Success stories for betta with dropsy?

JoCinWB

What are the chances she'll recover?

Put her in hospital tank 2 days ago with aquarium salt. Today she looked worse. Dosed with Imagitarium bacterial remedy. Label doesn't say what it's good for specifically.

Gh 60 kh 40 ph 7 no2 0.5 no3 20

Depending on the level of salt your using I would up it to 1 table spoon for 1 gallon and treat with kanaplex and metroplex together as metroplex treats aeromonas bacteria a common cause of Dropsy the salt will help reduce the fluid buildup imagitarium bacterial remedy is not very effective when treating dropsy 

Edited by Colu

This is a really, really, really hard one. I may have cured my Betta of it (pine coning left but he was still misshapen), BUT the treatment may have caused other internal failures and he never recovered. There are lots of treatments on youtube and I can't tell you how many I watched. I did epsom salt baths and aquarium salt in his tank, water changes and melafix I believe. Treatment was very obviously hard on him. I wish you all sorts of luck and hope you can help your Betta pull through. 😞 

• Like 1

quikv6 I agree, but I read conflicting info online, some said to use water from the tank to avoid shocking her, some said use all fresh. I compromised and used half and half. I think the small heater I put in there (it doesn't maintain a temp sadly) may have contributed to the nitrite increase. I have an airstone in there but no filter, bc of adding meds.

I'm getting an antibiotic today and will do a complete change both for the water quality and to start her fresh with a different med. I will also increase salt from 1T/gal to 2T/gal, which was also suggested, since she's been in the 1T water for four days now.

I'm going to try water change, catappa leaves.   I'm a little worried about salt at the moment.  

I keep hearing that the survivability is so low, less than 1%, that I'm not going to stress him out too much.  

Im not sure what to do.... Just make it easier, or treat to just prolong the inevitable because it can't cure the damage on the inside. 

• Like 1

I am sorry to hear about your betta. An Epsom salt bath may help ease the swelling.

While the chances are slim, I think the best chance would be if your betta is eating. If so, perhaps you can combine Kanaplex w/Focus to the food. Getting a med ingested may be the most direct, quickest way to give a chance of recovery.

Best of luck. Fingers crossed.

She's not eating, unfortunately. But she still moves around now and then, coming up to the surface then going back under a rock.

I did a complete water change on my lunch break, increased the aquarium salt (2T/gal) and I added the antibiotic I could get at Petco, Melafix. 

Several people mentioned epsom salts, I had no idea that was fish safe. I don't have any but if I have to do another water change I'll look into it.

Melafix is not a very effective med for treating dropsy it plant oil based treatment I would treat with kanaplex and metroplex or api furan2 with the salt treatment for dropsy

Edited by Colu

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry about your betta.

Im preparing for the same.  He's still with me, but I've run out of options.   Just put a little bit of epsom in the tank to get rid of the bloat, and that worked. But pineconing is still there. He also developed a gray patch on his head which I understand is the effect of a parasite, likely triggered by stress. Not sure if it's the cause of dropsy. 

Aquarium salt is all I have left.  I'm almost done with my container.  

He's more lethargic, not as responsive as before.   But when he wants, he swims well.

• Sad 2

On 7/27/2021 at 2:36 PM, Gideyon said:

I'm sorry about your betta.

Im preparing for the same.  He's still with me, but I've run out of options.   Just put a little bit of epsom in the tank to get rid of the bloat, and that worked. But pineconing is still there. He also developed a gray patch on his head which I understand is the effect of a parasite, likely triggered by stress. Not sure if it's the cause of dropsy. 

Aquarium salt is all I have left.  I'm almost done with my container.  

He's more lethargic, not as responsive as before.   But when he wants, he swims well.

I hope he's improved. 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:47 AM, JoCinWB said:

I hope he's improved. 

No.   He died last week. Either it was time, or the metroplex/kanaplex combination was too much for him.   But his bloat returned, lethargy was worse, and he stopped eating.    

Now I'm waiting for sunny days so I can sanitize the tank. 

On 8/4/2021 at 9:19 AM, Gideyon said:

No.   He died last week. Either it was time, or the metroplex/kanaplex combination was too much for him.   But his bloat returned, lethargy was worse, and he stopped eating.    

Now I'm waiting for sunny days so I can sanitize the tank. 

I'm so sorry. It sounds like you did everything possible, but he just didn't have the strength.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:34 AM, Gideyon said:

Did you sanitize for your next occupant? 

I only have a pleco in the tank, he's still looking fine. I had mollies in there, all healthy, but they wouldn't stop birthing babies so I rehomed them. I read dropsy is caused by a bacteria that's common in tanks but only affects fish if they're stressed or otherwise weakened. I hadn't planned to do anything other than keep it clean. I did thoroughly clean the quarantine tank, though.

• Like 2