THE GREAT CANISTER FILTER DEBATE!!!

Kittkat1981

I like the lava rock, and the under-gravel filter should make it work as a filter media. But you can see from the aquariumscience.org chart that lava rock, although it is as good or better than most expensive commercial filter media, is not the best. In my tank, the lava rock and under-gravel filter are supplements to my canister filters with 30 ppi foam, so it is all good.

Aquariumscience.org recommends a substrate with smaller particles than my lava rock because food tends to fall into the gaps in the substrate where the fish cannot get to it, increasing the bio-load.

Now I am setting up a new tank with a sump and I am using coarse - not fine or medium -  coal slag blasting media [Black Diamond] for a substrate. Even the most coarse blasting media has much smaller particles than my lava rock substrate. I expect to have 30 ppi foam and pot scrubbers in the sump. We will see how that works.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 11/23/2021 at 11:25 AM, HH Morant said:

I like the lava rock, and the under-gravel filter should make it work as a filter media. But you can see from the aquariumscience.org chart that lava rock, although it is as good or better than most expensive commercial filter media, is not the best. In my tank, the lava rock and under-gravel filter are supplements to my canister filters with 30 ppi foam, so it is all good.

Aquariumscience.org recommends a substrate with smaller particles than my lava rock because food tends to fall into the gaps in the substrate where the fish cannot get to it, increasing the bio-load.

Now I am setting up a new tank with a sump and I am using coarse - not fine or medium -  coal slag blasting media [Black Diamond] for a substrate. Even the most coarse blasting media has much smaller particles than my lava rock substrate. I expect to have 30 ppi foam and pot scrubbers in the sump. We will see how that works.

Reminds me of eco planted.   Had not thought of an under gravel system for the 75.  Hhhmmmmm

I had Eheim external canister filters before, a 2215 and another one which I don't recall. They were good and dependable filters BUT I hated that they wouldn't auto prime which means getting them pumping again was always a struggle for me and did include sucking tubes and inhaling tank water. Plus I found cleaning them always involves messing about with water everywhere around my tank. For now I am happy with HOB's and internals. I might give a try to an FX4 when I move up to a bigger tank but canisters are just more fickly than I like, even more compared to HOB or sponges.

On 11/23/2021 at 12:17 PM, Ruud said:

I had Eheim external canister filters before, a 2215 and another one which I don't recall. They were good and dependable filters BUT I hated that they wouldn't auto prime which means getting them pumping again was always a struggle for me and did include sucking tubes and inhaling tank water. Plus I found cleaning them always involves messing about with water everywhere around my tank. For now I am happy with HOB's and internals. I might give a try to an FX4 when I move up to a bigger tank but canisters are just more fickly than I like, even more compared to HOB or sponges.

I feel your pain on the priming. I have found that prefilled the canister works wonders with that.  I usually don't have to touch mine after I open the valves

I used to have an Aquatop CF500-UV that I bought from the Co-op for my 55g. It was a bit overkill because it was meant for greater things that never coalesced (128g custom acrylic amazon biotope). I never used the UV sterilizer function. Love aquatop canisters, never had an issue with it and it was quiet enough to be kept in the living room.

Eheim canisters are fantastic as well and I sold a great many fluvals at big box store. I would say the smaller the fluval canister, the less reliable it becomes. And having non standard hoses does not allow for customization, on the fluval. Which is a big con to me. The FX series was our best seller despite the price, because they are just incredible. Every negative I have had with Fluval can be forgiven for how well the FX series is designed.

Having all this been said, I made the switch to designing my own sump units and haven't looked back since. It takes a minute to get the water pressure situation and emergency checks in order, but once you do, smooth sailing from there on! Debate ended! 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, Streetwise said:

Which of these would be able to automatically prime with a half-filled 55 gallon turtle tank? It was too much air distance for my Eheim.

Oof.  Yeah. That might be a little much to pick up. Lol.  What kind of turtles?  Is the bio load heavy?  Are they ninja? And how much is your pizza bill each month?      But seriously about the bio load.  I'm looking to do a Paludarium 

On 11/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, Streetwise said:

Which of these would be able to automatically prime with a half-filled 55 gallon turtle tank? It was too much air distance for my Eheim.

Sorry I hit quote before I thought to just reference you. Tip/trick for half filled tanks with fluval canister filters I don’t know if it works with others After cleaning pour water through both lines (Aqua stop valve closed ) make sure intake is submerged place the outdpfliw in a dish of water. Meaning just hold the bowl of water so the outflow can suck up water from the bowl as well. Plug in filter open valve and begin priming. Involves 2 people unless you have long arms. 

I have fluval 07 series all the sizes. I love them though have nothing to compare them to. My wrist issues make shape size and weight essential.  I have not had a single problem with any of them (knock on wood). I am a sponge media girl. Like @Beardedbillygoat1975and  @HH Morant 30 ppi is where it’s at for me. I throw out all the included media except the sponge. I use coop prefilter and 1 layer of 20 ppi and the rest is 30 ppi. I gave the biorings they come with. 6 month go and was less than impressed. They quickly clog and become ineffective. I replaced with 30 ppi. I do have the inline UVC clarifying UV lights on some tanks. Not sure if they actually do anything but they were easy to install. I run them 24/7 but I can’t visually see any difference in the tanks that have them vs the ones that don’t though. My tanks have clear water either way. 

• Like 2

On 11/25/2021 at 6:55 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have fluval 07 series all the sizes. I love them though have nothing to compare them to. My wrist issues make shape size and weight essential.  I have not had a single problem with any of them (knock on wood). I am a sponge media girl. Like @Beardedbillygoat1975and  @HH Morant 30 ppi is where it’s at for me. I throw out all the included media except the sponge. I use coop prefilter and 1 layer of 20 ppi and the rest is 30 ppi. I gave the biorings they come with. 6 month go and was less than impressed. They quickly clog and become ineffective. I replaced with 30 ppi. I do have the inline UVC clarifying UV lights on some tanks. Not sure if they actually do anything but they were easy to install. I run them 24/7 but I can’t visually see any difference in the tanks that have them vs the ones that don’t though. My tanks have clear water either way. 

You've brought somthing else up. Uv sterilizer. I've never had a need for one.  No green water no mass bacteria or viral outbreak in my tanks. But. I've never done a 75.  I should mention. It will be close to a window. 

On 11/28/2021 at 6:13 AM, Flumpweesel said:

They are really nice looking filters perfect for the retro lab aesthetic.

Yeah.  Fzone is the "cheaper" brand but that word doesn't do much for them. Still expensive and it looks like the pump is external. Choose your own media.  While the asthetics are really cool and I love stainless I can get the eheim 2262 (or what ever number) for less and last plenty long enough, but If I had a rimless cube or a center of the room showcase tank, I would go for the stainless. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The friends I have in the hobby that have used Oase have indicated you have to switch out the prefilter sponges to a courser set right from the jump - interestingly this is an option you can buy easily online from oase. The biotherm version with the heater - it really only takes Oase heaters which I am not opposed to. Pondguru really likes them design wise, his videos have been fairly encouraging as they have brought out their line of canisters. 

• Like 1

The aquarium I inherited (I was thrown into the arena) came with a Aqua-Tech HOB which I replaced with a Marineland Magniflow 
My reasoning at the time was the availability, since many stores carried the brand. Then I read somewhere some brands were actually knockoffs of the Marineland brand. If that was the case - go with the original. 😉
I have no major complaints on the Marineland currently but I do want something better. I thought since the brand is readily available, parts would be too. Nope. It took me a long time for an impeller.

As I look to other brands there is something that prevents me from purchasing them. Sometimes, it's a hunch and not having complete trust. I do not want to purchase that kind of money for something I do not like or it turns out to be an inferior product.

Eheims: The new production line of Eheims - from what I gleamed - are going through a quality issue.

FX series: The hose system is a complaint and the canister really appears to be a pain to service.

Sicca Whale Canister: Motor issues but I like the trays.

Oase: Whew, their pricing is over the top but I really like the built in prefilter and heater. Some have issues with the prefilter causing air bubbles.

Sun Sun: Looked at them and can't remember anything about them. lol.

Right now, I am eyeing the Aquael Ultramax series. I like the prefilter and trays.

For me, I want the canister to be the bio load with minimum maintenance, which leads me to a prefilter. I do not mind cleaning a prefilter weekly, since I'm preforming water changes anyway or gravel vac.

I use to have either a coarse or medium sponge on the intake but changed to a Sera Prefix filter as the prefilter and the Marineland as the bio load. It is working to my satisfaction so far.

As with most brands there are pros/cons and meeting personal needs/wants. It is interesting seeing other peoples reasoning and experiences on brands. Thank you sharing those thoughts. 

As for me, the quest continues. Cheers!

On 12/7/2021 at 9:30 PM, Hoi Polloi said:

The aquarium I inherited (I was thrown into the arena) came with a Aqua-Tech HOB which I replaced with a Marineland Magniflow 
My reasoning at the time was the availability, since many stores carried the brand. Then I read somewhere some brands were actually knockoffs of the Marineland brand. If that was the case - go with the original. 😉
I have no major complaints on the Marineland currently but I do want something better. I thought since the brand is readily available, parts would be too. Nope. It took me a long time for an impeller.

As I look to other brands there is something that prevents me from purchasing them. Sometimes, it's a hunch and not having complete trust. I do not want to purchase that kind of money for something I do not like or it turns out to be an inferior product.

Eheims: The new production line of Eheims - from what I gleamed - are going through a quality issue.

FX series: The hose system is a complaint and the canister really appears to be a pain to service.

Sicca Whale Canister: Motor issues but I like the trays.

Oase: Whew, their pricing is over the top but I really like the built in prefilter and heater. Some have issues with the prefilter causing air bubbles.

Sun Sun: Looked at them and can't remember anything about them. lol.

Right now, I am eyeing the Aquael Ultramax series. I like the prefilter and trays.

For me, I want the canister to be the bio load with minimum maintenance, which leads me to a prefilter. I do not mind cleaning a prefilter weekly, since I'm preforming water changes anyway or gravel vac.

I use to have either a coarse or medium sponge on the intake but changed to a Sera Prefix filter as the prefilter and the Marineland as the bio load. It is working to my satisfaction so far.

As with most brands there are pros/cons and meeting personal needs/wants. It is interesting seeing other peoples reasoning and experiences on brands. Thank you sharing those thoughts. 

As for me, the quest continues. Cheers!

Very good post. My question is for the eheim.classic.  its pretty minimalistic, has great flow and you can load it with just about anything. So far for me, it is the clear winner.  I'm always open for input though

On 11/22/2021 at 10:24 PM, Colu said:

fluval 07 series I use a fluval 307 with UV steriliser on my 60 gallon

I love Fluval 07's as well-though I haven't ever tried any of the other cannister's. I recently went from 307 to 407-I think I read that the Fluval inline UV clarifier wouldn't work on the FX and I love my set up so I just stayed with the same series.

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 11:35 AM, kahjtheundedicated said:

Serious question: Why aren't sumps more popular? Seems like you can put together a diy sump with double redundancy for half the cost of a lot of the popular canister filters. Only downside I see is having to drill your tank for overflow

I think the idea of drilling glass is daunting to some people.  Mer personally I like sumps for really big tanks. 125gal or larger.   Its proven awesome though.  And super versatile. 

• Like 1