Pico/Nano Aquarium Recommendations

GameCzar

I was recently watching the "TEENY TINY ideas for your Nano Aquarium" video with Cory and Dean, and it got me excited to try a 3 gallon project. 

We have extremely limited space in our tiny apartment, but I have a space approx. 11.8 x 15.7 on a table that supports up to 44lbs.  

I had been looking at this Tetra LED Cube Shapped 3 gallon, but the mixed reviews have me a little trigger shy on this one.

Does anyone have any recommendations on alternatives or experience with this product?

Also I can't seem to locate that 3 gallon in the aforementioned video (the one that houses Clifford) anywhere.  Is it no longer available?

Thanks!

91tVlPurwhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

As a beginner myself I find three gallon tanks to be difficult to keep stable. I’d recommend going a bit larger if you can. 

I really like the Petco Imagitarium 6.8 gallon. We have one and it fits on my wife’s desk. It’s has a great filter that accommodates extra media if needed. 

923C8F20-0E6A-4F42-ADE5-D9E5B4BBA273.jpeg

• Like 1

I had the same version but it was 1.5 gallons. 

I do have some complaints about the tank though...

• The light was very cheap and could not grow plants. I did drop it in the water a few times and it still worked
  • It was a pain to maintain. Part of the reason it was 1.5 gallons. But the other part was there was no live plants due to the light.
  • The filter is wayy to overkill. And its just as bad as the light. The one nice thing is that you can adjust the flow, it was still blowing around each fish.

I would reccemend to go with something bigger. A great tank to have is the Marine Land Portrait Tanks, they are super sleak and nice looking, have a very small foot print due to the fact of how tall it is. This tank will just BARELY fit in that space. But it should still fit.

I also like to go to big box stores like petsmart, petland, petco and just browse there nano selection. I have been thinking about putting a tank right next to my betta tank which is the simmillar dimensions then yours. I have found that these petstores have a lot of fun nano tanks.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, James Black said:

I had the same version but it was 1.5 gallons. 

I do have some complaints about the tank though...

• The light was very cheap and could not grow plants. I did drop it in the water a few times and it still worked
  • It was a pain to maintain. Part of the reason it was 1.5 gallons. But the other part was there was no live plants due to the light.
  • The filter is wayy to overkill. And its just as bad as the light. The one nice thing is that you can adjust the flow, it was still blowing around each fish.

I would reccemend to go with something bigger. A great tank to have is the Marine Land Portrait Tanks, they are super sleak and nice looking, have a very small foot print due to the fact of how tall it is. This tank will just BARELY fit in that space. But it should still fit.

I also like to go to big box stores like petsmart, petland, petco and just browse there nano selection. I have been thinking about putting a tank right next to my betta tank which is the simmillar dimensions then yours. I have found that these petstores have a lot of fun nano tanks.

Yeah, there's a lot to be desired honestly with this setup.  I'd rather put the components together I prefer if I can find just a tank that is suitable. 

Our family has two GloFish 3 gallon all in one tank, 9"H x 9.5"W x 7"D (in the tank) 9.5" total (that includes the back part of the tank with pump/filtration). I use mine for quarantine, but I started one for my Mum which now houses 2 African Dwarf Frogs and some bladder snails. Comes with a decent light, it's all glass, with a nice curved front. 

Resized_20210524_160721.jpg

Resized_20210605_192227.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Our family has two GloFish 3 gallon all in one tank, 9"H x 9.5"W x 7"D (in the tank) 9.5" total (that includes the back part of the tank with pump/filtration). I use mine for quarantine, but I started one for my Mum which now houses 2 African Dwarf Frogs and some bladder snails. Comes with a decent light, it's all glass, with a nice curved front. 

Resized_20210524_160721.jpg

Resized_20210605_192227.jpg

Such a cute tank!

21 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

A colorful killifish could work well in a heavily planted nano tank. Or a pair of Pygmy Sunfish.

F2F30DF5-0242-4112-BD9A-D046424DA953.jpeg.4a34164142dea8d0e5d674f39c586a70.jpeg

8F870380-07EB-47E1-9540-AD87364BAFB0.jpeg

Looks like these might be hard to source in my area.  That pygmy sunfish sure is a beauty! 

• Like 1