How to best filter a 48x24x10, 50 gallon tank?

Indlers

Hey all.

My sister recently gave me a 50 gallon low boy. When she offered it to me, I thought that's what she was calling her 50 long. I thought, okay, great. Then I saw it. I'm still happy to have it for free lol but I'm a bit confused about how to filter it now. I had planned to put a large Co-Op sponge filter in it, but given the 1' height, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with two meds, or smalls, or maybe even a quartet of nanos or something. I'm really not sure how to go about this though. Any low boy fans out there who can steer me in the right direction? Any input would be appreciated.

Edited by Indlers

Given the 4 foot length, I think you'd be much better doing the 2 mediums, as it would help eliminate any dead spots, and increase surface agitation. That worked for me on a 40 long tank (also 4 foot).

Also, I have a 75 gallon (again, 4 foot tank), where I have 2 mediums in the rear corners, and a small that is dead center, both length and width-wise. If you don't mind having a sponge filter in the middle of everything, that may be a good idea, given the longer width to your tank.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 8:57 PM, quikv6 said:

Given the 4 foot length, I think you'd be much better doing the 2 mediums, as it would help eliminate any dead spots, and increase surface agitation. That worked for me on a 40 long tank (also 4 foot).

Also, I have a 75 gallon (again, 4 foot tank), where I have 2 mediums in the rear corners, and a small that is dead center, both length and width-wise. If you don't mind having a sponge filter in the middle of everything, that may be a good idea, given the longer width to your tank.

Both seem like reasonable options to me. Do you think the height could become a problem with those mediums? I've never dealt with a tank this shallow before, and those bubbles are only going to be in contact with the water for a few inches. I'll have lots of oxygenation from plants as well, and I'll be keeping a close eye on things so I doubt they'll suffocate. I'd like to make it as comfy for them as possible right off the bat though of course.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:11 PM, Scott P. said:

I don't know if sponge filters will give enough circulation for a tank that's 24 inches front to back.

That's the first I've seen with those measurements.

It is really weird, dude. I did as much reading on it as I could before I posted, but couldn't find anything about filtration. Apparently they tend to be marketed for growing coral though, which makes sense.

On 9/5/2021 at 9:15 PM, Tihshho said:

Depending what you put in it, it might benefit from a sump or at least a canister or two.

All Endler's all the time :^) With lots of plants as well.
I'll look into those options, thank you. I dont have much experience with either, but I like sponges a lot since they're pretty much hassle free when it comes to plants

Edited by Indlers
grammar

I've got a 60 (or is it 80?) gallon tank with a similar floor print that is used for coral frags and besides a sump I had to use powerheads just to get flow across the tank. Keep in mind, reef is more demanding for flow, but even what I was doing still had limited cross flow. 

• Thanks 1

This is one situation where a canister filter is likely your best option (and I’m not a big fan of canisters).  Or a big sump.  Either would let you do a return from the opposite end from the outflow.  I would oversize the filter like mad so you get good flow rates and make it a riverbed with hillstream loaches and other fast water fish.

Other fast water fish might be almost any type of danio, most any type of rasbora, white clouds (not named mountain minnows for nothing, right?), some other loaches also like fast water, many barbs, and some gobies also.

Or you could do the absolute opposite and do just sponges and low flow fish.  That gives you lots of territory and would be a great tank for a shoal of pea puffers (if you like high maintenance, cranky fish), or a Betta sorority, for just a couple options.  I’m sure others here can think of more stocking options.

To me, this shape cries out for one extreme or the other (if you’re not doing a frag tank).  Which way you go depends on your personal taste and what kind of fish you like.

Edited by Odd Duck
Add more fast water fish to the list
  • Thanks 1

Okay, I think I know what I'm going to do.
Found this video with this exact tank, running on two sponges.

Unfortunately he doesnt cover which size, but I think mediums will, worst case scenario, work passably, and might just be perfect. Just in case though, and for a bit more flow, I have this old tetra that I absolutely hate, mostly because it murders duckweed. I'm thinking if I put it in a back corner facing forward I can put a stone in front of it, also angled forward, redirecting it's flow, again, forward. Where, ideally, it will gently hit the side of the tank and move water around. I used to use this angled stone thing when breeding fatheads and they loved it, spent a lot of their time swimming against that little mock current, so I know it works, at least in a 20. Given the short height, and the fact that I'll be placing the angled stone much higher this time around it should be at least a bit stronger. I think lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Untitled.png.131330ae1c03feb2a90cc3571341e838.png

Worst case scenario, there's a bit more filtration, and the adult Endler's, who like a bit of current, should feel inclined to hang out over there. So if I place hides towards the sponge side to attract the fry that way, everyone should play nice in their own little zones. Maybe, we'll see. Worst case scenario, well fed Endler's dont bother fry too much. this can all be tweaked and optimized later too of course. 

On 9/5/2021 at 10:13 PM, Tihshho said:

I've got a 60 (or is it 80?) gallon tank with a similar floor print that is used for coral frags and besides a sump I had to use powerheads just to get flow across the tank. Keep in mind, reef is more demanding for flow, but even what I was doing still had limited cross flow. 

I'll definitely keep that in mind, I might have to invest in a powerhead or two

On 9/5/2021 at 10:26 PM, Odd Duck said:

This is one situation where a canister filter is likely your best option (and I’m not a big fan of canisters).  Or a big sump.  Either would let you do a return from the opposite end from the outflow.  I would oversize the filter like mad so you get good flow rates and make it a riverbed with hillstream loaches and other fast water fish.

Other fast water fish might be almost any type of danio, most any type of rasbora, white clouds (not named mountain minnows for nothing, right?), some other loaches also like fast water, many barbs, and some gobies also.

Or you could do the absolute opposite and do just sponges and low flow fish.  That gives you lots of territory and would be a great tank for a shoal of pea puffers (if you like high maintenance, cranky fish), or a Betta sorority, for just a couple options.  I’m sure others here can think of more stocking options.

To me, this shape cries out for one extreme or the other (if you’re not doing a frag tank).  Which way you go depends on your personal taste and what kind of fish you like.

There are definitely a lot of possibilities, it would also make a sweet home for an axolotl 

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 12:32 AM, Indlers said:

There are definitely a lot of possibilities, it would also make a sweet home for an axolotl 

Yes!  Lotls would be very cool in this tank!

You could still put your sponge filters at the back wall and aim for rolling the water column front to back vs end to end.  You could even do a long bubble wall to enhance the turnover, or do multiple smaller sponge filters, or heck, why not both?  It’s not like you’re going to get a crazy amount of current from sponge filters and bubble walls.  It would still serve just fine for low current species if you wanted.  And of course would be fine for any species that don’t have a need for fast water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

These frag tanks are so cool!  I’d love to do a indoor pond aquascape in one. Something like a 50 gallon version of this. It could be done on a budget with cheap add a light type spotlights, sponge filters and a $20 Aquarium Coop power head for flow.  Platties, Gold Guppies and White Ricefish would make a nice koi pond effect and you might even be able to skip the heater. 

• Like 1

Wow, I'm pretty surprised, but Prime Time Aquatics actually got back to me about what sponge filters they put in their lowboy. Apparently two ATI Hydro-Sponge IVs. From what I can gather they are rated for >80 gallon tanks. So I'm thinking I'll go with two Co-Op large sponges, and the accursed tetra hang-on-back jic, and it should be good. 

On 9/6/2021 at 1:51 AM, Odd Duck said:

You could still put your sponge filters at the back wall and aim for rolling the water column front to back vs end to end.  

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm thinking, but with the sponges towards the middle. Do you think I'd get better results with them towards the front or back? Cause I'm open to that.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:59 AM, Tihshho said:

One thing to keep in mind is that setup had Shelly's which constantly turn substrate. Depending on your stocking, you might be vacuuming more due to the lack of cross flow.

No worries, I just wanted affirmation that it could be done reliably with sponges. Gonna be keeping it bare bottom (¬‿¬) His set up was cool, not really my style though. My style is basically no style. Gonna have the Endler's in there, some shrimp, and maybe a couple plecos later down the road when things are bit more established in there

On 9/6/2021 at 7:07 AM, quikv6 said:

You can also cut the uplift tubes, or remove them altogether, if you want more bubbles in the directly in the water.

Yeah, I think I'll have to. Might end up doing bubble walls as well, but I might have to get another pump for that.

Edited by Indlers
spelling
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 12:44 AM, Indlers said:

Wow, I'm pretty surprised, but Prime Time Aquatics actually got back to me about what sponge filters they put in their lowboy. Apparently two ATI Hydro-Sponge IVs. From what I can gather they are rated for >80 gallon tanks. So I'm thinking I'll go with two Co-Op large sponges, and the accursed tetra hang-on-back jic, and it should be good. 

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm thinking, but with the sponges towards the middle. Do you think I'd get better results with them towards the front or back? Cause I'm open to that.

No worries, I just wanted affirmation that it could be done reliably with sponges. Gonna be keeping it bare bottom (¬‿¬) His set up was cool, not really my style though. My style is basically no style. Gonna have the Endler's in there, some shrimp, and maybe a couple plecos later down the road when things are bit more established in there

Yeah, I think I'll have to. Might end up doing bubble walls as well, but I might have to get another pump for that.

I would put them toward the back.  The goal would be to encourage the water to slowly roll over back to front at the surface and front to back at the bottom.  Your HOB will also encourage that motion.  Putting them in the middle will mix, but more randomly and might be more at risk for low current in corners.

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 11:11 PM, Odd Duck said:

I would put them toward the back.  The goal would be to encourage the water to slowly roll over back to front at the surface and front to back at the bottom.  Your HOB will also encourage that motion.  Putting them in the middle will mix, but more randomly and might be more at risk for low current in corners.

Gotcha. I will do that. 

On 9/10/2021 at 1:27 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

In a 20 long I have 2 small sponges in the back corners and a small tetra in the middle and the flow is great. I think your idea will work well. 70C87A79-506A-45CD-851A-B48E8E0FE8E1.jpeg.95f93b8c7eb33548d9096e37226a2e12.jpeg

Nice. I think so too. I'll be keeping a close eye on it just in case though, but then again, I tend to do that with a new tank anyway.
Lovely set-up btw, man

• Thanks 1

On 9/7/2021 at 1:44 AM, Indlers said:

Wow, I'm pretty surprised, but Prime Time Aquatics actually got back to me about what sponge filters they put in their lowboy. Apparently two ATI Hydro-Sponge IVs. From what I can gather they are rated for >80 gallon tanks. So I'm thinking I'll go with two Co-Op large sponges, and the accursed tetra hang-on-back jic, and it should be good

Have you thought about using the ACOOP powerheads on the sponge filters?  You would have great flow and excellent filtration...Just a thought.

• Like 4

On 9/11/2021 at 9:24 AM, ARMYVET said:

Have you thought about using the ACOOP powerheads on the sponge filters?  You would have great flow and excellent filtration...Just a thought.

The trouble there is the coop sponge stands at 8", and the tank is only 10", so there just isnt the space. I might have to get a powerhead or two, but idk about the ones at the co-op, since they dont seem to be adjustable.  

• 2 years later...