What to do about damaged leaves

I got an anubias recently and unfortunately one of the leaves got creased in transport.  Is it best to cut that leaf off or can I trim just the damaged part off?  Or just leave it? 

It's an even more beautiful plant than I expected and I want to give it as much of a head start in my aquarium as possible.

xvK1DToaib43k0jxeGhXSp8hfGDoarpmMOgpsXLux82WnVBI0mnxgO92CyeUS6yYfswTN1eFxfEK11CpN_UfbM_6m1XbMEllP_PLR-fTTCtXq4p8l5HQ_nl34FZPlyS4dzM9LkCN4xsNg_zEBOZ0ulAyMJTrkxXF1qLxtB4VSfmrPMT9yEI_GLOriw1j61h7eBBjA8fsbeLNL8YUKHem06rZpF5fkFNGlt5ha7fdwKh5im6s6tbWY80jjabjfN1_dtKcTVycKOTYEC1aELuD-pAh77ccvnM7fz7KHqhl1eX-BTDsKW7AL2GTSLIdoDYrJcHGJXI9-cqmqCk3IQ5CuneTqdcRB7KddSjEPRoPejGzMCTAuq_Hh76n2L2FoaUzl3oCN9EjSBvgMj9tPK6LWnyQR7-ID6pguW-ZsapQsXne6Ff6cKxzOb09EiPOkDMVIkCXxe80tUnGTEcit9iYo9a-J0KfV4REqQbKO05JAqy6Ye6Wo4vwvonRn8cJOsmGiEAvi0OX8dUL9Uqk1hPgTAv-jIQmIzg043STS1Za75M1YzWEldPFkjVI6WidfQr04NgxXpelN8UcvC87Fcy5F4xKuPdQC0xgqwfPi_UDq5AG83wCB-AuwhPnge9Fp5IsJkab_yWDobQ92mPpcaYWieldBNio6R3qHdHu7SCofbcPqjqD0mzQw1QRCg87_lQNrA3UwmOjbMUHrMdvRmjjwAdFWg=w1324-h993-no?authuser=0

On 7/8/2021 at 8:08 AM, Phantom240 said:

Personally, I'd leave it. If it dies and begins decaying, trim the leaf and its stem close to the rhizome. 

Is it best to cut it tight to the rhizome or should you leave a small "shoot" length so it can split off a new leaf?

Edited by jnaks

On 7/8/2021 at 5:19 PM, jnaks said:

Is it best to cut it tight to the rhizome or should you leave a small "shoot" length so it can split off a new leaf?

I'd cut close to the rhizome, because I'm almost positive that a new leaf won't sprout from the stem the damaged leaf grew on. Perhaps someone who knows a bit more about anubias can chime in, but my experience is as such. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 2:12 PM, Phantom240 said:

I'd cut close to the rhizome, because I'm almost positive that a new leaf won't sprout from the stem the damaged leaf grew on. Perhaps someone who knows a bit more about anubias can chime in, but my experience is as such. 

Well, and part of my personal situation, is the leaf is just catching too much algae and shading way too much of the other plants (including its own smaller leaves).  It also had part of the leaf torn and so combined with all that, I wanted to prune it back.  

When you cut off the damaged leaf and stem, will it trigger the rhizome to send out a new leaf....I have 4 in my tank and 3 have already sent out new leaves but one has a damaged stalk on it from shipping and I left it there.  If I cut it off now will it trigger a new leaf?

• Like 1