Bucket free water changer won't fit sink

dan94

Hello all! I recently purchased a Hygger water change system similar to the Pythons I've been hearing so much about. Unfortunately my sinks faucet with the aerator removed is still too small to be used with the system. I took my aerator and water change system to Lowes and Home Depot to look for an adapter to no avail. My sink uses a "tiny junior" aerator, which is apparently a 3/4" fine thread. I need to adapt this to match my water change system of 13/16" 15/16" or standard garden hose size. Has anyone here had any luck with these systems and sinks that are using these small aerators thank can give me some tips? 

@dan94 replacing faucets can get pricey, have you tried the other big box stores? May need to try a more plumbing specialized store. I had to replace a vanity faucet to get my python to fit, it was a chore just to find one that was right size and I needed to have a tall one that hooked down for space. IMO chasing this down or paying the price for a new faucet much better than bucket water changes even if tank is 15’ away from drain.

• Like 2

I had a similar situation. My sink wouldn't work, but not all was lost.

I got myself a cheap pump from Amazon and threw it in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. I drained the water into the tub as I found this to be quicker anyway. I'd fill the bucket with water the temperature I was looking for and pump it to the tanks using this cheap pump. Just make sure you buy one that is large enough to pump the water quickly and for any head height you have. Hope this helps someone, it is the method I used for quite a while.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, DavidR said:

Just make sure you buy one that is large enough to pump the water quickly and for any head height you have. Hope this helps someone, it is the method I used for quite a while.

And also make sure you don’t get one that’s way too strong… otherwise you’ll have to hold the hose in the pump with one hand and try to distribute the flow in the tank with the other. And you’ll have to grow a third hand to plug it in while you’re holding everything in place. If you fail, water will spew everywhere! 🤪

If you’d like an adapter, you can definitely find one! You just have to know the exact measurements of the two fittings and understand plumbing terminology, which I don’t. 😅 My husband found an adaptor that connects a garden hose and our sink. Here are two websites I found selling some adapters:

McMaster-Carr pipe adapters

Plumbing Supply faucet adapters

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 5:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

Have you checked online for a specialized adapter? Or an adapter that fits your outlet? I recently replaced an old faucet myself (breaking arm patting my back 🤣) it actually was not to difficult. So maybe change your current faucet. 

Ive scoured the internet, found a few options that may help. At Lowes I was told I would need something specialized that they dont sell. I am currently getting an adapter for a different sink with hopes itll work!

On 9/7/2021 at 6:05 AM, Atitagain said:

@dan94 replacing faucets can get pricey, have you tried the other big box stores? May need to try a more plumbing specialized store. I had to replace a vanity faucet to get my python to fit, it was a chore just to find one that was right size and I needed to have a tall one that hooked down for space. IMO chasing this down or paying the price for a new faucet much better than bucket water changes even if tank is 15’ away from drain.

Yeah I went to two different Lowes stores and a home depot. Unfortunately they couldn't help me find what I needed. I even looked online with one of the associates who is also a plumber to no luck. Im trying my kitchen faucet now, which is the extendable type. I took off the sprayer part and I found an adapter that will hopefully work with the hose. Hopefully it works, it'll be that or a new sink, I don't want to do the bucket brigade with my new tank.

I found a solution! After not being able to find an adapter for my bathroom sink, I took the sprayer attachment off of my kitchen sink to take a look at its threads. I couldnt get an adapter, but it looked small enough for the python universal adapter and got a great seal with no leaks at all. I did have to take out a smaller black piece out to get it to fit, but it works! Posting for future reference if it helps anyone else!

IMG_1969.jpg.4f09e625564741847379aa44eba09369.jpg

• Like 2

Glad you got a workaround for your Hygger!

I use a power head with an old piece of python hose attached to the output, to add water back to the tank. I just drop it in to my tote (bucket) and hold the hose in place until I'm done. I had same issue as Hobbit (needing three hands) until I zip tied a power strip with a on/off switch to my water change cart. I just flip the switch when I want the pump to shut off.

• Thanks 1