New top fin pro series filter

On 9/14/2021 at 8:40 PM, Streetwise said:

I have tried many different skimmers, and I always have the same question for each unit: how does it deal with changing water levels?

IMO Eheim did it best with the floating portion of the intake. when you position it correctly you have the ability to drop the water level around 3"

Edited by Tihshho

Jeff…The pre-filter is course.

It is sponge.

After the pre-filter on the TopFin Pro, there is a second sponge which is fine. Then the water enters activated charcoal, then ceramic rings before it exits back to the tank.

The tanks are so clear, you wouldn’t know that there’s water in the tanks. The fish look like they’re swimming in empty space. Both tanks. 20gal and 75gal.

97ACFA36-5180-4F66-966C-CCC5E81856F7.jpeg.39fe936743e0856f81eeecbbff5110f8.jpeg

E1D833E7-556E-4B64-9D97-54EF449D36FC.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought the pro 110 and so far it's great and has lots of room for other filter media like polishing pads and nitrate pads or what ever your tank needs. I put it on my new 75 gallon aquarium with african cichlids in it and I'm running it with an under gravel filter so far I'm not having any issues but I haven't tried to over stock it yet. By the way the price was amazing compared to similar products only 59 bucks and I ordered it online so I was able to save about 25 bucks on that price threw petsmart.

20211023_094920.jpg

20211023_094918.jpg

20211102_230004.jpg

On 11/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, ejd774 said:

I bought the pro 110 and so far it's great and has lots of room for other filter media like polishing pads and nitrate pads or what ever your tank needs. I put it on my new 75 gallon aquarium with african cichlids in it and I'm running it with an under gravel filter so far I'm not having any issues but I haven't tried to over stock it yet. By the way the price was amazing compared to similar products only 59 bucks and I ordered it online so I was able to save about 25 bucks on that price threw petsmart.

20211023_094920.jpg

20211023_094918.jpg

20211102_230004.jpg

Hmmm interesting I’ll have to pick one up then, even tho I started this post I haven’t actually gotten one but it’s interesting to see what everyone thought about it, also you can still get that discount in store at petsmart, you just gotta look up the price and show them at the register

Two common complaints I've seen in the 110 are that condensation occurs around the lid causing water to drip on the floor and the rim is too thick to put the filter on the tank and still fit the glass canopy. Just passing this on as things you might want to check...

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys! Just wanted to toss in my two cents. I have two of these 110s on my 75, and I think they’re probably the best HOB filters I’ve ever used. Regarding the “protein skimmer” it’s definitely just a surface skimmer, I completely agree. It is helpful in catching duckweed and some excess food if I go a little crazy. Regarding the tops leaking, I personally don’t use the tops at all and have terrestrial plants in there to help with nutrient export. And man, it’s fantastic for that. I clean the sponge and use the front compartment for  filter pads. I buy the large pads from the coop and just cut them to size - they work great. I have a photo of my whole tank, but I’d be happy to share more in-depth photos of the filter itself if y’all want some! 
Be well! 

B0BB6874-F145-42C3-818F-538554E3BE04.jpeg

• Like 8

On 12/5/2021 at 2:28 PM, Zeithelden said:

@Streetwiseoh, I gotcha! I don’t take many pictures of my tanks, unfortunately. I’ll see what I can do when I have a little more free time. 

[Psst what he is saying is you have an extremely nice aquarium so he would like to see a bit more of its journey as time passes; so keeping a journal shows how the tank evolves]

• Like 1

On 12/5/2021 at 2:48 PM, Zeithelden said:

@anewbie oh, I see. Okay! It’s pretty new. About five months old or so - designed for discus. I have two that have been in there for about two weeks, so I ordered up four more. Very excited to see what happens. I’ll put one up this week. 

I see that other tank there too... Would love to see a journal for both of them! They're beautiful!

Regarding this fancy top fin filter. Can we just take a moment to appreciate the holographic box? I mean, it's pretty slick and I dig it because... SHINY THINGS!!!!

I like the way it's set up. I fight with a Penguin 150 on my sons 20G High. I have hot rodded it out, but it's not easy with how small the back portion is. I will consider trying the top fin when this one poops out on me, which, it will soon. I'll either do the top fin or an aquaclear... maybe a tidal... We'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

FBB8F1D6-E6C7-45E7-A602-A5C895ED45B2.jpeg.6b75bdb635e2f71ae764a9597a3b0eca.jpegHey all! New here. I’m running the pro series 110 in my 55g planted tank. Just set it up last weekend and so far I’m loving it! The only thing that I can’t figure out is why I can run it with the max filter flow. As soon as I turn the dial more than halfway the red ‘change media’ indicator shows and the water level in the filter rises to the very top! Anyone know what could be going on?!

Edited by Tiffers27
  • Like 1

No idea about the protein skimmer. Looks like they’re embracing the media basket style and structurally it seems pretty identical to the AC50/70. I agree the prefilter sponge by default is a thoughtful addition.

I love my AC70 but have a few minor gripes (lid rattle, susceptible to overflow, doesn’t self-prime well) so for me to switch over I’d have to see how it compares.

• Like 1