Vacation Fish Tank Problem

Romans116

I’m going on an 8 day vacation in a couple days. I have someone coming to feed my fish and I’ll do a water change before I go but I’m worried about my plants. I don’t have an automatic light switch thing and it isn’t really the best option for multiple reasons. Both my tanks are heavily planted and don’t want my plants to die. Could I leave the blue light on? Would that be better so that plants still get some light but my poor fish aren’t stuck in bright lights? Has anyone else had this problem and maybe a possible solution?  I might be able to figure something out with the automatic thing but it would be difficult.

I don’t think I’ll be able to get them in time (I’ve only got 3 days) but also I’m kind of already overloading one outlet with 2 fish tanks and don’t have any spot to put them. I might try to set up something after my vacation. 

Amazon sells the timers too. 
My wife surprised me with these the other day.  They’re small so you might be able to fit one into a crowded outlet.

Smart plug, Gosund Mini Wifi Outlet Works with Alexa, Google Home, No Hub Required, Remote Control Your Home Appliances from Anywhere, ETL Listed,Only Supports 2.4GHz Network(4Packs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MFTYMV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_8MWPMKS16R33610DRA28?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

25451CAC-F913-461C-BF64-DC1B5FDFA321.png

Edited by Patrick_G

• Administrators

I second the timers. As far as your plants, they will be just fine for 8 days without having the lights on. You may not have any plant growth during that time, but they shouldn't die off. Even the ambient light in the room will help. As far as the blue light, all that you will grow with those on is algae. 

Your plants will be fine for 8 days. You probably don't actually need someone to come by and feed the fish either they will be fine not eating that long, I'd be more worried about someone over feeding my fish and causing problems than my fish not eating. 

The wifi timers are awesome, but if you can't get them in time don't sweat it. 

Walmart sells cheap plug timers whatever you plug in goes on off at your choice times. I agree you will only grow algae. I do not think plants can utilize the blue spectrum. I would toss in an extra air stone for fish just because I’m paranoid the oxygen level they are use to will decrease but I’m like that.