Needed: A splash of color!

Hey all!

I'm looking for an easy to keep plant that would provide a bit of color to my tank as all my plants are green.  I've got a crypto green, so I was trying to stay away from a crypto red.  All of my plants are low light beginner plants (amazon sword, windelov, dwarf hairgrass, aponogeton, crypto lutea).  I tried my hand at a scarlet temple but that ended... poorly.  I'm open to floating plants as well!  Any suggestions?

Martin

3 minutes ago, Martin said:

Hey all!

I'm looking for an easy to keep plant that would provide a bit of color to my tank as all my plants are green.  I've got a crypto green, so I was trying to stay away from a crypto red.  All of my plants are low light beginner plants (amazon sword, windelov, dwarf hairgrass, aponogeton, crypto lutea).  I tried my hand at a scarlet temple but that ended... poorly.  I'm open to floating plants as well!  Any suggestions?

Martin

Like you . . . I failed at Scarlet Temple. Have you considered Ludwigia Repens? The underside of its leaves turn pinkish-purple. I understand your misgivings about crypt . . . but bronze crypt are really nice dark contrast to green plants. We have one little red melon sword from CoOp that has proven very resilient.

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 2.40.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 2.43.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 2.46.03 PM.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks all, I forgot to mention, my tank is a 10 gallon.  I read up on the repens and understand that it can get quite large.  Given I already have the aponogeton, I'm not sure how well it will all hold up.

Since you already have some other Crypts "going on",  you might want to have a look at Cryptocoryne Spiralis Tiger.  It grows tall thin pointed 9-12" leaves that can vary from pink to burgundy in color.  I have it in a couple of my tanks and really enjoy it.  One heads up- I've gotten it from two different sources.  One appeared to have grown it submerged - this plant has been fast growing (tripled in size in about six weeks) with straight leaves that have a bright green vein up the stem.  The other appears to have been grown "in air" - these plants have been very slow growing (not even doubled in size in three months) when submerged and have had curled leaves with a dark brown/black vein up the stem.  I'm not clear if the differences are simply due to how they were grown or if there's different subspecies of this plant.

On the opposite end of height,  Cryptocoryne Nurii / "Rosen Maiden" might be another thing to look at.  It grows to the same general footprint size as Wendtii Crypt varieties (Green/Red/Bronze) but it tends to grow leaves that lie flat on the substrate.  The leaves have green edges, gold centers, and black and pink veining in them.  Extremely slow growing, so they're a little tricky to find as full grown plants.  You can find it as a tissue culture more readily, but again it's a slow grower, so it can be 6 months or more before the culture really starts to mature into a well rooted plant.

Edit- A Red Melon sword might be another thing to look at as well.

Edited by NanoNano
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Martin said:

Thanks all, I forgot to mention, my tank is a 10 gallon.  I read up on the repens and understand that it can get quite large.  Given I already have the aponogeton, I'm not sure how well it will all hold up.

Ludwigia palustris is smaller than ludwigia repens, almost guaranteed to be red and pretty hard to kill. Ludwigia repens is itself very easy to keep a manageable size, just trim it when it gets too big.

• Thanks 1

Wow, so many beautiful options... I'm gonna need a bigger tank. 😈

On 5/24/2021 at 1:54 PM, Joe L. said:

Maybe Pink Flamingo Crypts?

Wow you are right, that bad boy is a really beautiful, (seemingly) low lying plant.