Professional aquascspers

Jeff

I'm curious if anyone happens to know: 

why do "professional" aquascspers always use a canister filter on their tanks?

I just watched a Green Aqua video where they scaped a new 18 gallon tank, and they used a canister to filter it. 

I NEVER see them use a sump or hob filter. EVER.

Anyone know why? Is it because they might be sponsored by Oase? Even if this is the case, Oase makes a hob canister..

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 7:26 PM, Streetwise said:

Some tanks are setup for photos. I like to setup for stability.

I get it. But, I don't buy this logic (nothing against you - more for the 'scapers). A hob has the something hanging off the back or side of a tank as well.

A canister has a an intake AND a return. A hob only has one tube. THIS is what I don't get....

Edited by Jeff

This is a reason to be wary of "big names" on YT. Having said that, I only have nano tanks (my largest is less than 13 gal.) and all of them have a canister filter. The tanks are small and I do not have space inside of them for filters, nor do I have space behind the tanks to put HOBs. Sumps would be too much of a hassle and risk. Canisters are easy, quiet, and efficient.

Now, I did not get paid to say that, and I do not have a canister cleaning person either... 

You have to set up what works for you.

• Like 6

I suspect it's all about appearance. Glass lily pipes, hidden as best they can, going into a canister that is probably full of fine filter floss for water polishing. They are doing something different than we are (well I am), they are creating artwork for the short term. Most of us are creating an environment where plants and fish can live well for a long time.

• Like 4

On 10/8/2021 at 6:54 PM, eatyourpeas said:

This is a reason to be wary of "big names" on YT. Having said that, I only have nano tanks (my largest is less than 13 gal.) and all of them have a canister filter. The tanks are small and I do not have space inside of them for filters, nor do I have space behind the tanks to put HOBs. Sumps would be too much of a hassle and risk. Canisters are easy, quiet, and efficient.

Now, I did not get paid to say that, and I do not have a canister cleaning person either... 

You have to set up what works for you.

I would be very interested in knowing about these small canisters you use. I use HOBs for water movement, additional mechanical when needed and the ability to add chemical filtration if needed. I own more HOBs than tanks though, they tend to irritate me to the point they get cleaned up and placed on a shelf. Then a new one with more or less the same results. Maybe a new thread? Please? 

Edited by Ken
can't spell

I don't think I've ever seen HOB for sale in a fish store, they aren't common in the UK which suggests not that common in Europe ( I don't go fish shopping on holiday so I am guessing here). Aquascapers probably don't want much by the way of ripples which is the easiest to reduce with a canister. 

On 10/8/2021 at 8:43 PM, Ken said:

I would be very interested in knowing about these small canisters you use. I use HOBs for water movement, additional mechanical when needed and the ability to add chemical filtration if needed. I own more HOBs than tanks though, they tend to irritate me to the point they get cleaned up and placed on a shelf. Then a new one with more or less the same results. Maybe a new thread? Please? 

Sure. None of my canisters use floss or carbon, just ceramic media and sponges. They get cleaned once every three or so months, but the coarse sponge on the intake gets cleaned weekly with each water change.

12.7 gal. and 9 gal.: Shiruba X-305

7 gal. and 6 gal.: Shiruba X-303

3 gal.: ZooMed Nano 10

6 gal. QT: trying this one with only sponges. 30ppm in all chambers. I have only had it for a few weeks.

I have not needed chemical filtration, but if I did, one of the chambers could easily be fitted with either carbon or Poly-Fill.

I like the fact that they are all quiet, I don't see them, and can adjust the output flow and level in the tank to accommodate the critters preferences/needs. Cleaning is made even easier with quick release valves in all lines.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/8/2021 at 5:18 PM, Jeff said:

I'm curious if anyone happens to know: 

why do "professional" aquascspers always use a canister filter on their tanks?

I just watched a Green Aqua video where they scaped a new 18 gallon tank, and they used a canister to filter it. 

I NEVER see them use a sump or hob filter. EVER.

Anyone know why? Is it because they might be sponsored by Oase? Even if this is the case, Oase makes a hob canister..

For aquascapes, especially scapes that will be photographed and sent to shows for competition, you need something that will clean water to crystal clear photographic parameters, very quickly. 

Part of a good, professional, show quality photograph is fish who have been well-fed in the past 30 minutes while having zero food residue in the tank.

The professional style photographs don't show any of the filtration, and taking an HOB off the tank is going to leave some floating sediment in the tank.

Gently lifting the pipes for a canister filter, does not. 

• Like 1