What to feed Green Neon Tetras?

robotjoe

Hello, I'm relatively new to fishkeeping and just got a small school of Green Neon Tetras. I purchased these at the Aquarium Co-op store in Edmonds along with the Xtreme Nano (0.5mm pellets) to feed the fish. However when I put the food into the tank, the tetras go to try to eat the pellets, but can't fit it into their mouths. So it just bounces away and lands on the bottom of the tank.

Is there a smaller food I should be trying to feed the tetras? 

Thanks,

Joe

You could try flake food, crush it up. They'll get it as it slowly sinks. If they are barely past the fry stage, you could try co-ops easy fry. I use that for my chili rasboras off and on since they are so small. Make sure to remove any uneaten pellets on bottom of tank.

Finely crumbled flake works well.  Mine also like crumbled, freeze dried Daphnia.  Depending on how young yours are, they might also be able to eat live whiteworms or blackworms.  Everything older than a few months could eat Grindal worms.  And even my adults will eat microworms.

They will also eat frozen Daphnia, live Daphnia, live baby brine shrimp, frozen baby brine shrimp, or preserved baby brine shrimp.  I’ve never tried mine on mosquito larva.

• Like 1

Mine eat just about anything that’ll fit in their mouths. Probably the easiest is crumbled flake food. The Xtream Krill flake is my new favorite, but old school Tetra color is good to. 
Do you have a clean up crew? Some  Corydoras catfish will help eat the food that sinks to the bottom, and they’re fun to watch. 

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try finely crushing up some flake food for now and see how that goes. I hope the littler tetras are able to eat. I'm not sure if they're full grown yet, some definitely seem smaller than others. 

Also no cleanup crew yet, planning to get some Pygmy corys this weekend if a shipment comes into the store. Until then I guess it'll be a daily effort to clean all the left over food. 

Edited by robotjoe