Om gosh! Surprise! 3 snail clutches. Now what?!

Brandy

Guys! 

I have been a terrible fish mom. They get fed, the water gets changed as infrequently as possible. I've been in a holding pattern, dealing with work, life, and the new house. 

I finally did a big water change, and suddenly 2 giant clutches of mystery snail eggs dropped into the tank! I had given up on these guys, as they never seemed to do anything and one died in the move.

I fished out the clutches immediately, and discovered a third up under the rim. I dropped the water level a little, put the 2 knocked off clutches in a floating container with a paper towel, and have not decided whether I should do the same with this one that is still attached? That one is pink the other two are gray and white? 

Advice from snail gurus sought!

Thanks!

(Pics in the morning, it is late here)

If the two knocked of were fully submerged they may no longer be viable as they drown but I don’t know how quickly. They need to be consistently humid   76-80 is ideal hatching temperature.  I do not know your setup but if you do not have a tight fitting glass lid they may not stay humid enough. 
if you wish to hatch Rachael O’Leary does a super easy hatching video. Basically a ziploc container with holes in lid and moist paper towels floating in the tank. Disturbing them by lifting the lid to much etc..causes them to fall off.  She explains how moist and how often she changes. It also shows what they look like prehatch and if they are slightly too dry how what they look like and how to assist in the hatch. I never had luck with leaving them in place but my niece did. Good luck. Would love to see pictures. 😍 The grey and white are most likely just about to hatch. They should look (not sure this is the right wording for the visual) grey and white (as you said) slightly like moldy or mildew but not quite that nothing growing on them or anything. You  may need to assist though if they are too hard for the babies to come out of. 8-14 days average from lay to hatch at those temps
edit..the babies are incredibly tiny hatching them into a coop specimen cup is an awesome easy thing I recommend.  Fish will eat the babies as the shells are not yet as hard as the parents

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2021 at 5:49 AM, Guppysnail said:

If the two knocked of were fully submerged they may no longer be viable as they drown but I don’t know how quickly. They need to be consistently humid   76-80 is ideal hatching temperature.  I do not know your setup but if you do not have a tight fitting glass lid they may not stay humid enough. 
if you wish to hatch Rachael O’Leary does a super easy hatching video. Basically a ziploc container with holes in lid and moist paper towels floating in the tank. Disturbing them by lifting the lid to much etc..causes them to fall off.  She explains how moist and how often she changes. It also shows what they look like prehatch and if they are slightly too dry how what they look like and how to assist in the hatch. I never had luck with leaving them in place but my niece did. Good luck. Would love to see pictures. 😍 The grey and white are most likely just about to hatch. They should look (not sure this is the right wording for the visual) grey and white (as you said) slightly like moldy or mildew but not quite that nothing growing on them or anything. You  may need to assist though if they are too hard for the babies to come out of. 8-14 days average from lay to hatch at those temps
edit..the babies are incredibly tiny hatching them into a coop specimen cup is an awesome easy thing I recommend.  Fish will eat the babies as the shells are not yet as hard as the parents

I second everything she said especially about Rachael O’Learys video it’s what helped me hatch two clutches and the process was super easy. BB30AA5A-8CE3-4770-ADFB-D1B47302ADCD.jpeg.aa347268a000aec970e894d8c6896ef2.jpegGood luck!!!

• Like 1