Controversial Betta Question

So I know it has been said Bettas are "1 single male" tanks or "1 single female maybe a sorority in a larger, planted set up".  

I have seen community tanks with a single male Betta or a single female Betta with other compatible tank mates. 

I am wondering if I should try. My tank is well planted, 16 gallons, is going to have snails, a few neo shrimp, panda corydoras, and a couple otos. Do you think it is a good idea to try and put a Koi Plakat female/male in with this selection? 

I know it is an individual by individual basis and depends a lot on the temperament of the Betta but was interested to see if it is a good idea. 

You can definitely have a betta in a community tank. It might eat your shrimp babies. It should go fine with the corydoras and Otos. I would add the Betta last, as then it is coming in to another fishes’ “territory” but totally doable.

• Like 2

My suggestion is this.... add the betta last.

If you add them early on, and then others, the bettas see that (often) as invasion of their territory.

If you add the others first, and then the betta last, they (often) see it as "these fish came with the territory" and it can help with them not being AS aggressive

• Like 4

We have added bettas to an established shrimp tank (10 gallon).  The male dwarf gourami we had in there temporarily did more damage to the shrimp population than either of the bettas.  One thing that I've done is added a rock pile for the shrimp. They can go in there if they feel threatened and when they molt. Full credit for that idea goes to Lucas Bretz, and watching his videos.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyler LaZerte said:

So I know it has been said Bettas are "1 single male" tanks or "1 single female maybe a sorority in a larger, planted set up".  

I have seen community tanks with a single male Betta or a single female Betta with other compatible tank mates. 

I am wondering if I should try. My tank is well planted, 16 gallons, is going to have snails, a few neo shrimp, panda corydoras, and a couple otos. Do you think it is a good idea to try and put a Koi Plakat female/male in with this selection? 

I know it is an individual by individual basis and depends a lot on the temperament of the Betta but was interested to see if it is a good idea. 

I have a single male betta with 2 Otots, 4 Albino corys, and 1 Nerite snail.  They get along fine.  I did previously have him with some shrimps but they did not last... I don't know if the problem was me or him though.  He would stalk them and watch them, but I never *SAW* him take a bite... But bodies were missing. 

• Sad 1

My Betta Hugo is male halfmoon. He lives in a 5 gallon aquarium with his neon tetras, and dobby the nerite snail. He is very laid back and even likes to swim with them sometimes. As @lefty o stated not all bettas can have tank mates, some will be like my betta and will be best freinds with the tank mates, others will make it their life long mission to kill everyone in the tank. I would say most will tollerate tank mates. 

My betta was in the aquairium a few months before adding the neon tetras.

681543472_BettaTank(2).jpg.a5bdbc6db86442df118f85eb8b46c176.jpg

Here is a video made by girltalks fish that explains bettas in community tanks, and she explains the difficulties she had with her previous/ current betta:

• Like 3