Pea puffers eating Repashy??

JoshStover

On 10/2/2021 at 10:01 AM, ARMYVET said:

Does anybody know if a Pea Puffer will eat Hydra? 

I have not heard that they would.

I tried tricking mine by giving a live blood worm, followed by a frozen one, and again, the eyes! "but it's dead!" - Luckily they have accepted live blackworms and one of my LFS gets them sometimes, so I am trying to culture them.

On the "like" menu:

- snails of any kind

- scuds

- bloodworms

- blackworms

- mosquito larva

- roommates

On 10/2/2021 at 10:31 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

I have done that with other puffers. I used feed store oystershell, intended for chickens, for beak wear. I'd try crushing snails and mixing them into repashy as a similar option. My bet would be they get attracted to the repashy with the snail smell and then decide repashy is excellent by itself 

I thought pea puffers do not have a sense of smell... trying to remember where I got that from.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

I haven't had luck getting my pea puffers to take repashy - my pea puffers have always been far pickier than any other species I've kept, freshwater, brackish, or marine. I guess they probably have a more specialized diet in the wild, due to their size - but that's just a guess.

I've feed my Green Spotted Puffers, Figure 8's, Amazons, Tobies, Dogfaces, and Porcs Repashy before, just for a change in diet. They all took it, although they didn't really hunt it like they do other foods. They'd take a bite or two, swallow, and move on.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:32 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I have not heard that they would.

I tried tricking mine by giving a live blood worm, followed by a frozen one, and again, the eyes! "but it's dead!" - Luckily they have accepted live blackworms and one of my LFS gets them sometime, so I am trying to culture them.

On the "like" menu:

- snails of any kind

- scuds

- bloodworms

- blackworms

- mosquito larva

- roommates

I thought pea puffers do not have a sense of smell... trying to remember where I got that from.

I am looking into getting a small fridge for the fish room so I can try black worms. 

I asked Upper Management about me keeping worms in the fridge....thats where she drew the proverbial line...LOL 

Told me it was her or the worms....I asked of she would be moving close by....she didnt find it funny for some odd reason🤷‍♂️

• Haha 4

On 10/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, ARMYVET said:

I am looking into getting a small fridge for the fish room so I can try black worms. 

I keep mine in a plastic container at room temperature sitting above the QT tank, and only an airstone. I change the water every two days and feed them flake fish food. I cut them up a bit with a pipette to increase the population.

I just have to tell my partner in crime it is fish food or he'll use it as a condiment when making dinner! 😝

Just remembered you are in FL, so that may not work for you...

Edited by eatyourpeas
Added comment
  • Haha 2

Yeah My fish room air temp is at 80 deg so all of the tanks water stays rock solid at 80 deg. No heaters needed but sure do need some A/C ...lol

So they wont even eat frozen Blood worms....that really sucks...LOL I was going to pick some up and give it a try....couldnt hurt its not like I dont have 20 other tanks to feed it to if they dont eat it.

On 10/2/2021 at 2:12 PM, SWilson said:

So I clearly haven't had enough coffee yet today because for a half a second I was like, "oh my god your pea puffer ate your roommates? how terrible!"  😂

WOW...yep need more coffee...in fact pour me some while your at it please!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:01 PM, ARMYVET said:

Does anybody know if a Pea Puffer will eat Hydra? 

They didn’t in my tank that I saw, but the hydra never did much in there, either.  I suspect because pea puffers ate all the same things the hydra would.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 2:38 PM, Odd Duck said:

They didn’t in my tank that I saw, but the hydra never did much in there, either.  I suspect because pea puffers ate all the same things the hydra would.

Just curious because every tank I feed BBS eventually gets hydra.  My swordtails do not eat it.  Some of my guppies do I have see it.  

The little guys are stupid cute and just dont want anything to happen to them.  

On 10/2/2021 at 12:32 PM, eatyourpeas said:

roommates

You got that right!  Murder beans!

They do also really like white worms which I don’t mind, unlike the roommate incidents.

Mine could absolutely NOT care less about wingless fruit flies whether they were on the surface, in the water and sinking, rolling off plants on the way down, or all the way down on the bottom.  Most barely even bothered to watch them for more than a few seconds.  Nobody else in the house was interested in them, either, so fruit fly cultures are gone.  🤷🏻‍♀️

My Grindal worms cultures aren’t doing well enough yet to feed anything from them. I’m waiting not so patiently on Grindal worms to take off since they’re supposed to be my step between microworms and whiteworms.  Hatching baby brine is a PITA!

On 10/2/2021 at 1:51 PM, ARMYVET said:

Just curious because every tank I feed BBS eventually gets hydra.  My swordtails do not eat it.  Some of my guppies do I have see it.  

The little guys are stupid cute and just dont want anything to happen to them.  

They appear to come fairly well equipped for escape unless you have giant hydra.  All I’ve ever gotten was the tiny white ones.  The biggest I’ve seen was only 1/4” tall and those were living in my rather short lived Daphnia culture.  I’m pretty sure they came in the “free infusoria food” that was sent with the Daphnia.  Tiny buggers had pink little bellies from eating the Daphnia the “infusoria” was supposed to feed.  That was a fail.

The hydra have popped back up here and there, but never really took off.

On 10/2/2021 at 12:34 PM, ARMYVET said:

ROOMATES....THATS JUST WRONG....🤣

But true!  I can testify.

On 10/2/2021 at 1:11 PM, ARMYVET said:

Yeah My fish room air temp is at 80 deg so all of the tanks water stays rock solid at 80 deg. No heaters needed but sure do need some A/C ...lol

So they wont even eat frozen Blood worms....that really sucks...LOL I was going to pick some up and give it a try....couldnt hurt its not like I dont have 20 other tanks to feed it to if they dont eat it.

Some will eat frozen bloodworms.  Mine are inconsistent.  A few will eat a couple, but they’re really waiting for the wiggly stuff.

They also like Daphnia, but I’ve failed x 3 on keeping the Daphnia going.  Probably for the same reason I fail at infusoria and green water in general.  I do have a 5 gallon that just went green in the last 48 hours.  No idea how I did it, likely just some overfeeding, but I’ve been overfeeding to build up scuds in there for weeks.  Why now?  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

On 10/2/2021 at 2:53 PM, Odd Duck said:

Hatching baby brine is a PITA!

No its not I swear....at least not for me.   The only problem I seem to have with it is that after harvesting I clean everything and go thru setting it up again with water and salt and forgetting to put the eggs in.🤣 

Done that I dont know how many time🤦‍♂️

On 10/2/2021 at 2:14 PM, ARMYVET said:

No its not I swear....at least not for me.   The only problem I seem to have with it is that after harvesting I clean everything and go thru setting it up again with water and salt and forgetting to put the eggs in.🤣 

Done that I dont know how many time🤦‍♂️

But the salt spatters everywhere, I don’t have a good spot, you have to reset soooooo often, and my schedule is wack.  I work very long shifts but fewer of them, and when I do my every other Wednesday overnight I’m wrecked for a couple days afterwards because I’m OLD!  😆 😂 🤣 

On 10/2/2021 at 7:32 AM, Odd Duck said:

@JoshStover Your mission, 008, should you choose to accept it, is to make your way to your local lfs today.  Your contact will be whomever is in charge or whomever may have been there the last time you were there.  This contact should have information about the mysterious pea puffer breeder that has convinced their very particular, carnivorous puffers to eat Repashy.  Your mission must include finding out the details of exactly what type of Repashy these mystery puffers are eating and any preparation details you can determine.  This question is of vital international puffer security, health, safety, and the sanity of pea puffer owners worldwide.

On 10/2/2021 at 7:36 AM, JoshStover said:

I accept this mission. I plan to arrive around 12:00 EST and I’ll report back ASAP 

ORD, but this thread gave me LIFE today 

🤣🤣🤣🐡🤣🤣🤣

On 10/2/2021 at 4:03 PM, Odd Duck said:

But the salt spatters everywhere, I don’t have a good spot, you have to reset soooooo often, and my schedule is wack.  I work very long shifts but fewer of them, and when I do my every other Wednesday overnight I’m wrecked for a couple days afterwards because I’m OLD!  😆 😂 🤣 

Excuses excuses....your not older than I am.  Salt doesnt splatter anywhere for me so if it is your doing something strange. you need all of 10 square inches to set up a hatchery.....hell @Fish Folk has one of the most basic setups there is for next to no cost and even he will tell you how great it is to have fresh live food.  and every other Wednesday when you come home wrecked...you just dont make any then and recover....then get back to it...LOL

On 10/2/2021 at 4:19 PM, ARMYVET said:

Excuses excuses....your not older than I am.  Salt doesnt splatter anywhere for me so if it is your doing something strange. you need all of 10 square inches to set up a hatchery.....hell @Fish Folk has one of the most basic setups there is for next to no cost and even he will tell you how great it is to have fresh live food.  and every other Wednesday when you come home wrecked...you just dont make any then and recover....then get back to it...LOL

Shall we compare drivers licenses?  😂  Testing, I was born the year Bob Seger sings about.

Well, I’ve never bought an actual purpose built hatchery, only used homemade stuff (have I mentioned I’m cheap?).  Maybe that’s the issue.  😆 

I’d rather have a worm culture growing and ready to produce instantly (stupid Grindal worm seller that shipped me crap!).  I have decapsulated nauplii now and jarred “instant” on the way, but hatching?  Uuuuggghhhh.  🙄  Can you see the hardcore, teenager style, eye roll from there?  Another airline, a little light for heat, I already have a Grindal worm culture on that shelf 🙄🙄🙄, wah, wah, wah!  🤣 

On 10/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, ARMYVET said:

@Odd Duck You got this....I believe in you!  😁

Not really but it sounded good😒

ORD!  AGAIN!  FOREVER!  😆 😂 🤣 

On 10/2/2021 at 4:28 PM, CT_ said:

I think I've heard of people putting repashy in a garlic press to make it worm like.  maybe that works?

I somehow ended up with a couple garlic presses (had one, got a gift).  I think I could try some Repashy in one and see what happens with the big guys.  Worth one try at least.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:34 PM, Odd Duck said:

Shall we compare drivers licenses?  😂  Testing, I was born the year Bob Seger sings about.

Well, I’ve never bought an actual purpose built hatchery, only used homemade stuff (have I mentioned I’m cheap?).  Maybe that’s the issue.  😆 

I’d rather have a worm culture growing and ready to produce instantly (stupid Grindal worm seller that shipped me crap!).  I have decapsulated nauplii now and jarred “instant” on the way, but hatching?  Uuuuggghhhh.  🙄  Can you see the hardcore, teenager style, eye roll from there?  Another airline, a little light for heat, I already have a Grindal worm culture on that shelf 🙄🙄🙄, wah, wah, wah!  🤣 

Quoting Searer ehhh....yeah I know that song.  

Back in the day I used a home made hatcher for brine shrimp and I did Ok with it.  My original try was sea monkeys....yes I had those I got for Christmas one year right next to the wooden car kit.

Yeah I know that eye roll ...my Daughters have down to an artform. Im sure the grandchild I have on the way that I just found out about will do it even better!

I have never done grindle worms or white worms or vinegar eels....although I am thinking I need to give them a try.  I dont think you have to refrigerate the white worms.  

Oh yeah and I use walked to and from school....in the winter...with no coat....or shoes......up hill  .....BOTH WAYS !!🤪

On 10/2/2021 at 3:45 PM, ARMYVET said:

Quoting Searer ehhh....yeah I know that song.  

Back in the day I used a home made hatcher for brine shrimp and I did Ok with it.  My original try was sea monkeys....yes I had those I got for Christmas one year right next to the wooden car kit.

Yeah I know that eye roll ...my Daughters have down to an artform. Im sure the grandchild I have on the way that I just found out about will do it even better!

I have never done grindle worms or white worms or vinegar eels....although I am thinking I need to give them a try.  I dont think you have to refrigerate the white worms.  

Oh yeah and I use walked to and from school....in the winter...with no coat....or shoes......up hill  .....BOTH WAYS !!🤪

I think I might be older than both of you, unless y'all are older than @Dean’s Fishroom🤔

I'm enjoying the grandboos getting into fishkeeping.

Pretty sure when they start talking more, their mom will convince them that I am older than the dinosaurs like she did with her siblings. 🤣

On 10/2/2021 at 4:45 PM, ARMYVET said:

Same!  No gloves or mittens, and no scarf either, those were for the rich kids.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:53 PM, Torrey said:

I think I might be older than both of you, unless y'all are older than @Dean’s Fishroom🤔

I don’t know how old he is, but I’m betting I’m not far behind him.

• Haha 1