what type of heater do you guys recommend?

FishyMike

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys are using for heaters in your fish racks. I would love to go all out on heaters and spend some serious money on some cobalts or something like that but unfortunately with the quantity of tanks I'm looking at its kind of beginning to be a budget built at this point. I saw a video with dean and took a snip of the heater he was using does anyone know what type this is? I'm familiar with the aqueon pros or the jagers but this one looks really interesting.image.png.64158866f6f409b90da0275237f79a63.png

My thoughts are just don't get one you cannot adjust.  They say they maintain optimum temps, but the ones we've used we have to turn them off manually in some cases or they would literally cook our fish.
They make adjustable heaters for 1-5 gallon tanks, they do look more bulky than the preset ones but I just dont trust those. 

We use this one for our nano tanks currently. 

Edited by GameCzar
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 11:39 AM, GameCzar said:

My thoughts are just don't get one you cannot adjust.  They say they maintain optimum temps, but the ones we've used we have to turn them off manually in some cases or they would literally cook our fish.
They make adjustable heaters for 1-5 gallon tanks, they do look more bulky than the preset ones but I just dont trust those. 

thank you for that!! if that's the one I'm thinking of it does have a controller on it! its a button that you keep hitting and it raises or lowers temp.

• Like 1

If you’re gonna be doing mass amount of tanks for the same room, I’d say heat the room to whatever temp keeps water at the temp You want most of the tanks at, then heat the few tanks you want hotter, aka discus/ram/pleco tanks (if you’re even working with those). Properly insulating the room and getting a heater for the room will be more $ up front but a Lot less risk and hassle in the long run.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I try to keep the tank clean of wires, pipes etc. hence all my heaters are inside the filter, other than esthetics it also provide a better heat distribution. All heater are controlled by Inkbird controller that are set to 1.5C above my required temp that is set on the heater's thermostat. If you decide to have immerse heaters make sure to have covers on them to prevent injury to fish if are touched. In my quarantine tank I have some suckers who love to attach themselves to the heater and the cover helps.

Other than that I think that Steph's is a good idea.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:08 AM, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

If you’re gonna be doing mass amount of tanks for the same room, I’d say heat the room to whatever temp keeps water at the temp You want most of the tanks at, then heat the few tanks you want hotter, aka discus/ram/pleco tanks (if you’re even working with those). Properly insulating the room and getting a heater for the room will be more $ up front but a Lot less risk and hassle in the long run.

thank you for your response!! that was I'm initial thought but i will be keeping mainly actually all of my fish will be exotic plecos, apistos and maybe rams at some point and heating up my basement to 82ish might not be practical but I will have to look more into it. thank you!!

On 8/10/2021 at 1:50 AM, s1_ said:

I like inkbird controllers. They turn cheap heaters into more reliable heating elements.

thank you for your response!! i actually have an inkbird from when i was into my hard cider making hobby. I did give that a thought but i think i remmeber pauying at least 26 dollars for that one and with a cheap element for 8 plus tanks i dont see that being benifitial. thank you unless some how I can connect multiple tanks to one controller hmm

On 8/9/2021 at 10:45 AM, Mikeo said:

Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys are using for heaters in your fish racks. I would love to go all out on heaters and spend some serious money on some cobalts or something like that but unfortunately with the quantity of tanks I'm looking at its kind of beginning to be a budget built at this point. I saw a video with dean and took a snip of the heater he was using does anyone know what type this is? I'm familiar with the aqueon pros or the jagers but this one looks really interesting.image.png.64158866f6f409b90da0275237f79a63.png

That looks like a Hygger to me. I have one on our quarantank. Good heater, just takes up a lot of room.