Frozen food for small fish recommendations?

BayFish28

Does anyone have a recommendation of frozen food for smaller fish with small mouths? I've been using frozen brine and blood worms but find some of my fish (pygmy cory) have to work somewhat hard to eat some of the food since it's large compared to their tiny mouths. 

Thanks!!

Edited by BayFish28

I have Embers, Endlers and CPDs and have the same issue. I've heard of some people crushing or chopping up some frozen foods to make it smaller. I've not tried that HOWEVER, get frozen BABY brine and ALL my fish love that. 🙂  I have regular brine too, nobody seems to be interested in them even my Harlequins and Black Neons. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 8:40 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I have Embers, Endlers and CPDs and have the same issue. I've heard of some people crushing or chopping up some frozen foods to make it smaller. I've not tried that HOWEVER, get frozen BABY brine and ALL my fish love that. 🙂  I have regular brine too, nobody seems to be interested in them even my Harlequins and Black Neons. 

Oh I didn't know they sold frozen baby brine, I'll have to give that a shot and maybe I'll try to chop up the frozen worms and brine if I can. Thanks!

• Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 9:20 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Yea frozen food labeling can be tricky. There are also LARGE BLOCKS and MINI BLOCKS and even frozen pouches you have to break pieces off of. So look for BABY brine and the size appropriate for how many fish/how much you want to feed within a day or 2. I use the mini blocks mostly. 

OK I'll have to pay more attention next time I'm out at the store. THanks!

• Like 2

@BayFish28; Baby Cories are really small also as are many other fish I've bred over the years. What I've found that works for all baby fish that don't require infusoria as a first food (Betta's Gourami's) is to put a lot of Nightcrawlers in a blender, an entire package of frozen Bloodworms, an entire package of frozen Brine shrimp, push the puree button, let it run for 5 minutes, and then I'll have food fine enough to feed to any baby fish. Of course, any of my baby fish will have a diet similar to what they would find in the wild. 

• Like 2

On 11/28/2021 at 9:16 AM, Gator said:

@BayFish28; Baby Cories are really small also as are many other fish I've bred over the years. What I've found that works for all baby fish that don't require infusoria as a first food (Betta's Gourami's) is to put a lot of Nightcrawlers in a blender, an entire package of frozen Bloodworms, an entire package of frozen Brine shrimp, push the puree button, let it run for 5 minutes, and then I'll have food fine enough to feed to any baby fish. Of course, any of my baby fish will have a diet similar to what they would find in the wild. 

Oh my cory's are adults as I don't breed them but I have a small tank so blending may be a bit too much but thanks for the advice! Maybe when I get a larger tank I'll definitely take this into account

On 11/28/2021 at 6:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

I use a cheese grater for frozen foods for my tiny ones so the get a variety. 

Actually that's an interesting idea. Maybe get like a small, fine grater. Thanks!

On 11/28/2021 at 2:22 PM, BayFish28 said:

Oh my cory's are adults as I don't breed them but I have a small tank so blending may be a bit too much but thanks for the advice! Maybe when I get a larger tank I'll definitely take this into account

Actually that's an interesting idea. Maybe get like a small, fine grater. Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

On 11/29/2021 at 3:56 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

If you have a LFS that has a good selection of frozen foods, you can get frozen baby brine, cyclops of daphnia. I love frozen daphnia for little fish, I feed a cube a couple times a week to my multi shell dweller tank, and i find fish of all sizes out munching it down.

I'll have to look into daphnia thanks!