My intro post

zelibeli

Hello all,

I'm new to the forums but I've been watching Aquarium Co-op vids on YouTube for almost a year now. I had a 10-gallon aquarium in my childhood, but the limit of my knowledge came from a my-first-aquarium style of book and whatever the salesperson at the local Meijer told me. I didn't have much success but I kept a betta for a number of years and an African dwarf frog for about 4 years, which in hindsight I think might have survived despite my quality of care. 

I got back into the hobby due to quarantining. We were reorganizing the rooms in our house, and my son, who had his aquarium for about 6 years, told me that he was no longer interested in keeping it, but felt bad about what to do with his fish that were still alive. I told him I'd take care of them and we moved his 36 gallon bowfront from his room to my gaming/office/now-fish room. Removing the glow-in-the-dark décor to something I'd enjoy in my gaming/office space got me googling and youtubing and the next thing I know, I have 7 aquariums and watch aquarium co-op and some other fish youtubers regularly. 

I have a 36-gallon, a 20-gallon long, 2 10-gallon talls, 2 5-gallons and a 1-gallon that is just for java moss and snails, and in the summer I kept a very small minipond that might be 10 gallons. I'd like to go bigger but I think I'm limited to how much I can add to this room. It's a small middle room over a finished basement and I worry about the inevitable water leak.  I keep cherry shrimp, amano  shrimp, guppies, black neons, bettas, corydoras, otos, and a 7 year old pink glofish that has survived all of my well intentioned mistakes so far. 

I don't know a single person who is into this hobby irl and I hope that this forum gives me a place to share and absorb more. 

IMG_2216.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2218.jpg

minipond1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Love 5

@zelibeli; You've got some great looking tanks there. I agree with @Streetwise about keeping a journal, keeping a journal not only records any mistakes you may have made and your corrective procedures, but also your successes and what you did to bring about those successes so that you can repeat them in the future. Welcome to the forum, you're going to love it. Another thing, you can google a treasure trove of info about any fish you may have and any disease your fish may have.

Good luck, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Like 2

@CalmedByFish & @patricia Thanks!

@GameCzar I'm new to guppies. I got my first ones in August 2020. I only recently mixed my boys and girls, and only for 2 days and I just had my first fry. Sadly, they were born on Dec 23, which was a very busy "get ready for the holiday" time and I didn't notice them until the moms had eaten almost all of them. I have 8 surviving fry and one of my girls died during pregnancy so I've got some mixed emotions about mixing the genders again. On a happier note, I really like your Wonder Woman journal. I might be inspired to do a Forest Moon of Endor themed tank someday. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 4:52 PM, zelibeli said:

@CalmedByFish & @patricia Thanks!

@GameCzar I'm new to guppies. I got my first ones in August 2020. I only recently mixed my boys and girls, and only for 2 days and I just had my first fry. Sadly, they were born on Dec 23, which was a very busy "get ready for the holiday" time and I didn't notice them until the moms had eaten almost all of them. I have 8 surviving fry and one of my girls died during pregnancy so I've got some mixed emotions about mixing the genders again. On a happier note, I really like your Wonder Woman journal. I might be inspired to do a Forest Moon of Endor themed tank someday. 

@TheCzarista did a great job with her Wonder Woman tank!  

Don't let the guppy breeding get you down, I felt like I was a murderer at first!  It does get better, and there's lots of experienced guppy folks here! 

• Like 2

On 12/30/2021 at 5:52 PM, zelibeli said:

I might be inspired to do a Forest Moon of Endor themed tank someday. 

I did an endor tank for my husband that he really enjoys. Which means more happy boxes of water at our house 😄 Your tanks look great, and I'm super impressed by a 7yo glofish! I thought I was doing well with a 5yo cardinal tetra in my little office tank years ago. That tank now lives with me in our kitchen at home and is a happy home to endlers and shrimp since I got the bug again last summer. 

Do consider a journal - never seen unkind feedback here, everyone is super supportive. Welcome to a lovely community.

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Like 1