Electrical for fish room

Jimmy

My detached shop has a 15 amp breaker from my panel off to it. I’m hammering out details for a small fish room. plan on running a 1500 watt oil heater, not sure on the actual consumption or how high I will need to run in a small room that’s 8x8 or smaller. Any idea what peak would be?

additionally a linear piston air pump that’s about 45 watts and maybe 200 watts in total of cheap led fixtures. With the occasional submersible pump for water changes.

will I need more watts? Can I just run a 20 off my breaker and run another line? What about a extension cord underground to supplement maybe just the lights and pump then put the heater or dehumidifier on the 15.

ive even considered running a solar panel or two or even a solar tube or two for lighting. This is something of a budget build.

From what I figured what you have listed is runt around 14.5 amps. To me that's pushing the allowable current draw of the circuit. I would advise running another 20 amp circuit with 12Awg for the heater and then put the rest of the equipment on the 15 amp circuit

• Like 2

the above sounds about right. also, no extension cords under ground. proper wiring only. no cutting corners on household electrical, as when things go wrong they usually involve burning down the place. having the circuits on a ground fault also isnt a bad idea, as you are playing in a wet environment.

• Like 1

As a former electrician I am not going to tell you what you need for you you listed because I can guarantee you that you are going to need alot more than you have listed… a lot more. 
The reason I say this is because I am currently planning a fish room…it is 10 x10 and like you I started thinking of all the things I would need power for…lights …pumps…air…shop vac for when I spill a crap ton of water(not if but when). Dehumidifiers if needed.  Heating or cooling ( I live in south Florida so basically hell hot) of the room if your not using heaters. 

I am running 3 independent circuits to the the room.  If you have to run 1 then running 3 takes only min more and I want to ensure I will never need to run more and all will be GFCI Protected. 
i am telling you this so you don’t make the same mistake I did and having to redo it!  
please reach out if you have any questions! 

I will help any way I can!

• Like 4

On 7/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, ARMYVET said:

As a former electrician I am not going to tell you what you need for you you listed because I can guarantee you that you are going to need alot more than you have listed… a lot more. 
The reason I say this is because I am currently planning a fish room…it is 10 x10 and like you I started thinking of all the things I would need power for…lights …pumps…air…shop vac for when I spill a crap ton of water(not if but when). Dehumidifiers if needed.  Heating or cooling ( I live in south Florida so basically hell hot) of the room if your not using heaters. 

I am running 3 independent circuits to the the room.  If you have to run 1 then running 3 takes only min more and I want to ensure I will never need to run more and all will be GFCI Protected. 
i am telling you this so you don’t make the same mistake I did and having to redo it!  
please reach out if you have any questions! 

I will help any way I can!

You think I need more than 35 amps total? 

On 7/5/2021 at 6:21 PM, lefty o said:

the above sounds about right. also, no extension cords under ground. proper wiring only. no cutting corners on household electrical, as when things go wrong they usually involve burning down the place. having the circuits on a ground fault also isnt a bad idea, as you are playing in a wet environment.

What do you mean by ground fault?

On 7/5/2021 at 9:51 PM, Jimmy said:

You think I need more than 35 amps total? 

What I’m saying is when you think you have everything figured out it turns out you missed something or your ideas change and you add something .   
I originally had planned 2 15amp circuits. That was until I talked to some people and went and saw a couple fish rooms.  They were fire hazards with extension cords everywhere.  When I asked about it they all said the same thing.  “Didnt think I would need it” …I came back and redrew everything to 3 20 amp circuits it’s only 1 additional and made everything 20 amp GFCI  I cannot imagine ever needing more than that but if do I built in the capability to expand and add if needed.  

I promise it’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 9:57 PM, Jimmy said:

What do you mean by ground fault?

Ground fault measures the imbalance in the hot to neutral and grounds and trips the breaker if an imbalance is detected.  Water can create an alternate path for electric to flow past the ground and create and electrical shock hazard. 

• Like 2

On 7/5/2021 at 6:59 PM, ARMYVET said:

What I’m saying is when you think you have everything figured out it turns out you missed something or your ideas change and you add something .   
I originally had planned 2 15amp circuits. That was until I talked to some people and went and saw a couple fish rooms.  They were fire hazards with extension cords everywhere.  When I asked about it they all said the same thing.  “Didnt think I would need it” …I came back and redrew everything to 3 20 amp circuits it’s only 1 additional and made everything 20 amp GFCI  I cannot imagine ever needing more than that but if do I built in the capability to expand and add if needed.  

I promise it’s better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!!

I appreciate the feedback. Idea of this room is to be very simplistic, I don’t think I’d need much more. I even thought about cascading the rack so I can use one row of lights to light two rows of tanks

On 7/5/2021 at 10:01 PM, Jimmy said:

I appreciate the feedback. Idea of this room is to be very simplistic, I don’t think I’d need much more. I even thought about cascading the rack so I can use one row of lights to light two rows of tanks

I understand …my suggestions are just that suggestions.  You know what your plans include.  I just want you to really think and plan and rethink and replan.  Electrical is deadly.  I lost a close friend of mine because he cut a corner when wiring his hot tub and it failed and he was an electrician. 
Please be safe above all!  
Feel free to ask me any questions.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:06 PM, ARMYVET said:

I understand …my suggestions are just that suggestions.  You know what your plans include.  I just want you to really think and plan and rethink and replan.  Electrical is deadly.  I lost a close friend of mine because he cut a corner when wiring his hot tub and it failed and he was an electrician. 
Please be safe above all!  
Feel free to ask me any questions.

Ya electrical freaks me out. I’m sorry about your friend that’s hard. Here’s my box

CDA0370F-9A85-43DA-9E14-401305CA0889.jpeg

On 7/5/2021 at 7:23 PM, ARMYVET said:

Is the fish room going to be in the garage?

Yes, it’s detached. The circuit to it got hit a few years ago so I’ve had nothing running out to it. You think I need to upgrade my panel? If not, maybe my best option is to dig the trench myself and pay a electrician to run two new circuits?

You have one open circuit in the panel.  You can place a single pole 50 amp breaker. Run 6 ga wire out to the garage to an auxiliary circuit panel that has 4 slots.

Back
  1. 71UOHqSOEeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  2. 31wXjzP%2Br0L._AC_SY580_.jpg
  3. 310iCrVkziL._AC_SY580_.jpg
  4. 31En9Z9DYqL._AC_SY580_.jpg

This one is like 35 dollars. You then can have up to 4 circuits for whatever you need all running back to the main panel. 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 10:47 PM, lefty o said:

find out what code is for trench depth. you can dig it yourself, run the wiring, and pay a sparky to do the hookup.

Trench should be 24 inches minimum where I am at… I always go 6 inches beyond that to cover my bases.  I also over ground everything.  I ground to the panel.  I would also ground to an independent ground rod closest to the auxiliary panel. 

I believe the current code where I'm at requires GFCI for kitchens and bathrooms. Basically, where water has a higher probability of contacting electrical. I'd personally follow this if wiring a fish room as well.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:17 PM, ChemBob said:

I believe the current code where I'm at requires GFCI for kitchens and bathrooms. Basically, where water has a higher probability of contacting electrical. I'd personally follow this if wiring a fish room as well.

Absolutely correct!  Also all exterior outlets have to be GFCI. The main and each independent branch circuit and you would be covered.  

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 7:46 PM, ARMYVET said:

You have one open circuit in the panel.  You can place a single pole 50 amp breaker. Run 6 ga wire out to the garage to an auxiliary circuit panel that has 4 slots.

Back
  1. 71UOHqSOEeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
  2. 31wXjzP%2Br0L._AC_SY580_.jpg
  3. 310iCrVkziL._AC_SY580_.jpg
  4. 31En9Z9DYqL._AC_SY580_.jpg

This one is like 35 dollars. You then can have up to 4 circuits for whatever you need all running back to the main panel. 

I had no idea there were single poles that are 50amp. I only have a 200 watt panel, is this a problem? Again thank you for answering all my questions. I might need to hire out but at least at this point I’m a bit more educated and won’t get taken for a ride

if you need to do a new run to the garage, definately do your own digging. no point in paying sparky money when you can do it yourself. pay the man to do the actual electric, at least then you know it is safe and up to code.

• Love 1

I agree with @ARMYVET. Being an electrician myself if you have the space to put a sub panel in i would. Based on the pics of your panel you should have room. You may need to have an electrician come out and move a circuit from the right side to the left where that spare is to balance the load and open up a two pole slot for your sub panel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/6/2021 at 1:35 AM, RyanU said:

I agree with @ARMYVET. Being an electrician myself if you have the space to put a sub panel in i would. Based on the pics of your panel you should have room. You may need to have an electrician come out and move a circuit from the right side to the left where that spare is to balance the load and open up a two pole slot for your sub panel. 

Sub panel being in the shop, right? Thank you for the feedback 

On 7/5/2021 at 8:41 PM, ARMYVET said:

If your maxed out at the main panel …you can upgrade the main breaker to a 250 amp and problem solved.  Too bad you not local…this is an easy 1 day project…but you have to do the digging 😂

I appreciate all of your feed back, I will be finding a electrician. Worthwhile investment. I feel a little more knowledgeable thanks again

On 7/6/2021 at 7:10 AM, Jimmy said:

I appreciate all of your feed back, I will be finding a electrician. Worthwhile investment. I feel a little more knowledgeable thanks again

No problem....all this discussion had me thinking and rechecking all that I am doing as well so thank you for that.  My subpanel in the garage/fishroom is an 80 amp sub (ability to increase to 150 if needed)  and will house 3 20 amp GFCI breakers with the ability to add more if necessary all running to my generator panel. (I have a whole house generator...we live in hurricane alley) If the power goes out the generator kicks in and the fish room keeps on running....well at least that is the plan.  

• Like 1