It Might be A NERM’s Day Off If…

Fish Folk

On 11/5/2021 at 7:30 AM, Atitagain said:

You are super excited to take time to build a lego fish tank.D0F524B8-32CF-439A-96D4-5377AB12FA1D.jpeg.4743a89cc60e64030b9116a0f3ca44f5.jpeg

My ex and I did a lego scape for cichlids back in the early 90's? Late 80's? Time is fleeting...

The cichlids had a blast in the lego caves, and we successfully community bred for 2 years before we left for Mexico. 

On 11/5/2021 at 7:38 AM, Manny said:

If the kitchen sink cannot be used because the python is being utilized all day. 

@Atitagain Hahahaha I just bought that for my eventual newborn, she should be arriving into the world any day now. 

Congratulations, @Manny!

Nothing like the joy, and the anxiety of waiting. May the birth be easy, may mom and baby be healthy, and may your family receive all the support y'all need!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 11/6/2021 at 2:43 AM, Torrey said:

My ex and I did a lego scape for cichlids back in the early 90's? Late 80's? Time is fleeting...

The cichlids had a blast in the lego caves, and we successfully community bred for 2 years before we left for Mexico

This sounds like you made a lego scape for real cichlids??? If so you have to have pics???

On 11/6/2021 at 2:09 AM, Manny said:

@Torrey Thank you very much for the kind words, It means a lot to us. I just showed my wife what you wrote and she started crying. We appreciate you! Thank you, thank you, thank you 

My IRL work for 30 years was birth work.

Covid induced stroke in February ended birth work, directly.

I still teach childbirth and best infant nutrition classes, and support trauma clients in healing generational trauma so they can parent differently than they were parented.

Birthing is supposed to be a joyous (and actually enjoyable) experience. Sadly, most birthing parents don't get the support they need, and I hope to train a new wave of birthworkers so we can change that.

Reach out if there is anything I can do to support y'all, being a NERM is an extended family, ya know?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 11/6/2021 at 4:29 AM, Atitagain said:

This sounds like you made a lego scape for real cichlids??? If so you have to have pics???

We lost everything in the housefire in 2017.

I don't even have pics of my kids...

Yes, we glued real legos together to make planters and caves for a real cichlid tank. It was a lot of fun!

A lego built "skull of Grayskull" was a cave that a pair of firemouths bred in reliably for 2 years. A spider plant grew out of the top, because legos like to float🤪 and we weren't bright enough to think about connecting to slate.

Using UGF exclusively at the time, resorted to silicone attachment of legos to UGF, and then added gravel to hold down both.

Definitely provided plenty of line of site breaks that were *solid*

Now that I know more about aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, the UGF probably prevented problems, by ensuring good water flow through the gravel, even in caves.

Cichlid tanks always had 2 power heads, plus two air uplift tubes.

They are a lot of fun to build, next time I would drill holes through the legos so they weren't plastic air bubbles 🤷‍♂️

That might even negate the need for gluing together, and prevent floating. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, Torrey said:

We lost everything in the housefire in 2017.

I don't even have pics of my kids...

Yes, we glued real legos together to make planters and caves for a real cichlid tank. It was a lot of fun!

A lego built "skull of Grayskull" was a cave that a pair of firemouths bred in reliably for 2 years. A spider plant grew out of the top, because legos like to float🤪 and we weren't bright enough to think about connecting to slate.

Using UGF exclusively at the time, resorted to silicone attachment of legos to UGF, and then added gravel to hold down both.

Definitely provided plenty of line of site breaks that were *solid*

Now that I know more about aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, the UGF probably prevented problems, by ensuring good water flow through the gravel, even in caves.

Cichlid tanks always had 2 power heads, plus two air uplift tubes.

They are a lot of fun to build, next time I would drill holes through the legos so they weren't plastic air bubbles 🤷‍♂️

That might even negate the need for gluing together, and prevent floating. 

I just posted a question about Legos then I saw this. So there weren’t any issues with the edges (of the Legos)?

On 11/29/2021 at 8:19 PM, Chuck13 said:

I just posted a question about Legos then I saw this. So there weren’t any issues with the edges (of the Legos)?

I don't remember if we filled every single lego in the tank with silicone or not (which would have softened the edges, I think.

We definitely did not have any fish injuries, not even the time the lego caves separated and floated up.

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 8:12 AM, Fish Folk said:

“…you invite over the Paparazzi to light up your dry foods runway.”

I love it!  Just curious, why do you have that black mat under your light?  Is that shelf liner?  

On 11/5/2021 at 9:21 AM, Monocentropus Balfouri said:

my anxiety is at an all time high

Congratulations! You can do this!!!!

On 12/1/2021 at 3:17 AM, Torrey said:

I don't remember if we filled every single lego in the tank with silicone or not (which would have softened the edges, I think.

We definitely did not have any fish injuries, not even the time the lego caves separated and floated up.

Nice. I think I’ll get it a go. If it’s not a total disaster I post a pic. Thanks

• Like 2

On 12/1/2021 at 10:53 AM, Chuck13 said:

Nice. I think I’ll get it a go. If it’s not a total disaster I post a pic. Thanks

Make sure you work carefully to get rid of air bubbles. Build your construction entirely under water on a Lego plate, and bury that low under substrate and rocks. I’d move any fish out while you build.

• Thanks 1