainbow gasping. In an effort to figure out what is going on I turned off the c02 and did a 20% water change and turned my spraybar up a tad to get some surface agitation thinking I needed to balance out the O2.

Thoughts? Everyone else in the tank seems to be doing fine, really don’t want this little bastard to die. 😞

If it is just 1 I would watch him closely. I know nothing about co2   Whenever a single fish starts reacting drastically to something it sometimes means there is something else that has weakened them already and any added stressor sends them into odd behavior. Best of luck I hope he recovers. 

• Thanks 1

I would add an extra air stone I and monitor if it's getting worse you might want to Qarantine and add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons salt helps with Gill function and adds essential electrolytes to help reduce stress in your fish

• Thanks 1

So far the one I mentioned in OG post has died.. looked him over and didnt see anything abnormal or anything that stood out as an issue.

I now have another fish who is acting the same as the one that died. I tried to get a photo, but its kind of hard to get him to sit for a photo.. the one below is the closest I could get.

960E0700-E0C5-43CF-8422-02038F119D1E.jpeg

A890130A-1979-4919-8A43-04A856109C02.jpeg

478B7954-9FCC-49CA-95CF-BF337D794598.jpeg

What Is your PH? Bosmani are hard water fish. I suggest a 40% water change. My 100gl. tank is nearly all rainbows and don't have any issues. My parameters are PH 8, Ammonia and Nitrite 0 Nitrate 25-50 KH 10-12 GH 18. No CO2 and very good surface agitation.  

On 1/6/2022 at 6:19 PM, EVoyager31 said:

So far the one I mentioned in OG post has died.. looked him over and didnt see anything abnormal or anything that stood out as an issue.

I now have another fish who is acting the same as the one that died. I tried to get a photo, but its kind of hard to get him to sit for a photo.. the one below is the closest I could get.

960E0700-E0C5-43CF-8422-02038F119D1E.jpeg

A890130A-1979-4919-8A43-04A856109C02.jpeg

478B7954-9FCC-49CA-95CF-BF337D794598.jpeg

It could be Gill flukes with rapid breathing have you noticed any flashing also could have something to do with your GLA reactor the fact that the Frist fish develope symptoms a couple of minutes after you started using it 

On 1/6/2022 at 7:05 PM, Colu said:

It could be Gill flukes with rapid breathing have you noticed any flashing also could have something to do with your GLA reactor the fact that the Frist fish develope symptoms a couple of minutes after you started using it 

I mean it was a brand new piece of plastic.. doesn’t make sense.. and what do you mean by flashing?

On 1/6/2022 at 5:18 PM, EVoyager31 said:

I mean it was a brand new piece of plastic.. doesn’t make sense.. and what do you mean by flashing?

'Flashing' is when a fish rapidly rubs against hardscape resulting in a "flash off their scales" as they change the way the light refracts due to the sudden movement. 

@Mmiller2001 is the best person for CO2 tank support. 

I'm sorry for the loss of your fish.

Those GLA reactors are very efficient. If you're injecting at the same rate as before, you could be gassing the fish. How are you measuring CO2 levels? What is your KH and pH with CO2 on?

This is what fish look like when CO2 is starting to get too high. After this, they will begin passing out then die.

Did you quarantine the fish and or medicate the fish? Is the tank cycled? Is this a new tank? What is the GH? What is the TDS of the tank?

On 1/7/2022 at 1:23 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Those GLA reactors are very efficient. If you're injecting at the same rate as before, you could be gassing the fish. How are you measuring CO2 levels? What is your KH and pH with CO2 on?

This is what fish look like when CO2 is starting to get too high. After this, they will begin passing out then die.

Did you quarantine the fish and or medicate the fish? Is the tank cycled? Is this a new tank? What is the GH? What is the TDS of the tank?

Gassing was my first thought as well, but it was only one fish at a time and I did lower my c02 injection to compensate for the more efficient reactor. I’ve had the c02 off since I noticed the first fish and been aerating the tank like crazy just in case. I do measure using the KH and PH scale and when the c02 was on, I was in the lower end of the green using that handy c02 chart. 

On 1/7/2022 at 5:08 AM, EVoyager31 said:

Gassing was my first thought as well, but it was only one fish at a time and I did lower my c02 injection to compensate for the more efficient reactor. I’ve had the c02 off since I noticed the first fish and been aerating the tank like crazy just in case. I do measure using the KH and PH scale and when the c02 was on, I was in the lower end of the green using that handy c02 chart. 

That would make you low on CO2 then. Something else is going on.