Help!

Jorge54

Hello, 

For  Several weeks I been dealing with my tank water becoming super green. I've done a few water changes and just gets green after 2 to 3 days. I turn the lights off and it clears after a week but comes back when light are on. My plants are also dissolving. I use the iron, algae,easy green and flourish potassium.

20210909_110537.jpg

20210905_145511.jpg

20210905_145247.jpg

I’m not a balanced tank expert some will chime in. I can tell you a Quick fix but it will not solve why it repeatedly happens. Quick fix vacuum substrate thoroughly and large water change. Get a cheap internal or hang on back clip on uv light for the quick visual fix. When the experts chime in I would definitely listen to there long term actual solutions. Best of luck 😁

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 11:24 AM, Griznatch said:

Need a bit more info, size of tank, location (is it by a window), what kind of light are you using, and how long is it on?

Not that this helps you but..  wow, I wish I could get that green water 🙂

60 gallon tank. I use the Fluval Fresh and Plant 3.0 LED Light. It is on plant setting and goes about 9 pm.

16312016481699157201778472908677.jpg

It defentley looks like its the windows fault. Perhpas try to add a curtain, or with black paper you can block the sides of the aquarium that are getting the most sunlight.

I found that when battling green water the best way to fix was to block out all light till the green water was gone. I simply turned the aquarium light off, and covered the aquarium with a towel. Leaving 0 light in the aquarium. After 5 days nearly all green water was gone. And by the 7th day the towel was taking off.

If you dont solve your sunlight issue you will see green water again. 

• Like 1

If you can’t control the outside light you will have control your light. If you can just turn the light off or covering part of it. I would also try adding topwater plants like everyone’s favorite duckweed. It goes crazy, blocks light and sucks up lots of nutrients. I use duckweed in outside ponds. I have a 20 gal that is centered in front of the window and I use frogbit in it and keep the water dark with tannis. Plant choice helps as well. If I have a hi light spot I like to use fast  growing plants and moss. Also if you can’t control the light as much as you like, I agree a UV HOB will also help but isn’t the sole cure.

here is mine. The water is a dark tea color even though it does kind of look green the pictures. A few swords, pennywort, frogbit and moss. I have a new moss in there and I’m not crazy about it. I have a hygger light on it but it rarely comes on. Sorry about the mess I am working on a few things. 

515C6C78-F0FF-42C0-B6D2-307B99615669.jpeg

• Like 1