Scaping a Quarantine tank?

illconceivedart

Hi guys,

I have a 33long and 20tall tank, and recently got a 10gal to be used as a quarantine tank (I had my first case of ich, and I want to prevent this in the future).

I'd like to scape it as I want it to be a permanent quarantine tank and not be an eye sore.

My options are:

A) Scape it with substrate, hardscape (dragonstone/driftwood), and some hardy plants.

B) Leave it bare bottom, and just a few pieces of hardscape.

Anyone have good or bad experiences with scaping a QT tank? Which option would you do, and why?

Bare bottom will be better, I think. Sometimes you want to see the what comes out of a sick fish. It is easier to find it, remove it, and inspect it in a bare-bottom tank. Also, when you are trying to get the sick fish to eat, you will want to remove any food that does not get eaten. Again, easier with a bare bottom.

After the illness is resolved, a bare bottom tank is easier to clean to avoid infecting the next patient with the disease of the last patient.

Plants on the hardscape might be a plus for water quality and to help calm the fish.

On 7/28/2021 at 12:12 PM, Griznatch said:

Mine is bare bottom with a huge ball of java moss and a pothos hanging out the side. It's very easy to clean the bottom, and those two plants can take just about any meds without ill effect. Right now it's holding a surprise batch of guppy fry....

This is what I have previously done and used as a plant grow out

I'd suggest only putting things in that you don't mind throwing away - in case it gets contaminated.

So, bare bottom. Excess of something that grows fast (like hornwort). A stem of pothos (you could cut off the part in the water, and re-root the remaining stem). Extra rocks that you're not particularly fond of. Maybe an easily replaceable hiding spot (like a piece of PVC pipe or a plastic coconut hut). 

By the way, if you want a planted look, many things can be suction-cupped to the bare floor. There are aquarium-specific suction cups that come with tiny zip ties. I found some online. But again, just use excess plants you're okay with trashing.

Bare bottom, for sure.  Some meds will be partially, or significantly, inactivated by organic matter.  You also might need to sterilize the tank at some point.  The hope for a QT is to not need to sterilize or treat, just monitor for any disease for 2-4 weeks.  But sometimes you’ll need to treat.

That may mean you’ll have to remove, toss out, or disinfect everything in the tank.  Plastic plants or fast growing plants that you don’t mind replacing, like others mentioned.  Disinfectable or disposable everything.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:46 PM, illconceivedart said:

Problem is my only fully established tank just had ICH (reason why I'm setting up the 10gal as a QT tank).

Is it ok for me to squeeze out that media, or would it be risky since I had ICH recently?

I would not. Way too risky. Get a coop plant or two. Super simple and nice looking too. I’ve gotten some very pretty ones. Just be sure to watch that video it cycling something he explains how to use the easy green to keep the cycle going indefinitely.

Thanks for the advice Guppy! Much appreciated.

How about something like a biological booster? My local petco caries something like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-biological-booster

Would this be beneficial to boost the cycle? I've really never used the bacteria in a bottle type cycle, but I've heard it can work.

some of the bottled bacteria do a good job of kick starting the cycle. i have no idea on that one, as ive never used it.  fritzyme7, and fluval cycle  have both worked for me. as mentioned above, plants bought out of a tank tend to carry a bunch of good bacteria also.

On 7/29/2021 at 11:35 PM, illconceivedart said:

Thanks for the advice Guppy! Much appreciated.

How about something like a biological booster? My local petco caries something like this: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-biological-booster

Would this be beneficial to boost the cycle? I've really never used the bacteria in a bottle type cycle, but I've heard it can work.

I’m not a bottle bacteria person. Some say yes some say no. I tried it once just to see it took forever and a day and even after my cycle it was not solid stable the way my other two methods (plants or seasoned media) were.  I’ve also back in time used the just fish food and plants method with better results. Every little thing made it go whacko. I ended up pulling a sponge from another tank.  Everyone has the thing that works for them and they swear by it. My method works for me because my results are predictable based on the performance I’ve come to expect. There have been several debates on here about it and they usually end in a stale mate.  Plus coop plants are cheaper and prettier 😁