stocking help for 37gal

JacksonObergTV

On 11/13/2021 at 3:41 PM, JacksonObergTV said:

hello thanks for the feedback but two questions 

1 why?

2 last time i had snails they bred like crazy and blew up my entire tank  the big reason i have to redo everything.

1 because IMO mystery snails (most all snails) are a great addition and help a tank thrive.

2 there are many ways to control snail populations different breeds in different ways but most of them can be controlled by food amounts. Snails only breed to how much food is available to them.

On 11/13/2021 at 3:31 PM, JacksonObergTV said:

ok thank you i think i'm gonna do nerite snails because they can't lay any eggs in a freshwater aq once again thank you very much.

nerites are great choice if you want snails, as they wont reproduce. they just leave little hard white eggs all over.

Mystery snails won't either- if you don't let them (remove the eggs which are very easy to spot- I just removed some today). Though I love me a Mystery Snail for their beauty and personality- Nerites can't be beat for part of the clean up crew (and no reproduction) but as @lefty o says the girls will leave you little hard white eggs to clean up after. (I leave them as they don't bother me)

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

I definitely like the idea of amano shrimp + nerite snails for clean up. That being said, they won't add much to your bioload at all.

Here's a couple other options...

• Add 2-3 more corydoras of the same species you already have
  • Add 1 bristlenose pleco
  • Add a school of 8-10 green neons or 8-10 norman's lampeye killifish
  • Add  a shoal of 5-7 daisy's rice fish or black neon tetras
  • Add 3 male platys (complementary color to cherry barbs) *key point: same sex, so no babies

Maybe one of those would work with your stocking and care maintenance routine. Good luck!

Edited by PedroPete
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 4:31 PM, JacksonObergTV said:

because they can't lay any eggs

Hi. Yes they lay eggs everywhere no they do not hatch but are mega hard to get off everything. Mystery snails only lay above the water line in visible clutches as @xXInkedPhoenixX that wipe off and can be disposed of. But neither will populate your tank unless you do not remove th mystery snail clutches. Mystery snails are more fun to watch in my opinion. I love my nerite Nemo but he goes on alien abduction vacations for days at a time before he is visible again. Good luck looking forward to seeing where your tank ends up. 😁

On 11/13/2021 at 4:33 PM, Guppysnail said:

I love my nerite Nemo but he goes on alien abduction vacations for days at a time before he is visible again.

Zimbabwe (Tiger nerite) does that as well, but she does not try to escape like the mystery snails did. She does not allow algae to survive long in the tank either. I do miss the long flowy tentacles of the Mystery snails and their personality, but they proved to be more work than I expected just searching under furniture for their possible whereabouts.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 5:45 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Zimbabwe (Tiger nerite) does that as well, but she does not try to escape like the mystery snails did. She does not allow algae to survive long in the tank either. I do miss the long flowy tentacles of the Mystery snails and their personality, but they proved to be more work than I expected just searching under furniture for their possible whereabouts.

I had to put Houdini, the Zebra nerite I inherited, in a locking lid tank due to his propensity for walkabouts.

Watson, the other nerite (olive nerite I believe?) whom I inherited with Houdini, does not go on walkabout, but does lay eggs🤷‍♂️

Luckily, my wood is so soft in the 4' tank, I can just use my fingernail to lift the little white sesame seed looking eggs right off. I don't have mystery snails yet. I know my grandmother-in-law had a snail that grew to almost the size of her fist that lifted the glass lid and went on walkabout. The grandkids (primarily my spouse) were assigned snail search duty as kids.😅

• Haha 2