Plant ID?

Helan

On 11/28/2021 at 2:29 PM, anewbie said:

If you look the look a similar but aquatic plant can be found among the various crinum.... 

Here's a leaf, I believe from my crinum?

It grew out of the water in spouse's tank, and decided it didn't like terrestrial growing.20211128_143249.jpg.5c2e3b1920fd59498a0e38e564058be4.jpg

I can't get a good picture of the plant in the tank, because it's in the very back. Leaves are kind of crinkly? And the longest leaf was 24" long. This leaf is only 14" long (for perspective)

• Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 4:44 PM, Torrey said:

It grew out of the water in spouse's tank, and decided it didn't like terrestrial growing.20211128_143249.jpg.5c2e3b1920fd59498a0e38e564058be4.jpg

I can't get a good picture of the plant in the tank, because it's in the very back. Leaves are kind of crinkly? And the longest leaf was 24" long. This leaf is only 14" long (for perspective)

Crinum is a genus; the different species have very different type of leaves.

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2021 at 5:26 PM, Torrey said:

I have no idea which species, it was gifted to me simply as a crinum.

So? The point I was making was that if the op @Helan liked the look of the plants I believe a couple of the crinum have similar looks. The fact that you have a species that is totally different is not relevant.

• Like 1

If roots are growing out of a bulb, it may be an ornamental terrestrial plant referred to as a corn plant, I don't know a corn plants taxonomic name, but look up corn plant, crinum, and mondo grass on google to make a comparison to what you have. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 5:29 AM, anewbie said:

If you look the look a similar but aquatic plant can be found among the various crinum.... 

yes looks quite similar exempted for the texture

On 11/29/2021 at 2:31 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'm pretty sure that's correct.  It might do okay in a tank for a while, but it will eventually rot.

I heard of people being able to grow them submerged for years ,is it possible?

On 11/29/2021 at 6:51 AM, Cory said:

I'd put money on Mondo grass. Needs to have leaves in a humid environment out of water.

Cool ,I will remove it right away!

Yep, looks like mondo grass.  Definitely not a Val, they have much limper, softer leaves when out of water.  All the Crinums I’ve seen have a definite bulb and fairly thick, rigid leaves, some are pretty straight and smooth, some are slightly crinkly, some very crinkly.  Very worth investigating if you like the look of that mondo grass.

I have a couple Crinums (natans) on either side in my 75 gallon.  They have the thick, curling leaves, bigger one on the left, smaller on the right.

35E366D6-60A6-4652-B310-1E70C02F8695.jpeg

7FCBC09F-85C6-469F-BAA2-1FBC4B5B2713.jpeg

On 11/28/2021 at 3:44 PM, Torrey said:

@Helan I will try to get you a better picture tomorrow. 

I'm sorry I don't know which species of crinum, I shared because it's the closest to mondo grass of the plants I have, it's fairly easy to grow (don't really 'plant' it, let the bulb rest on top of the substrate and it will put out roots fairly quickly), and I believe may give you the look you wanted. The leaves are "flat", my particular variety that I was gifted has really wavy/crinkly leaves that add texture. 

On 11/29/2021 at 2:22 PM, Torrey said:

@Helan I will try to get you a better picture tomorrow. 

I'm sorry I don't know which species of crinum, I shared because it's the closest to mondo grass of the plants I have, it's fairly easy to grow (don't really 'plant' it, let the bulb rest on top of the substrate and it will put out roots fairly quickly), and I believe may give you the look you wanted. The leaves are "flat", my particular variety that I was gifted has really wavy/crinkly leaves that add texture. 

It’s alright,I don’t even know what type of Crinum I like 🤣

On 11/29/2021 at 1:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

Yep, looks like mondo grass.  Definitely not a Val, they have much limper, softer leaves when out of water.  All the Crinums I’ve seen have a definite bulb and fairly thick, rigid leaves, some are pretty straight and smooth, some are slightly crinkly, some very crinkly.  Very worth investigating if you like the look of that mondo grass.

I have a couple Crinums (natans) on either side in my 75 gallon.  They have the thick, curling leaves, bigger one on the left, smaller on the right.

Are they easy to care for?,and do they have to be in a pot ?

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 4:02 AM, Helan said:

Are they easy to care for?,and do they have to be in a pot ?

I put mine in pots because they are in the tank with my Jack Dempseys who are HARD on plants.  This was the only way I’ve been successful at getting them to not destroy all the plants in their tank.  They still manage to do some damage intermittently and they’re super hard on the Jungle Val that’s in the tank with them.  The Val leaves are a bit too soft and get torn up even though the bases of the plants are protected by layers of pebbles.

In a normal tank without plant abusers, they could go into the substrate with about 1/4 to 1/3 of the base of the bulb planted.  These only have this much bulb exposed because the Jacks partially dislodged them.  Otherwise they have stood up well to the Jacks (much better than the Jungle Vals have fared).

I’ll probably be moving whatever Jungle Vals are left and planting more Crinums in the near future.  I wanted those big, tall, straight leaves to echo the tall straight lucky bamboo, but I don’t think they’re going to get there with Jacks beating up on them.

And yes, easy to care for.  I have them planted in dirt sprinkled with a few Osmocote granules, then capped with sand, then I placed pebbles only because of the Jacks.  I do also use some Easy Green sometimes, but probably don’t need to since there’s no water column feeders in the tank.  I am due to start adding root tabs any time now, though.

Edit to make a correction:  even though I don’t have epiphytes, I do have emerse plants but the Jacks and Plecos are heady eaters and poopers and the emerse plants job is to remove nitrates so I don’t fertilize heavy with the Easy Green.

Edited by Odd Duck

On 11/29/2021 at 8:21 PM, Odd Duck said:

I put mine in pots because they are in the tank with my Jack Dempseys who are HARD on plants.  This was the only way I’ve been successful at getting them to not destroy all the plants in their tank.  They still manage to do some damage intermittently and they’re super hard on the Jungle Val that’s in the tank with them.  The Val leaves are a bit too soft and get torn up even though the bases of the plants are protected by layers of pebbles.

In a normal tank without plant abusers, they could go into the substrate with about 1/4 to 1/3 of the base of the bulb planted.  These only have this much bulb exposed because the Jacks partially dislodged them.  Otherwise they have stood up well to the Jacks (much better than the Jungle Vals have fared.

I’ll probably be moving whatever Jungle Vals are left and planting more Crinums in the near future.  I wanted those big, tall, straight leaves to echo the tall straight lucky bamboo, but I don’t think they’re going to get there with Jacks beating up on them.

And yes, easy to care for.  I have them planted in dirt sprinkled with a few Osmocote granules, then capped with sand, then I placed pebbles only because of the Jacks.  I do also use some Easy Green sometimes, but probably don’t need to since there’s no water column feeders in the tank.  I am due to start adding root tabs any time now, though.

Cool, I think I would try those thanks

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 10:07 PM, Odd Duck said:

Oops, I had missed your answer 🤦‍♂️ @Helan the red clay pot crinum of @Odd Duck is the crinum I have, except mine was gifted and the bulb was barely noticeable when I got it.

I was warned that they can be very temperamental with water parameter changes, so in anticipation of a potential issue, I merely laid the bulb on top of the substrate, and used a piece of wood to hold the roots in contact with the substrate.

I had zero melt of original leaves, and only the leaf that grew up and completely out of the water had to be removed (so far).

The fish love weaving in and out of the leaves, and they have a pleasing vertical growth of 12" to 14", with a gentle arch and then the leaf (after ~ 14" mark) is infinitely less rigid and 'flows' with the current.

My crinum was an offshoot of a NMAS member, and the 'bulb' looked more like a swollen part of root with leaves erupting. ~2 months later, it's starting to look like a proper bulb.

(Simply offering information to make it easier for you to select what you want).

• Thanks 1