Outsmarted by a fish?

Atitagain

86E1C417-9DB1-4E31-9686-E0C0513A1E43.jpeg.8f05af39c6fad02202f9c09518eaee8b.jpeg

This is a 75G tank you can see the single Oscar bottom center. He is approximately 6-7” now and he is getting smarter by the day! There is a pictus catfish that lives in the tunnel under the wood on the left have two bristlenose in tank as well. At first I could drop food on the right Oscar would start eating then I would drop food on left catfish would easily have time to get a few pieces, all good. Then had to start feeding in center and flow to the right so Oscar would follow trail of food then jump back and feed cat. All good? Then very purposefully kept him all the way right with big feeding jump back left and most days enough got down for cat. Not really all good? Now he acts like (YES ACTS LIKE!!) he is interested in the middle sweeping right or right end feeding, waits for me to drop on left then attacks food as fast as possible gobbles up every pellet, wafer, not even a chance for frozen to get through on left then takes his time wagging his tail at me like he’s struting and pecks every piece from the right!!!

good news he’s going through a growth spurt. I think my next move will be finding a repashy the cat likes put a chunk on a stick and target feed.

any suggestions? Any non Oscar related target feedings you have to do?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/1/2021 at 7:19 AM, Atitagain said:

Yes I know, I juke left I juke right, he just laughs. I feel like I need to seek up ninja style. 🥷 

😂🤣😂 Sound to me like your fish is a better Basketball player than you are......All that Juking and he still beat you!🤣

Don't feel bad....every time I think I have my guys beaten they slap me back into place.  What really kills me is when I'm sitting their licking my wounds....it occurs to me I was just outsmarted by something that has the brain the size of a BB🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had to Pacu that made a tank divider for so the other fish did not get eaten. They aren’t really aggressive but when feeding that would sometimes get something that wasn’t on the menu. They are one fish I hat to see at box stores and LFS. I learned my lesson in my teens and an aquarium took them and they now/ used to swim with the manatees. 

• Like 2

Oh man, my Amano shrimp outsmart me and their tank mates every night at feeding time...They have a habit of grabbing my bottom feeder wafers/pellets and some of the frozen tubifex worms. One of my poor corydoras will swim over to start munching on their carnivore pellet or bottom feeder wafer and BAM! There's Big Mama (My massively huge female Amano who runs the boistrous gang) snatching up that wafer from the little much larger guy in 5 seconds flat. They see me come over to the tank to feed in the evening and act like they're voraciously foraging on the algae on the driftwood or Vals, lulling me into a false sense of security to drop the other fish their food...I've even seen one grab a pleco wafer and literally yank it to the side out of a corydora's reach. Mind you, they are not hurting for food. They have lots of algae I allow to grow on some of the plants, driftwood and rocks, along with supplying them with alder cones to grow biofilm and IALs they destroy as they decompose. They're not starving, they're just gluttons. They also take advantage of Cuzco cruising around the tank and use him as a bus. Little stinkers those ones are...Smart little stinkers, but stinkers none the less. 

1291173855_shrimpbus.jpg.8ff770725202f8b5d87bd5774d3eb08f.jpg

• Haha 2

On 10/1/2021 at 4:22 PM, Atitagain said:

What a way to describe your shrimp colony. That yellow bus is great!

Lemme' tell ya', when Big Mama has molted and released pheromones, my tank turns into a hot mess. Those little shrimp dart here, there and everywhere in a frenzy from it and I cannot help but sit and laugh my butt off. When I got them, they were teeny tiny little things that were hard to sex, so I unknowingly ended up with 1 female and 4 males. Boisterous is the best way I can think to describe this little gang! Or entertaining! I had extremely lucky timing to have my phone nearby when I noticed them riding Cuzco! Of course, they pay their bus fare by cleaning his shell for him. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

My goldfish would splash you if they felt ignored. They would also do this this to cats that spent to long near the tank.

The aquarium was lidded and their aim was good. They also threw stones at the side of the tank to get attention.

There are chairs either side of the aquarium and they generally aimed at me no matter were I sat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/2/2021 at 2:54 PM, Flumpweesel said:

My goldfish would splash you if they felt ignored. They would also do this this to cats that spent to long near the tank.

The aquarium was lidded and their aim was good. They also threw stones at the side of the tank to get attention.

There are chairs either side of the aquarium and they generally aimed at me no matter were I sat.

That’s funny, be sitting there taking a nap. 💦 💦 

On 10/2/2021 at 1:54 PM, Flumpweesel said:

Hello!?!  Food slave!  Yeah, I’m talkin’ ta you!  FOOD SLAVE!  Pay attention!  PAY ATTENTION!!!  Can you not see me?  Can you not hear me?  Hellooooo!?!?!?!  I know you can see me over here, you’re looking right at me!

Bring the food!  NOW!!!  🦈🐟🦈

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Haha 4

On 10/2/2021 at 2:08 PM, Odd Duck said:

Hello!?!  Food slave!  Yeah, I’m talkin’ ta you!  FOOD SLAVE!  Pay attention!  PAY ATTENTION!!!  Can you not see me?  Can you not hear me?  Hellooooo!?!?!?!  I know you can see me over here, you’re looking right at me!

Bring the food!  NOW!!!  🦈🐟🦈

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ORD

This really makes me nostalgic for my first fish love, which was also a tiger oscar with the same "who, me?" expression much of the time. He sometimes made feeding the pleco and the silver dollars a challenge!

But don't feel bad - I knew someone that had trained their oscar to pull a string attached to a bell above the tank when he wanted a treat. It wasn't long before they had to disable the bell because that boy was ringing it ALL NIGHT 😄

They are, to me at least, one of the most personable fish in the hobby.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:40 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

This really makes me nostalgic for my first fish love, which was also a tiger oscar with the same "who, me?" expression much of the time. He sometimes made feeding the pleco and the silver dollars a challenge!

But don't feel bad - I knew someone that had trained their oscar to pull a string attached to a bell above the tank when he wanted a treat. It wasn't long before they had to disable the bell because that boy was ringing it ALL NIGHT 😄

They are, to me at least, one of the most personable fish in the hobby.

That’s great, I could imagine that bell 🛎 wouldn’t last the training period with my wife.

• Haha 1