Ultraviolet Inline Clarifier?

Phred

13 minutes ago, Jeremy B said:

So can you find me an article with sources that states the opposite? A legit paper not an aquarium blog.

Like I said earlier I didn’t find anything that could refute the claims made about the effectiveness of UV sterilization in aquariums. The advances in technology available to this hobby now are light years ahead of what was available when this study was conducted. Believe me I know I was keeping fish then. 

13 minutes ago, Jeremy B said:

http://aquaticcommons.org/16352/1/BJFR1.1_001.pdf

Page 6 has a graph demonstrating the UV setup did not eliminate all, with a further reduction of using chlorine and UV. unfortunately the paper is more about usage of chlorine and uv combined but even still there wasn't a full reduction of bacteria

http://www.animalplanet.com/search/algae/

The UV sterilizer utilizes a germicidal fluorescent lamp that produces light at a wavelength of approximately 254 nanometers (2537 Angstroms). The water with the bacteria/algae passes over the bulb (or around the bulb if a quartz sleeve is used) and is irradiated with this wavelength. As the light penetrates the bacteria/algae, it mutates the DNA (genetic material), preventing growth/multiplication of the organism.

These guys sell UV, which I wouldn't hold much weight in due to the sales aspect but they agree:

https://www.aquaultraviolet.com/drupal/sites/default/files/instructions/Instructions-Classic-and-Twist-Series-06-25-2015.pdf

The Ultraviolet Lamp emits a germicidal ray which alters or disrupts the DNA or RNA of single celled organ-isms such as algae, bacteria and protozoa. By properly implementing an Aqua Ultraviolet System in-line, these organisms can be eradicated effectively without any harmful residuals.

I think you just confirmed what I said earlier. Thanks for finding this. 

• Haha 1

@Jeremy B just to confirm you did post this correct? The Ultraviolet Lamp emits a germicidal ray which alters or disrupts the DNA or RNA of single celled organ-isms such as algae, bacteria and protozoa. By properly implementing an Aqua Ultraviolet System in-line, these organisms can be eradicated effectivelywithout any harmful residuals.

3 minutes ago, Paul said:

@Jeremy B just to confirm you did post this correct? The Ultraviolet Lamp emits a germicidal ray which alters or disrupts the DNA or RNA of single celled organ-isms such as algae, bacteria and protozoa. By properly implementing an Aqua Ultraviolet System in-line, these organisms can be eradicated effectivelywithout any harmful residuals.

Sounds to me they just can't reproduce and live out their lives till their death. Also, as pointed out this is a place who SELL UV's, not a paper with sources.

Edited by Jeremy B
  • Like 1

So you can’t find anything either that disproves the claims that the currently available UV lights do what the manufacturers are making. If I read something with credible evidence that said that these were a waste of electricity I’d pull it out of my tank faster than you could say UV. 

All this discussion seems very academic 😛

What are some good options for those of us running hang-on-back filters? I suppose I could get a powerhead and an inline UV unit and add it that way, but I already dislike the amount of gear hanging inside, off-of, and around my aquarium. I'd prefer to keep things more hidden and tidy if reasonably (read: affordably) possible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike said:

What are some good options for those of us running hang-on-back filters? I suppose I could get a powerhead and an inline UV unit and add it that way, but I already dislike the amount of gear hanging inside, off-of, and around my aquarium. I'd prefer to keep things more hidden and tidy if reasonably (read: affordably) possible.

I use a green killing machine rated for 20 gallons in my 38 gal.  It’s hidden driftwood, so not really visible.  But hiding equipment is easiest at aquarium setup.  On the other hand I think a few HOB manufacturers have uv options. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Robin said:

I've read several post saying that UV sterilizers kill algae. Is this just green water type algae or will it kill hair algae. I'll buy one tomorrow if it will kill the hair algae in my 75g.

Only algae passing through the filter is effected. Sorry.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Robin said:

I've read several post saying that UV sterilizers kill algae. Is this just green water type algae or will it kill hair algae. I'll buy one tomorrow if it will kill the hair algae in my 75g.

No, it won't kill attached algae. It only zaps the DNA of floating cells in the water and prevents them from reproducing. Only good for green water and disease prevention.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, subramn said:

so is this recommended for disease prevention?

It can help, but it is not a substitute method for things like quarantining, clean water, reduced stress factors and other good tank habits.

When the wattage is high enough and the water moves through the UV sterilizer slowly enough, it supposed to prevent diseases like ich by killing the parasite protozoans while they are free floating.

In my practices, I have found that fish seem to be generally healthier and less prone to disease when I use UV sterilizers. I absolutely recommend them to help give you an edge, but not as a substitute for anything specifically.

I think it stands to reason that fishes' immune systems are stronger if they're not constantly fighting off the deadly microorganisms that float in the water. The UV sterilizer helps fight that battle.

I'm rambling, but I think that's probably a good way to think of a UV sterilizer: an immune system booster that also prevents green water.

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, subramn said:

@Bill Smith Thanks for the detailed answer.  I was planning to get one Green killing machine for my 55 gallon tank.

any reviews - pros/cons 

I like the Green Killing Machine. I like that it's separate from other filtering elements, and easy to just drop in the sump. 9 watts for 55 gallons is probably fine, and in my opinion you'll get more efficiency if you run the water through it nice and slow. The slower the flow, the more "hang-time" for micro-organisms to be exposed to the light.

I also like that it has two plugs: one for the light and one for the pump.

Downside is that it's pretty ugly in a tank if you can't hide it. Inline canister filter versions like the Turbo Twist are better if you want to conceal them.

On 9/29/2020 at 10:25 AM, Mike said:

Shop around, you can get it much cheaper.  Go with a low flow pump, it's all about contact time.

Edited by KBOzzie59
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2020 at 10:25 AM, Mike said:

Believe it or not, there is a Green Killing Machine that clips on to the output of hang-on-back filters:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLLMTCO

I bought one to play with, don't even know if it works, but it's a fascinating idea.

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Lots of confusion here, but most have stated - correctly - that UV exposure does not “kill” the organism, but renders it sterile.

the life cycle of single cell organisms is so short, that without the ability to replicate, their population will quickly decrease and they will eventually disappear altogether.

What most get wrong is that the intention is to run “24/7”.

The bulbs are expensive and have a very short working life.  The most effective way to use is to have UV activation follow the same lighting schedule already in place.