10 gallon stocking options

McB00STED

Hey everyone, returning aquarist looking to stock my tank once my cycling is complete. My main concern at this point, is the idea of stocking and stocking levels kind of baffles me. Everyone on the internet always seems to say something different regarding what are and aren't acceptable stocking levels, so I honestly figured I would just ask the community to get a better idea. My current plan is to stock with 6 oto's, 6 pygmy cory's, and some cherry shrimp. Forgoing a typical centerpiece fish for some more smaller catfish. While Aqadvisor says its fine (image included of stocking levels from them) it just seems like a lot to have in a small tank. Since it would be setup for catfish, I have some driftwood and caves setup, and plan to add lots of plants to add cover and a more realistic environment for them. If all ends up working, I plan to add the shrimp first to help build the beneficial bacteria, then the cory cats, then the oto's. I will have a separate algae growing environment to add alage covered rocks to the aquarium as a food source so the shrimp and oto's hopefully don't go hungry. I would love feedback and opinions on this, since ultimately the health and quality of life comes first for the little guys. Thank you all for taking the time to read, and have a wonderful day!

AquStockImage.php.png

I think the comments above 100% nailed it on the aesthetic drawbacks you might have with this.  But I think this is 100% doable too.  You'll need to make sure you feed right but the nice thing with this combo is i don't think anyone will out compete for food, especially if you spread wafers or gel around the tank. 

There are 2 facets to stocking.  1 is bioload.  plants, algae, and water changes are effectively negative bioload.  The other is a question of how much room they have to do their thing. 

If you're considering tetras or something middle/top dwelling i'd do them first then add the otos during the the new-tank diatom explosion after the glass has gotten nice and brown to give the often starving otos a nice boost when they move in.  I don't have cories so I'm not as sure what they eat, but i hear they're easier to feed.

Also I've tried every food with a picture of an oto on it ( 😅 ) and have had good success with hikari micro wafers (YMMV though).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, McB00STED said:

Hey everyone, returning aquarist looking to stock my tank once my cycling is complete. My main concern at this point, is the idea of stocking and stocking levels kind of baffles me. Everyone on the internet always seems to say something different regarding what are and aren't acceptable stocking levels, so I honestly figured I would just ask the community to get a better idea. My current plan is to stock with 6 oto's, 6 pygmy cory's, and some cherry shrimp. Forgoing a typical centerpiece fish for some more smaller catfish. While Aqadvisor says its fine (image included of stocking levels from them) it just seems like a lot to have in a small tank. Since it would be setup for catfish, I have some driftwood and caves setup, and plan to add lots of plants to add cover and a more realistic environment for them. If all ends up working, I plan to add the shrimp first to help build the beneficial bacteria, then the cory cats, then the oto's. I will have a separate algae growing environment to add alage covered rocks to the aquarium as a food source so the shrimp and oto's hopefully don't go hungry. I would love feedback and opinions on this, since ultimately the health and quality of life comes first for the little guys. Thank you all for taking the time to read, and have a wonderful day!

AquStockImage.php.png

I think this would be a great idea! In my experience, I find that once pygmy cories get comfortable in their aquarium, they will spend a lot more time midwater provided there is sufficient plant cover around this area as well. In fact, I think an addition of a few more cories would work out fine. I would up the number to at least 10. Added bonus with these extra numbers is they will feel safer and are more likely to occupy the midwater region.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 3:44 PM, lefty o said:

i should add, if you stock with these critters, do the shrimp last, they really need a mature tank to thrive.

Good to know, thank you for both of your replies! I suppose I want to now ask (and hopefully this doesn't sound stubborn) but is your concern of them all being bottom dwellers coming from lack of floor space, or that the stocking of those two fish would make a more plain looking tank? (or both) Catfish are my favorite kind of fish so I don't mind the absence of an emptier upper and mid range aquarium. If it is a concern of floor space, would it be better to just up the number to 8-10 of either the cories or otos?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 7:35 PM, McB00STED said:

@CorydorasEthan and @Patrick_G thank you both for your replies and help! While I have you any plant recommendations? I'm thinking anubias nana, moneywort, and a java fern for planting purposes.

No problem! I think those plants would work out fine. I would also include some kinds of plants that can make a sort of jungle in the tank, since it will make the fish feel more secure. Maybe dwarf sagittaria?

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 6:54 PM, McB00STED said:

Good to know, thank you for both of your replies! I suppose I want to now ask (and hopefully this doesn't sound stubborn) but is your concern of them all being bottom dwellers coming from lack of floor space, or that the stocking of those two fish would make a more plain looking tank? (or both) Catfish are my favorite kind of fish so I don't mind the absence of an emptier upper and mid range aquarium. If it is a concern of floor space, would it be better to just up the number to 8-10 of either the cories or otos?

imo, might be a little crowded on the bottom. not saying you cant do it, just the bottom will be busy. 

• Like 1

I agree with most everything suggested above, If you want to add some more mid to high level small fish go for it, if you love the corys and want them to be the focus go with more of them. Plants help offset the bioload of the fish, but even without plants a super crowded tank can be maintained healthily by doing regular water changes.

On 6/17/2021 at 6:58 AM, Jeff said:

My vote is a group of Chili Rasboras. I have some in my 10g, and I really enjoy them. They stay towards the top, and are small; so you could go with another small group that stays in the middle.

I really liked the look of chili rasboras! My only problem with them (as silly as this may sound) is if I had cherry shrimp, I was worried about having too much red haha.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:10 AM, Scott C said:

I agree with most everything suggested above, If you want to add some more mid to high level small fish go for it, if you love the corys and want them to be the focus go with more of them. Plants help offset the bioload of the fish, but even without plants a super crowded tank can be maintained healthily by doing regular water changes.

Yeah, after doing some more reflecting, I think it might just be too busy on the bottom for all the fish to have a good time, so I'm probably going to scrap one of the catfish schools for a mid level school.

• Like 2