Pico/Nano Aquarium Recommendations

GameCzar

1 minute ago, GameCzar said:

I did!  Is there something I should be aware of? 😉

It does tend to lower the PH so depending on what your tap water PH is your tank water might end up a little to acidic for Neocaridina (cherry shrimp). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

It does tend to lower the PH so depending on what your tap water PH is your tank water might end up a little to acidic for Neocaridina (cherry shrimp). 

Well dang I got the plant and shrimp stratum hoping that would be ideal for the shrimps. 

15 minutes ago, GameCzar said:

Well dang I got the plant and shrimp stratum hoping that would be ideal for the shrimps. 

The same thing happed to me. I have slightly acidic tap water and the Stratum lowers it even further. I think it’s geared towards raising Caridina shrimp that thrive in more acidic water. 
I’m sure you can still keep and breed Neos, but they’ll be happier if the water isn’t too acidic. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Patrick_G said:

The same thing happed to me. I have slightly acidic tap water and the Stratum lowers it even further. I think it’s geared towards raising Caridina shrimp that thrive in more acidic water. 
I’m sure you can still keep and breed Neos, but they’ll be happier if the water isn’t too acidic. 

I think we've decided to go with some Tangerine Tigers that specifically say they were bred in Cardina parameters.   I think they are gorgeous, and they should appreciate the stratum. 

Aquarium Masters, Deep Blue, and Seapora are all the same low-iron aquariums. The one labeled as 5 is because it can provide five spaces with four optional glass dividers. I describe it as an approximately 2.5 gallon aquarium, and I have three of them with organic soil, two with shrimp, with the third soon.

I have three of their 3.5 gallon cube tanks, two with mulm and plants, and a third as a planted organic soil tank with a betta.

I also have a 1.25 with organic soil, plants, wood, and snails: a wet houseplant.

Those are all in my indoor journal.

If you start a tiny tank, it helps to let it season for a while with plants and wood. I only top-off my tiny tanks, but I might be lucky with my water, since I can off-gas chlorine with some time in a bucket. Another option would be to top-off from a larger stable tank.

Cheers

• Like 3

In a little late to this thread,  but I have 8 different Fluval Spec IIIs going right now.  Great advice from @Patrick_G on the Fluval Stratum.  I use it in all my tanks and also have acidic water. When new for the first 6-8 weeks in a tank it can really drive the PH low.  I've run into situations where, again when new, shrimp that are fine on decor and plants, but keel over stunned if they touch the substrate.  You really want to monitor it closely (sample water at the substrate not just the top of the tank) when it's brand new.  Once it stabilizes it does a great job at building a "banging biome"- the challenge in small tanks is getting  a large enough surface area for beneficial bacteria to keep up with the waste generation going on.

Great advice from @Streetwise as well on seasoning the tank - I've had similar experiences where wood, a thoughtful combination of root feeding plants and water column feeding plants, and some time for everything to get rooted go a long way at creating at stable tank.

Good luck and enjoy your tank!

• Like 2