Odd foods

Gideyon

Does anyone have a childhood food that you enjoyed even until now, but others find it odd or disgusting? 

For me, it was cheese and mayo sandwiches.  

In my teens and early 20s, I got into ramen noodles with hot dogs. Haven't had it in years, but I'd love it if I did. 

HP sauce on toast or crumpets.  no substitute on brand of brown sauce.   People seem more accepting if there is cheese on the toast. 

On 12/16/2021 at 4:21 AM, Gideyon said:

it was cheese and mayo sandwiches

Isn't that just a cheese sandwich ? Add onion and you have a butty box staple. 

On 12/16/2021 at 6:41 AM, Flumpweesel said:

Isn't that just a cheese sandwich ? Add onion and you have a butty box staple. 

I know, right?   I thought it was a common staple of a childhood lunchbox to get a break from pb&j.  But I've had more "eww" than a simple acceptance when I mention it now. 

• Like 1

Things I thought everyone ate, and I have discovered that not only did everyone *not* eat many of my favorites, they find them offensive🤷‍♂️

I grew up in a multinational family, so I was exposed to a wider variety of foods than the typical USian.

1. Cucumber and mayo sandwiches.

2. Miracle whip on both pieces of bread, for a tastier peanut butter and banana sandwich. 

3. Cold, honey dew melon soup, especially when garnished with a twist of orange and a sprig of mint.

4. Ceviche 

5. Thai fried fish (it's a smaller fish, and only has the intestines removed. Oil is hot enough to "flash fry" the fish, turning the fins and tail into the tastiest "fish chip" possible) where the bones and *everything* are edible. 

If the fish is too large, the skeleton gets left on the plate. 

6. Authentic sushi

7. Ethiopian peanut soup

8. Vietnamese peppers (the trick is to follow immediately with cucumber)

10. Calamari 

11. Escargot

12. Head cheese

• Love 1

On 12/17/2021 at 12:37 AM, Torrey said:

Things I thought everyone ate, and I have discovered that not only did everyone *not* eat many of my favorites, they find them offensive🤷‍♂️

I grew up in a multinational family, so I was exposed to a wider variety of foods than the typical USian.

1. Cucumber and mayo sandwiches.

2. Miracle whip on both pieces of bread, for a tastier peanut butter and banana sandwich. 

3. Cold, honey dew melon soup, especially when garnished with a twist of orange and a sprig of mint.

4. Ceviche 

5. Thai fried fish (it's a smaller fish, and only has the intestines removed. Oil is hot enough to "flash fry" the fish, turning the fins and tail into the tastiest "fish chip" possible) where the bones and *everything* are edible. 

If the fish is too large, the skeleton gets left on the plate. 

6. Authentic sushi

7. Ethiopian peanut soup

8. Vietnamese peppers (the trick is to follow immediately with cucumber)

10. Calamari 

11. Escargot

12. Head cheese

I have to admit seeing head cheese at the bottom of the list caught me off guard.  I like it too, with crackers and a few sprinkles of pepper sauce made from birds eye peppers and vinegar.

I grew up eating split pea soup.  When I got married my wife thought it sounded disgusting, but she tried it, and liked it.

Edited by JettsPapa

On 12/17/2021 at 6:30 AM, Atitagain said:

I would love to remember how it was I came to try this. My odd food was a peanut butter and jelly…wait for it, then add a slice of bologna. Sometimes a layer of potato chips was added to sandwich.

oh so close. peanut butter, drizzle honey over that, then sprinkle on some coconut then cheap plain potato chips layered on.

I, too, grew up in a not-entirely American home so .... raw meat. Not only did my mother serve steak tartare as a 'normal' dinner food, we kids would hang around when she was cutting up raw beef for other dishes and beg for little pieces, like baby birds in a nest. I was also a big fan of artichokes and sauteed mushrooms and I remember my friends acting like these were not even real food, much less a treat.

Lunch sandwiches were salami and there was none of that soft sliced white bread involved. I used to fantasize about Wonder bread because I only ever had it at other people's houses.

I've been a vegetarian for more than 30 years, but I can still taste that raw meat and the redwood slab mom cut it on 🙂

• Like 1

@Flumpweesel and @JettsPapa y'all grew up in the South?

I very rarely find anyone who knows what headcheese is unless they also grew up in the Bible belt. Though I don't remember ever hearing it called Brawn🤔

There are a lot of foods that I ate at friends (our family sponsored several refugee families, so mostly Hmong, Iranian and Ethiopian foods) that I never learned the names. I just learned that some of the best tasting foods were going to be looking back at me, because guests get the choice meats as a respect.

My mom did a pretty good job at teaching us kids to eat whatever was in front of us, including liverpudding.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 7:27 PM, Torrey said:

@Flumpweesel and @JettsPapa y'all grew up in the South?

I very rarely find anyone who knows what headcheese is unless they also grew up in the Bible belt. Though I don't remember ever hearing it called Brawn🤔

There are a lot of foods that I ate at friends (our family sponsored several refugee families, so mostly Hmong, Iranian and Ethiopian foods) that I never learned the names. I just learned that some of the best tasting foods were going to be looking back at me, because guests get the choice meats as a respect.

My mom did a pretty good job at teaching us kids to eat whatever was in front of us, including liverpudding.

Yup.  I grew up in southeast Texas.  As far as I know all my ancestors came from Germany in the late 19th century.  My generation was the first to grow up speaking mostly English instead of German, and I grew up butchering most of the meat we ate.  I haven't had any in a very long time, but I've eaten my share of blood sausage.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, JettsPapa said:

Yup.  I grew up in southeast Texas.  As far as I know all my ancestors came from Germany in the late 19th century.  My generation was the first to grow up speaking mostly English instead of German, and I grew up butchering most of the meat we ate.  I haven't had any in a very long time, but I've eaten my share of blood sausage.

Yes, I remember butchering on my aunt and uncle's farm, most of the hogs were bigger than me 🤣

When I was raising my kids on a farm up in WA, they couldn't bring themselves to butcher the ducks we had raised as meat birds... so the household went vegan.

It lasted 6 weeks, until the ducks matured and my kids learned that drakes can be real jerks😳

No problem butchering after that, as long as we limited to butchering the drakes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1