Miller's Journal

Three day marathon. This tanks length allows for 12 species and the below picture has 15. IMG_0406.jpeg.979c79c8ebba7b6b0a4489da57f967d0.jpeg

Started working on it again last night and dropped to 12 species.IMG_0409.jpeg.37256a29e8a8595f5a5fd22aff268358.jpeg

I’m not loving it but hope when it grows in I’ll see where it needs to go.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/16/2024 at 4:51 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Three day marathon. This tanks length allows for 12 species and the below picture has 15. IMG_0406.jpeg.979c79c8ebba7b6b0a4489da57f967d0.jpeg

Started working on it again last night and dropped to 12 species.IMG_0409.jpeg.37256a29e8a8595f5a5fd22aff268358.jpeg

I’m not loving it but hope when it grows in I’ll see where it needs to go.

Seriously good start!  Can’t wait to watch it develop.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2024 at 8:51 AM, Mmiller2001 said:
On 7/14/2024 at 12:42 AM, Aussie Bloke said:

I get this green shit in exactly the same spot, between the sub and the glass!

I've been stressing over it lately, but maybe it's nothing much to worry about? 

Yes, pretty common. To resolve it, inject some H2O2 along the front glass.

Now that was worth the time to be perusing….

all this time I have been carefully excavating back substrate, cleaning with a scrubby, moving the substrate back etc…

next time it grows I am going to try injecting some peroxide…

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 3:50 PM, Pepere said:

next time it grows I am going to try injecting some peroxide…

Just an FYI, always be very careful about total dose because you can full on wipe out all tank inhabitants.  I only use 3 mls per gallon of the 3% no matter how I’m using it.  You probably don’t need to turn off filters / pumps if you’re injecting into the substrate but your biofiltration can potentially take a hit if you’re not careful, especially if you use the higher dose recommended some places.  I turn off all filtration / pumps when using peroxide so the peroxide doesn’t go into the filter and so it stays in place as much as possible where I want it working.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 8:38 PM, Odd Duck said:

Just an FYI, always be very careful about total dose because you can full on wipe out all tank inhabitants.  I only use 3 mls per gallon of the 3% no matter how I’m using it.  You probably don’t need to turn off filters / pumps if you’re injecting into the substrate but your biofiltration can potentially take a hit if you’re not careful, especially if you use the higher dose recommended some places.  I turn off all filtration / pumps when using peroxide so the peroxide doesn’t go into the filter and so it stays in place as much as possible where I want it working.

This is definitely possible, I should have added how much I use. So thank you for bringing this up. I personally inject or spot dose 15ml to 20ml of H2O2 per 10 gallons. I’ve never killed fish or shrimp at these numbers and this dose is very effect for filamentous type algae and cyano algae.

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 10:38 PM, Odd Duck said:

Just an FYI, always be very careful about total dose because you can full on wipe out all tank inhabitants.

Yes. In addition to limiting total dose, my plan is to do it before weekly water change.  Dose, let set with filter off for 15 minutes, than do weekly water change.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2024 at 1:32 AM, Pepere said:

Yes. In addition to limiting total dose, my plan is to do it before weekly water change.  Dose, let set with filter off for 15 minutes, than do weekly water change.

This is exactly what I do.

Battling GDA these last few months. Ugh

IMG_0442.jpeg

Edited by Mmiller2001
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2024 at 10:19 AM, Mmiller2001 said:

Think I’m nearly there now. Just need to let things fill in and fine tune a few things and this tank should be ready. 

are you going to play around with varied heights on the background or is the goal to get everything to the same length?

On 8/13/2024 at 12:16 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

are you going to play around with varied heights on the background or is the goal to get everything to the same length?

Have to yes, this was post changes and reset. That Limno grows pretty darn quick. I just reset yesterday. You can kind of get an idea how fast it grew. I cut all the stems back down and propagated 2 stems.

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

Since I updated the picture, I will add my weekly comments for those that follow. I pulled 1 stem of Limno just in front of red plant and am propagating 1 stem behind the Helanthium that you can’t see as of yet. The curtain plant on the left doesn’t work so I ordered Blyxa Aubertti to try. It’s a taller Blyxa with a bit of darker colors and gets pretty tall. Hopefully it gets here quickly. They still have not announced the AGA so I feel I may have a bit of extra time.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

On 8/13/2024 at 3:48 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

Have to yes, this was post changes and reset. That Limno grows pretty darn quick. I just reset yesterday. You can kind of get an idea how fast it grew. I cut all the stems back down and propagated 2 stems.

IMG_0498.jpeg

IMG_0497.jpeg

Since I updated the picture, I will add my weekly comments for those that follow. I pulled 1 stem of Limno just in front of red plant and am propagating 1 stem behind the Helanthium that you can’t see as of yet. The curtain plant on the left doesn’t work so I ordered Blyxa Aubertti to try. It’s a taller Blyxa with a bit of darker colors and gets pretty tall. Hopefully it gets here quickly. They still have not announced the AGA so I feel I may have a bit of extra time.

I have not followed for a while so i was going to ask which fish are in this amazing tank? The fish on the left bottom corner looks cool, all plants are looking great @Mmiller2001.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/13/2024 at 2:17 PM, Whitecloud09 said:

I have not followed for a while so i was going to ask which fish are in this amazing tank? The fish on the left bottom corner looks cool, all plants are looking great @Mmiller2001.

Those are Albino Sterbai Cory’s. 

Stocking;

12 Sterbai Cory cats 

22 Bloodfin Tetra

8 Golden Gardeneri killifish (Absolutely amazing fish)

12 Amano Shrimp

I would like 4 more Killi, but I’m not sure when my local guy will have them back in stock.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still no AGA announcement!

I received some Blyxa Sp red, not pictured here, that I will try as my left curtain. It’s in rough shape so the extra time is good.

I’m looking to extend the Natans more left and maybe swap it to another option I have growing in the 120. We will see.

image000002.jpeg

IMG_0541.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• 2 weeks later...