Accessibility in the hobby

clovenpine

Just reading this thread with interest. I wish there was a 'top tips' list pinned to help people like us, with all the ideas above included? @Cory this would be truly helpful for newbies. 

I have a rare condition called CTEPH (chronic thromboembolic disease with pulmonary hypertension) which happened after covid gave me three large and dozens of small pulmonary embolisms. I also have long covid, severe asthma and inflammatory bowel disease. All of which are new so adapting has been a steep and sudden learning curve.

Long story short, at just 42, I'm a wheelchair user with the stamina of a poorly 90yr old lol. I don't yet need a chair indoors but can't stand for very long so normally need various seats or stools to rest on, dotted around the house. I also have some neurological issues which make remembering and learning very difficult.

So...the point! To try to improve my quality of life hubs and I are planning a custom aquarium and it's been quite challenging. I do have prior knowledge but alot of is 15yrs out of date so the struggle has been for things like choosing lights and catching up on latest tech or info.

Things I've found helpful

1. A sump, accessible at knee to waist height when sitting means just reaching in and replacing/washing sponges without needing to stand

2. Going big on the aquarium to reduce frequency of maintenance 

3. Using either a python system or similar to empty and refill the tank

4. Having the stand customised to a lower height so that if I do have to stand to feed the fish etc I don't need to stretch

5. Adopting Cory's philosophy of making things easier! Don't overstock, don't stretch yourself too much to start with and ease into it. Try to plan ahead to avoid needing to do more maintenance than necessary.

6. Long handled everything! Pruning scissors, algae scrapers, nets. Buy it or mod it. Grabbers can be used underwater in bigger tanks.

7. Make sure your end goal is to be able to enjoy your tank. And not end up stressing about it.

Things I'm still struggling with:-

1. Hubs is going to have to scape this tank for me. I'm just not up to reaching in to arrange decor or substrate.

2. I'm lucky he's my back up for maintenance if I'm poorly

3. Building in a crisis plan if something goes wrong and I'm on my own.

4. How to site plug sockets low enough to reach from sitting but still safe from drips/splashes

5. Learning. Instructions. Large print (I don't see so well anymore). It would be so good to be able to access a large print PDF of instruction manuals for your equipment. That's why I love YouTube videos, so much easier!

6. Planning maintenance to be short. My energy budget is so small but I want to be involved in this project rather than have hubs do it all. This part is hard and some things I guess I'm just gonna have to be ok with. I can't up the frequency because I don't have the consistency of health.

7. Test kits although I've seen some great tips above for these!

Sorry for the super long post. If anyone knows of a YouTuber that shows tank maintenance from a wheelchair please let me know.

It would be easier to not have a tank but then mental health is so important, especially when you can't leave the house.

We'll make this thing work 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

I know  you can turn ipad on greyscale  or  turn a single photo  on ipad to greyscale  or you if you have windows computer you can  use Microsoft /Windows Paint (free comes with Windows )  and turn a photo to greyscale Turn Photo Greyscale on Windows /Microsoft Paint   thanks @Torrey for the tip   reading the colors I must have a touch of old age and sight issues  I have trouble reading colors on strips or liquid  test ..  most times i have better luck on the ACO test strips  but at times i have trouble with those ,, Along with with sight problems I have a disability and will go into that on another post .. I have  made things better for myself with the hobby it might help others 

• Like 3

I have been thinking of starting a journal I never really been a blogger or  and not a photographer  taking photos  And was not sure if there was many who would be  interested  I am not very interesting and I  was not sure if there was many who had disability that it would help 

this will be a long post .. sorry get the chips and drink out ..

I was born with Cerebral Palsy  and only have one hand  and arm it affects my leg to and i walk with a cane  on good days and a walker on my bad days  and with the CP i have arthritis due to CP and family history ..   my aquarium is my therapy to keep me active ..  and it helps my mental  sanity too .. I am divorced live alone .. plus I took a early retirement  moved back to my home state to help my mother and sister in law  with my  older brother with Parkinson’s Disease that is bed ridden 

and  I love working  on my tank and Photoshop graphic design and photo repair … it is a escape andI  love watching Cory and other fish  videos And I love  this forum and appreciate all the advice i get  ,,  I do most of my fish hobby  maintenance myself  except  for building stuff  changing hoses on my  canister filter  ( with my arthritis i can not get hoses  rings tight enough where it will not leak  ) I have a good support team  of my younger brother and cousin for this stuff  .. and my guy at my Local fish shop has help too with ideas ,,  I do not get to the fish place often have to travel 1-2 hours to get there  and I do not drive ,, with CP seizures comes with it ,,  so i shop at ACO  and amazon mostly ..

Here is a few tips 

1: Five gallons  buckets are rough to handle and carry for me they sell 1 and 2 gallon buckets with a handle i know Home Depot  has them i have 6  and 1 cheap plastic gallon pitcher with handle   does wonders too  ..

2: Larger 40-55 gallon is better and easier to take care of then smaller tanks ,, I have a 55 gallon and it is easier  to take care then my 20 gallon ,, I have had 10, 20, 29 gallons in the past  i do not want to go no higher then a 55 gallon  i do not want to have to climb .. plus i do have the space either 

3 Sponge Filters and  canister filters are best for me with one hand ,,I use to have hangback on my smaller tanks but with my location of tank a hangback was not possible to use and maintain with one hand and  the power internal filter was a pain to handle too

.. i tried all the brands  of canister filters I tested them all and there was only one i could do myself  i took them all back because i could not handle it  myself but with one ,

, I had to pay extra  for it but i would be lost without it  it is the Oase Biomaster  it is easy to handle  and carry and the inside was easy to handle and best thing it has a  carry handle  to carry it  absolutely love … .. and it has a prefilter ,love that too .. , I clean the prefilter every 2 weeks and the inside 1-2 months ..   I can tear it down and put it back together myself except tighten the screws on the hose when i change and clean the hoses ( i have extra hose for when i clean the  hose ) 

I do not understand why  more canister filter does not have a carry handle I know Oase has a bad rap from some people but the canister has been a godsend ,, if you buy from the Oase site  you get a better and longer warranty,, and the US Customer Service was amazing The ACO Sponge Filters i love easy to clean and handy for fast set up of quarantine tank in a hurry love the coarse material 

3: With one hand the Python Hose  hose and system is a nightmare,, I use trash cans on a dolly with wheels for water changes and i use a water pump and water hose for water change  get wheels for all your trash cans i have  a trash can with wheels for my waste water ,,,, The gravel  vac hose can be tricky too ,, always had trouble with it  ,, 

I use this dyi vac and i know it works on sand 

4:Cleaning Do not over do   … do not try to do everything  at one time  I work on my tank every day .. i work on  a little at a   time one day i clean gravel  or sand   , next day clean plants     next day root tabs or fertilizers and etc then i do a quick water change or water top  after i am done  

5 Get a good cleaning crew of Snails shrimp or pelco or another algae eater,, With my cleaning crew and my plants cleaning the sand  and tank is lots easier 

6: Not everyday or task is not going to be Easy Peasie  in fish aquarium keeping … so give yourself a credit and love   and keep on going never give up and a enjoy it  A good Break  with a cocktail 🍹  and loud rock music 🎵 does wonders ,, the key is to have fun even if things go wrong 

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 3
  • Love 3

as someone with issues, arthritis has eaten all the cartilidge out of my wrists, i have learned what i can and cant do is a matter of experimenting to see what works, and what doesnt.  some things dont bother me much , other things i can only do in short duration before it becomes too painful. one size doesnt fit all when it comes to physical limitations. always great to see new ideas, because it may be something that works for me, or can be modified to work better than what i currently do.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@lefty o you are so right ,, you have to try different things and work what is best for yourself ,,,i take different advice and work the best for me ..  and there is some days  that is good and  some days that is not ,,,  you have to work what is best for you and your needs  .. 

@Softbreeze thank you  I appreciate it  i was not sure ,,, who it might help  i might start a thread here on the forum but it might be  more of a show off thread   i do not do the camera well with one hand  but taking a video is easier for me then the camera ,, and my tank and plants are looking better  

Edited by Bev C
  • Like 2

I'm in good health, with no disabilities, but I'm 61, and not as strong as I once was.  Here's a couple things that help me.

• I always hear about people with their 5 gallon buckets, but they make smaller buckets.  I bought a 2-1/2 gallon bucket from one of the big chain pet stores that I like very much.  It has a spout for pouring, an indentation on the bottom on the opposite side for a hand-hold when pouring, volume indicators on the inside in 1/2 gallon increments, and it's white (which makes it easy to spot fry or shrimp that get sucked up in water changes).  I will happily make two trips with it instead of one trip with a 5 gallon bucket.
  • I removed the hoses that came with my gravel vacs and replaced them with longer ones.  My large one has 30' of hose, so I drain my large tanks outside or into the shower.  I have about 8' of hose on the smaller one.  While doing water changes with it this longer hose lets me sit the bucket on the floor.
  • Like 2

On 6/29/2022 at 3:40 PM, Bev C said:

I have been thinking of starting a journal I never really been a blogger or  and not a photographer  taking photos  And was not sure if there was many who would be  interested  I am not very interesting and I  was not sure if there was many who had disability that it would help 

this will be a long post .. sorry get the chips and drink out ..

I was born with Cerebral Palsy  and only have one hand  and arm it affects my leg to and i walk with a cane  on good days and a walker on my bad days  and with the CP i have arthritis due to CP and family history ..   my aquarium is my therapy to keep me active ..  and it helps my mental  sanity too .. I am divorced live alone .. plus I took a early retirement  moved back to my home state to help my mother and sister in law  with my  older brother with Parkinson’s Disease that is bed ridden 

and  I love working  on my tank and Photoshop graphic design and photo repair … it is a escape andI  love watching Cory and other fish  videos And I love  this forum and appreciate all the advice i get  ,,  I do most of my fish hobby  maintenance myself  except  for building stuff  changing hoses on my  canister filter  ( with my arthritis i can not get hoses  rings tight enough where it will not leak  ) I have a good support team  of my younger brother and cousin for this stuff  .. and my guy at my Local fish shop has help too with ideas ,,  I do not get to the fish place often have to travel 1-2 hours to get there  and I do not drive ,, with CP seizures comes with it ,,  so i shop at ACO  and amazon mostly ..

Here is a few tips 

1: Five gallons  buckets are rough to handle and carry for me they sell 1 and 2 gallon buckets with a handle i know Home Depot  has them i have 6  and 1 cheap plastic gallon pitcher with handle   does wonders too  ..

2: Larger 40-55 gallon is better and easier to take care of then smaller tanks ,, I have a 55 gallon and it is easier  to take care then my 20 gallon ,, I have had 10, 20, 29 gallons in the past  i do not want to go no higher then a 55 gallon  i do not want to have to climb .. plus i do have the space either 

3 Sponge Filters and  canister filters are best for me with one hand ,,I use to have hangback on my smaller tanks but with my location of tank a hangback was not possible to use and maintain with one hand and  the power internal filter was a pain to handle too

.. i tried all the brands  of canister filters I tested them all and there was only one i could do myself  i took them all back because i could not handle it  myself but with one ,

, I had to pay extra  for it but i would be lost without it  it is the Oase Biomaster  it is easy to handle  and carry and the inside was easy to handle and best thing it has a  carry handle  to carry it  absolutely love … .. and it has a prefilter ,love that too .. , I clean the prefilter every 2 weeks and the inside 1-2 months ..   I can tear it down and put it back together myself except tighten the screws on the hose when i change and clean the hoses ( i have extra hose for when i clean the  hose ) 

I do not understand why  more canister filter does not have a carry handle I know Oase has a bad rap from some people but the canister has been a godsend ,, if you buy from the Oase site  you get a better and longer warranty,, and the US Customer Service was amazing The ACO Sponge Filters i love easy to clean and handy for fast set up of quarantine tank in a hurry love the coarse material 

3: With one hand the Python Hose  hose and system is a nightmare,, I use trash cans on a dolly with wheels for water changes and i use a water pump and water hose for water change  get wheels for all your trash cans i have  a trash can with wheels for my waste water ,,,, The gravel  vac hose can be tricky too ,, always had trouble with it  ,, 

I use this dyi vac and i know it works on sand 

4:Cleaning Do not over do   … do not try to do everything  at one time  I work on my tank every day .. i work on  a little at a   time one day i clean gravel  or sand   , next day clean plants     next day root tabs or fertilizers and etc then i do a quick water change or water top  after i am done  

5 Get a good cleaning crew of Snails shrimp or pelco or another algae eater,, With my cleaning crew and my plants cleaning the sand  and tank is lots easier 

6: Not everyday or task is not going to be Easy Peasie  in fish aquarium keeping … so give yourself a credit and love   and keep on going never give up and a enjoy it  A good Break  with a cocktail 🍹  and loud rock music 🎵 does wonders ,, the key is to have fun even if things go wrong 

That was great! I would read more. If you start a Journal let me know and I’ll follow it.

On 6/29/2022 at 5:40 PM, JettsPapa said:

I'm in good health, with no disabilities, but I'm 61, and not as strong as I once was.  Here's a couple things that help me.

• I always hear about people with their 5 gallon buckets, but they make smaller buckets.  I bought a 2-1/2 gallon bucket from one of the big chain pet stores that I like very much.  It has a spout for pouring, an indentation on the bottom on the opposite side for a hand-hold when pouring, volume indicators on the inside in 1/2 gallon increments, and it's white (which makes it easy to spot fry or shrimp that get sucked up in water changes).  I will happily make two trips with it instead of one trip with a 5 gallon bucket.
  • I removed the hoses that came with my gravel vacs and replaced them with longer ones.  My large one has 30' of hose, so I drain my large tanks outside or into the shower.  I have about 8' of hose on the smaller one.  While doing water changes with it this longer hose lets me sit the bucket on the floor.

Farm supply stores which are now popping up in the burbs have great size pals and buckets in the feed sections.

• Love 1

@Bev C, you should absolutely do a journal. It’s inspirational that you’re maintaining multiple tank with just one arm and limited mobility. 
You should post some of your art too. I really like the background on your profile and of course the Panda Cory in you signature. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@Brandon p bless your heart thank you for your kind words  and @Patrick_G thank you for your kind words to   I only have 2 tanks   a 55 and and a 20 gallon I do not have room for more LoL 😂 ( maybe that is good  thing i would have a fish room if i had more space and time  ) i use the 20 for quarantine, holding tank  or a experiment tank mostly   i am experimenting with plants and  home made root tabs fertilizer  at the moment ,,,, i do not keep fish in the quarantine full time  I keep 2 sponge filters in my 55 gallon   for extra filtration and emergency  I love the sponge filters  ,, But I am debating of making  my quarantine  tank into a shrimp only tank though ,,  want to experiment raising them  

Thanks  for  interest of my graphics my time is pretty full at the moment with the care of my brother and i do not get to do it much I would like .. At the moment I do more photo repairs  for people in my extra time  it helps pay on  the fish hobby obsession LoL  

I am thinking of starting a thread in the journal section  more of occasionally show off  and post thread   when i started  with live plants my tank was awful looking. but it is looking little better ,,,plus i take better video then photos  if i do it  I might have more video then photos on the thread 

Edited by Bev C