First Apistgramma spawn

Desktop Aquatics

This is my first attempt at breeding any fish but I did get my apistogramma 'blue steel' to spawn and have started raising the fry on their own. The female is doing a great job and thus far none of the other fish in the tank have been bothering them at all. Is there any extra I should be doing? I am feeding baby brine shrimp and feeding repashy spawn and grow sparingly. I planned on extra doing extra water changes every other day instead of my usual twice a week.

P.S. extremely new to the hobby started 6 months ago very excited and nervous

401461126_ApistoFryGIF.gif

• Like 8
  • Love 2

So cool. Congrats. Extra water changes are something i occasionally do and i definately change out filter media more often when feeding live baby brine.

I just recently had my first "krib"spawn, P.subocellus moanda , and left the fry with the parents for 2 weeks. I generally leave fry and parents together until the parents seem disinterested in guarding the fry as closely. My bolivian rams quit protecting at about that two week time and I should have pulled the fry as soon as I noticed the behavioral change. My regani pike took 60 days to stop guarding I pulled the majority of fry then; i think its more parental behavior dependant for my tanks.

The only other thing I do with cichlids is feed a variety for the adults while guarding as well. My cichlid parents seem to get the fry eating whatever they eat and that saves a lot of hassle later on. Early pulled fry for me were picky eaters with lower survival rates and slower growth. 

Edited by mountaintoppufferkeeper
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 2:14 AM, Kylec said:

This is my first attempt at breeding any fish but I did get my apistogramma 'blue steel' to spawn and have started raising the fry on their own. The female is doing a great job and thus far none of the other fish in the tank have been bothering them at all. Is there any extra I should be doing? I am feeding baby brine shrimp and feeding repashy spawn and grow sparingly. I planned on extra doing extra water changes every other day instead of my usual twice a week.

P.S. extremely new to the hobby started 6 months ago very excited and nervous

401461126_ApistoFryGIF.gif

Just from that snapshot of your tank, it looks like you’re doing everything perfectly. I never fed mine baby brine so I can’t advise if you need to do anything extra while doing that. Just make sure you’re feeding the adults a bunch of good foods as well, cuz it took a lot of energy for the female to produce all those eggs. Congrats! Enjoy the experience! I bred my apistos for the first time around the 6 month mark of me getting into the hobby, and it’s an awesome experience. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips! Yah I was already feeding the tank baby brine anyways but good to know. The parents seem very attentive, I’m truly just amazed how exciting it is, I was genuinely shaking when I saw the fry and I’ve never been more observant with my tank than I am now. Being only 5-6 months in I honestly didn’t think it would happen this fast or easy. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/15/2021 at 3:26 PM, the other Irene said:

yeah, more apistos.  I pulled my fry at 2 wks.  for the 2nd batch I have I going to wait 4 wks to see what happens.

a little update, have decided I will not have room for another grow out tank. so, I will be monitoring my only tank extremely closely and hoping for the best really... If there are problems might have to rethink the lack of space and get creative. Not much has changed in 3 days but they fry are still with mom and are from what i can tell growing and feeding on the detritus in the tank 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Late 1 month update! Still counting 20 at a time but easily could be 25-30! They are still in with mom and dad as I do not have room for another tank at my house. Every other day water changes and frozen baby grime shrimp and bow adding spawn and grow rapashy 1x a week! All are looking pretty decent size and healthy 

512DB848-4080-4ECE-9177-F88BBE47D892.jpeg

2C20BAB5-2309-457C-BC8B-C282B8DF8CFA.gif

Edited by Kylec
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@Kyle murfitt its funny you say that because everyday I stare into this tank and am cursed that I only have space for the one at the moment. I dream of having at least a rack of breeding apisto pairs so I can understand your frustrations of patience. I will one day have that  rack but not until I have a new home or apartment with more space! Be patient my friend you'll love the tank and the fish!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sold my first batch today! Bitter sweet but also exciting to see how many survived to “adulthood”. I sold 34 from my first batch it was a lot more than I thought it would actually be! This also meant I had to take down my aquascape which now the tank looks bare again but I am excited to see it grow out again!

8E3F193C-462D-4064-AE3C-2D8E3A5AF567.jpeg

F146CE6E-E60C-4014-9BB3-C81C2599410C.jpeg

• Like 2