Green Ludwigia Repens

So I have one Ludwigia Repens in my low tech tank tank.  The plant has been growing well, and had lots of new growth however, it has been staying green.

I have been using Easy Iron for my Tiger Lotus, but the Ludwigia has no red color other then the stalks.

Is this just a result of having it in a low tech set up?  The plant has hand plenty of new growth, so it doesn't look in bad shape at all, but it isn't the deep red I was expecting.

I can deal if it isn't red, as the plant is a nice plant in my aquarium, but it would be nice if I could get red color out of it.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:33 PM, Averus said:

So I have one Ludwigia Repens in my low tech tank tank.  The plant has been growing well, and had lots of new growth however, it has been staying green.

I have been using Easy Iron for my Tiger Lotus, but the Ludwigia has no red color other then the stalks.

Is this just a result of having it in a low tech set up?  The plant has hand plenty of new growth, so it doesn't look in bad shape at all, but it isn't the deep red I was expecting.

I can deal if it isn't red, as the plant is a nice plant in my aquarium, but it would be nice if I could get red color out of it.

Ive heard that red doesnt have to be iron, Ive had it from good light and low nitrates

If you ever get into CO2 and really start researching plants and planted tanks; you will find that the top people in the industry will say iron does not increase reds. It really comes down to over all health of the plant and light intensity. I would increase intensity and see what happens. 

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/freshwater-aquarium-plants-guide/how-to-grow-red-plants?_pos=2&_sid=a6a99f7ab&_ss=r

• Like 1

I do have my Ludwigia in the brightest area of the tank, and it is away from anything else that can shade it, but the tank is pretty tall, it's a 55 gallon.  The Ludwigia has grown to a little more then half way to the surface, so hopefully then I will see some more red then when it gets taller.

I do plan down the line to set up some CO2, but since this tank is new, and my first time with plants, I am holding off till I can make sure I can successfully keep the tank running.  Good news on that front, I have had great luck with most of the plants.

For Ludwigia repens light is the deciding factor, although providing the plant with the correct ferilization which includes iron for the plant to be healthy is also important, as is CO2, it definitely helps, but you can have really red Ludwigia without the added CO2 as long as the light is high enough and the fertilization correct.