Cold water algae/detritus eaters

GardenStateGoldfish

Hello all! I’m looking for some advice on some detravores/algae eaters for a COLD water set up. I am a goldfish breeder so I have seasonal temps, the tank is usually around 72 in the summertime but this winter the tank temps can get as low as 43F in my basement (unheated) normally it floats around 50-53F. I do not want to add any heaters to the tank as these seasonal conditions are fantastic for the goldfish health and spawning come spring. 

I attempted to do some hill stream loaches last year but it just got to cold for them so I took them out and sold them, rams horns do great but some of my breeders are big enough to actually eat them now, so their numbers stay small. I was thinking of adding scuds, but I know once I do that I can’t undo it. Anyone else have any other suggestions? 

oh also the reason I’m doing this is I am experimenting with a filterless fish keeping style so there is not really any mechanical filtration and I am trying to do this without mechanical filtration (if possible) the clams and plants seem to do a fantastic job in the smaller set ups I did this in, but in particular this 270 seems to have a mulm problem. 

thanks all! 

Edit, added the successful first attempt at this in the 29g filterless planted aquarium as well, I am trying to get the 270 to function as well as the 29, the major difference is temperature and snail density. I think the key difference is the Malaysian trumpet snails, it gets to cold on the basement for them, but they keep the 29g mulm free. 

7E61BADF-99D4-4B35-BAE5-07B4D973FC8A.jpeg

363E05D3-C9B9-4DEC-B23B-1CB52B372ECB.jpeg

Edited by GardenStateGoldfish
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Only thing I have had success with is full grown Ramshorn snails  my 12in goldfish eats any smaller ones I have keeped dojo loach with goldfish they not much of a clean up crew I also drop in bladder snails but I think they get eaten as I only see the odd one 

• Like 1

I kept Dojo loaches in unheated aquariums and they certainly stir up the substrate but then again so did my goldfish couldn't be sure how happy they'd be at the low end of your temps though they can get very lethargic . I have also had some success with swan mussels as long as the substrate is deep enough for them to keep out of the goldfishes way.  But it sounds like you've already explored them.

I kept my fish on very shallow gravel to allow them to sift through it 

If you were a little bit warmer (just protecting against the lower end) garra rufa could be an option but they are best around 60F 

On 11/28/2021 at 4:07 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

You might want to look into Dojo loaches. I have always wanted some (but space doesn't allow for it)

Thanks for the reply @Dwayne Brown, unfortunately dojo loaches are illegal in New Jersey 😞 I would also be concerned without a lid but they are very cool and certainly can handle the temp in the basement. 

I do hope to eventually fix the insulation to my basement but I haven’t had the funds for that yet (newish home owner) so lots of projects. 

@Colu @Brandon p I currently have rams horns in there however they aren’t able to colonize quickly in this tank, my 9 inch oranda can eat them so I have about 50 in there but in a 270 heavily planted that’s almost nothing in terms of their ability to perform. I started with hundreds and they did a great job cleaning until their numbers dwindled to an ineffective number, I do add more from my other tanks but they quickly end up as food so I feel a little guilty adding more. 

I understand that. I have about 500 in all my tanks. But no one single one that is in with the clown loaches. They do have a snail grave yard because to to feed them to the loaches and the shells break down way to fast so the tank can use the Ca. I don’t know the temps of mystery snails are but there from the Amazon. I might suggest Malaysian trumpet snails but once you have them you probably will have them forever. 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:40 PM, Brandon p said:

I might suggest Malaysian trumpet snails but once you have them you probably will have them forever. 

I highly recommend these to anyone, however unfortunately it gets to cold for them. The only snails that have lived the winter in my basement are Nerite and Rams, I am sure Bladder and Pond snails also would work, but they get eaten by the fish. The Malasyian Trumpet Snails are the best and should be in every aquarium in my opinion, but once the water drops below 55 I have not seen them able to survive. I suppose what I am looking for is the coldwater version of the MTS if someone knows of one. 

There are some native pond snails in the greater northeast that are sold in bait shops as well as allowed to be collected for food purposes. If you go that route just QT them. They get large enough that you don't have to worry about them being goldfish food, but the population of young will likely be kept in check by the goldfish

I believe weather loaches have been made illegal in most northern states due to their ability to survive our winters and outcompete natives. 

Alot of "coldwater" species just do well without a heater, but still can't have temps drop below 65F as they aren't true temperate species. The only other recommendation I have that likely isn't illegal is daces. They pick at algae and diatoms. I believe @Fish Folk has started keeping the southern redbelly variety.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2021 at 11:27 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Alot of "coldwater" species just do well without a heater, but still can't have temps drop below 65F as they aren't true temperate species. The only other recommendation I have that likely isn't illegal is daces. They pick at algae and diatoms. I believe @Fish Folk has started keeping the southern redbelly variety.

Southern Redbelly Dace do pick at some algae and detritus, but I'm not sure they'll really do what your'e looking for. If your temps didn't drop so low, I'd wonder out loud if you could keep Florida Flagfish alive in your set up. They'll munch away at algae.