Starting shrimp colony

Tinyfellows

18 minutes ago, Tinyfellows said:

What does everyone like to feed their neo shrimp when starting a colony before fish are in?

They really like a well-seasoned sponge filter. Ample Java Moss is always appreciated as well. Otherwise . . . just finely pinched fish food, fry powder, and some Omega One Algae Wafers have all been some things we've fed ours. Above all, shrimp thrive in a an old, mature tank. 

• Thanks 1

maybe squeeze an old sponge filter(aquarium co op  brand works best 🤣) in the tank to get some detritus. I would not feed hikari algae wafers it could be from something else but I always have a shrimp die after feeding it btw I don't have a colony yet so I only had 10 shrimp to start and I lost 1 after feeding, same thing with the first time I had shrimp

• Thanks 1

Repashy Super Green...they love the stuff.

Repasy Super Green was created for algae eating, herbivorous fish and invertebrates. It is made of purely plant-based ingredients and does not contain any animal products or byproducts. This makes it an ideal food for fish who's main diet would naturally consist of plants. This food is rich in plenty of vitamins and minerals to boost fish growth and health long term. Otocinclus, shrimp, snails and many more will find this meal delicious and nutritious.

• Thanks 1

Fluval Shrimp Bug Bites and Hikari Crab Cuisine

They love the crab cuisine and its fun to watch them all attack it.  They seem to fill up on it pretty fast though and stop doing their day job of cleaning the tank....With the larger pellet size I have to remember to just do a bare minimum amount of pellets to avoid having it sit at the bottom. 

• Thanks 1

I've been feeding Sera Shrimp Food (pellets).  They have a fairly high protein and filler content,  but my Neo shrimp and Trumpet Snails make a beeline for them and the pellets are always totally consumed within a couple of hours. 

• Thanks 1