What's your favorite danio

Solstice_Lacer

I want CPD, but have had zero luck....

I had one order fall victim to last year's shipping interruptions, I had a 2nd order get left behind when it got to the hub it didn't make it on the truck😔, and the 3rd time the box got caught in the Bermuda Triangle of Branson🤷‍♂️

Currently, I breed zebra danios, and have a female who carries the fainting gene so that has been an interesting project. 

If there was a research University nearby, I could really profit off the zebras, as they share a large genetic foot print with humans and they are currently researching how fight/flee/faint/fawn reactions affect the likelihood of developing PTSD.

The fish store doesn't want the fainters for obvious reasons 🤣🤣🤣

Nothing like catching fish and they go belly up in the bag before you even tie it🙄

New fish owners are not going to be amused to find out their fish play possum😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/1/2021 at 7:53 AM, Solstice_Lacer said:

Celestial pearl danios are all the rage, and zebra danios are a staple in the hobby. What lesser known danios should be more popular? I've been looking into gold ring danios lately (danio tinwini).

I have Gold Ring Danios. The LFS brought them in at my request. They are very active but not skittish, quite pretty, school nicely and no heater required. The internet says they need soft water but mine are doing fine in my liquid rock.

• Love 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:53 AM, Solstice_Lacer said:

I've been looking into gold ring danios lately (danio tinwini).

Funny, I just ran across them in a book today and looked them up--they are beautiful.

When I was fish shopping for my guppy/platy tank a LFS I visited had some danios labeled as leopard danios that I fell in love with. I've not seen any the same color as the ones they had since then--rather than looking like a gold fish with dark spots, they looked more like a dark fish with lacy yellow rings--the spots were larger, I guess. I haven't been back to that LFS because it was horrid, but I've looked at all the leopard danios at the stores I do visit and they are never primarily dark like the ones I saw at the first shop.

I hope to have a tank with them one day. 

On 10/3/2021 at 8:29 PM, PineSong said:

Funny, I just ran across them in a book today and looked them up--they are beautiful.

When I was fish shopping for my guppy/platy tank a LFS I visited had some danios labeled as leopard danios that I fell in love with. I've not seen any the same color as the ones they had since then--rather than looking like a gold fish with dark spots, they looked more like a dark fish with lacy yellow rings--the spots were larger, I guess. I haven't been back to that LFS because it was horrid, but I've looked at all the leopard danios at the stores I do visit and they are never primarily dark like the ones I saw at the first shop.

I hope to have a tank with them one day. 

I’d bet those “leopard” danios were gold ring danios.  They have a lace over dark appearance (or large spots over gold).  Leopard danios have smaller and more random spots and generally are a paler fish overall.  I have no actual experience keeping the gold ring danios but have checked into them and compared while in a fish store and in pictures.  I have kept leopard danios in the past.

On 10/3/2021 at 9:39 PM, Odd Duck said:

I’d bet those “leopard” danios were gold ring danios.  They have a lace over dark appearance (or large spots over gold).  

That's what I thought when I looked up the gold rings after reading about them today. I loved that they looked natural, but also kind of dramatic. Right now my community tank is kind of cartoon-colors, lots of blue fish and orange fish, and I love them, but one day I'd like to have my 20g long with those danios looking like little trouts in a river...

• Like 1